4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:50 pm 

I have many thing running in my car and I am starting to have electricty problems - the idle is very low if I even turn on my rear defrost and head lights are very dim

I have the stock things running (headlight, interior lights of course)
a dvd player, tv, 1600w Kenwood amp and my Clarion deck

I have spoken to 2 electrical automotive shops and one said that I should get my existing stock alternator re-spun and the other said that that won't make much difference and that I should get a higher amperige alternator but they said that the space is very limited around the stock alternator and that it would take ALOT of money and time to get a bigger one in

Most of the time I have the tv and dvd disconnected while I'm driving but the power thing is still a big problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions ..... is it worth getting my alternator re-spun, I'm also planning on getting a cap for my amp to see if this could help out a bit?

thx alot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:02 pm 

Also if this helps out - I was running an alpine V12 and 2 JL12W0's
and the remote was hooked up to my deck, but I was having a problem where the remote was going down to 9volts instead of staying at a constant 12v which would turn the amp off (the new Kenwood) I then hooked the remote up to my main car accessory and the remote stays at 12volts but now I'm having this power problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:09 pm 

have you installed a capasitor? that would wer loss if it is due to your stereo ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:28 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

No, that's not going to help out the situation, I have a 15 farad cap and deep cycle battery in mine, and it dosn't stop the car from just about dying when bass hits for more than a second. You either need to get a second battery with an isolator or bigger alternator, that's it.

1g ECU, Injectors, Exhaust manifold, 16g evo III Turbo, SMIC, and C Exhaust cam -9*
K&N Air filter, airbox cut up, MSD plug wires, NGKs, Apexi S-AFC II, MAF translator, tubular o2 housing w/ dump tube, Full 3" mandral.

Now I ran out of fuel!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:29 pm 
Restricted Newbie

an optima battery would help some too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I would post this in the Stereo/Mulitmedia section but barring this post getting moved......

You have alot of load for your tiny little alternator. It might be max rated at 65~75 amps I believe, maybe bigger if you had A/C setup. (If anyone know the true specs please interject - I'm just going to use this for a comparative reference 8) )

The 4g15 engine is meant to idle at very low speed and the alternator doesn't start giving you any real good charge - like stereo's NEED to have, until you start revving the motor up. The alternator has a winding/diode {tri-w or the other :o ) setup that is meant to give better output in the high RPM range not essentially down low, down low is another setup altogether for cars that can't rev like ours :twisted:

Getting a rewound, higher amperage alternator is probably your best route to start, but having said that, I always tell people with any real system that pounds, install a capacitor. Why a cap? stress relief for every thing in the electrical chain - it is like having an instant battery tap right at the amp and thus semi reducing the impact of their load (install positive within ~9 inches of the amp)

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/488838/2
This shows the setup I had just for ref... (4x10" subs in med. bandpass box-shook itself apart!)

When you install the capacitor you can actually see a difference in the way the alternator is hit every time the bass sucks power from the front- less needle bounce if you have a volt guage installed.

Berserko installed a rewound alternator on his ride a while back ....{hope he doesn't mind the reference :lol: ) just gonna search for a link to a site with alternator replacements/rewinds...

http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/store/ ... lternators

Check locally for alternator/starter rebuild shops and get prices and warranties for their work.

This has all been IMHO :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:36 pm 

BTW, I have had the same problem since I put my stereo in also. My dash lights seem especially dim. But I have TV/DVD Phoenix Gold ti600.2 and ti475 with the 15 farad power core. My alternator has lasted two and half years amazingly enough, let me know how the alternator swap/rewind goes, I wouldn't mind having bright headlights.

1g ECU, Injectors, Exhaust manifold, 16g evo III Turbo, SMIC, and C Exhaust cam -9*
K&N Air filter, airbox cut up, MSD plug wires, NGKs, Apexi S-AFC II, MAF translator, tubular o2 housing w/ dump tube, Full 3" mandral.

Now I ran out of fuel!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:43 pm 

I disagree that an Optima battery will help, the only advatage to that is faster charge/discharge rate, and keeping voltage up until very low (deep cycle).

I also have to disagree about the cap. Read a little, you'll find that a cap is only effective for milliseconds of time, especially a 1 or 1.5 farad, that's nothing. Do some asking around in car audio forums. You'll find these "solutions" are just band-aids, and not good ones at that.

Now I ran out of fuel!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:46 pm 
The Silent Administrator

JMirage,
You should really replace your alternator with a very high amp/ at lower rpm winding because Phoenix gear like in my link will suck and suck until (and I surprised yours alternator hasn't..) poof your car stalls or light dim right down, etc. I had a 90 amp alternator, 1000ca battery in front tray, Phoenix competition 14volt Bussbar (Batt isolator), and Red Top Optima battery hooked to the Phoenix ZX350 running 1.0~0.5 ohm mono, and small pioneer 200W model. I could suck my charging dial down to 8~9 volts in less than 5 mins at idle downtown with bass shaking my friends till body panels practically fell off.
This doesn't do much for the ears but it showed me that you really need an alternator that has alot of spare (generated) power to combat the additional loads of mass stereo installs. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:49 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Capacitors do help (albeit not necessarily in the SQ department) but you are right JMirage, not in the long term. :D

Our man with the questions at the top should probably try the bigger alternator and then the capacitor to tighten up big bass segments in the music.... sound okay / any concensus? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 8:33 am 
CSM Expert

If you find the right alternator shop they can take care of your alternator. I had my Alternator rewound to handle 210A continuous. Their first attempt got them to 155A you just have to find a competant shop to do your alternator...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:38 am 

I build alts.
i currently have a 200amp cs144 alternator with external regulation.
it has been very dependable(over 1.5 yrs) and i abuse it with huge loads(4000 watts of amplifiers,200 watt headlights,a/c.etc..)
i can build single wire alts(self exciting) with custom brackets. 8)

Team Canada at work
http://www.termpro.com/dbdrag/photos/E6 ... 81P25C.jpg