4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Bass Room!?!?!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:56 pm 
Voted off the island

i am trying to hook up a car audio amplifier in my room, i have found a 12V DC source for it but i need to know what i have to do to it in order for it to be safe for my amplifier!!!

it's a 12V car charger capable of 100 amp, all i need to know is what i have to change and what parts i need to buy,i can do it all at home....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:33 pm 
CSM Expert

You need a suitablbe power supply. 12VDC stabilized and able to supply the needed amperage constantly. The battery charger per se is not suitable when it can supply that power only for short amounts. I bet that 50 amps constantly drawn are safe. But 100 amps is really much, its as much as the starter draws! Are you sure it isn't 100 watts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 6:36 pm 

my mate had a setup like this in his room running two 12' sub's he could also move it to cars when he wanted. The way we done it was, build a small box which held a normal car battery, and 12 power supply. We had a voltmeter and ammeter hooked up to it also. Just plug it into the wall and charge the battery, then the amp would run off the battery. This made it mobile. You could get a fair bit of listening time out of it and when it went flat just plug it into the wall and recharge it.

If it's going to be in the same place then do as the ethereal said and get a power supply to step the mains voltage down and rectify it to DC these will also have the regulating circuitry build in. Just make sure you get one that can provide enough current (depending on amp being used).You shouldn't need anything near 100A. Take a look at the fuse size in the amp (20-30A?) and get something rated below this. Do not use a car charger!=smoke

hope there's something there that helps?? :wink:
good luck!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:31 pm 

High current mains droppers to make 12v cost a lot, look at some CB 13.8v power supplys. They are high current and best I think.

Also, lead acid batterys hate cyclic use, ie charge, discharge until flat, then recharging again. They work well in a car where it's being topped up all the time by the alternator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:34 pm 
CSM Expert

Don't forget that lead-acid batteries also release hydrogen as they discharge. I warned you, so I don't want to hear about a house exploding from hydrogen buildup. :-?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:38 pm 
CSM Expert

Yeah thats why you need a sealed lead acid battery like a Optima Yellow top. Guys I can't say it enough their worth like $200 cdn but you can leave your lights on for 8-10 hours come out start your car like nothing was even wrong what a great thing :)