4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm 

Bolted up the 16g to an evo 3 manifold on a 4g61t engine. However, none of the original lines match up to the turbo.

What are y'all using..and better yet can I get them as a set to finish the job up?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:08 pm 
The happy administrator

Use a stainless flex line for the oil feed, drain line should fit or use a flexible kit, water lines have to be bent or use a NT water pipe and delete the water lines.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:03 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Use a stainless flex line for the oil feed, drain line should fit or use a flexible kit, water lines have to be bent or use a NT water pipe and delete the water lines.
Delete the water lines? If the CHRA is designed for water-cooling then you should use it. You run the oil and water lines from a 14b turbo.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:16 pm 
The happy administrator

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:23 pm 
Some call me a god

I found some brass fittings laying around my shop that came with aftermarket transmission coolers, or with new radiators. They're pipe thread on one side and a 3/8" double flare line nut screws into the other end. I know the EVO3 big 16g coolant lines aren't pipe thread, but they fit pretty damn well. Just make sure you load the threads with thread sealer, wait for it to harden, and pressure test it for leaks before you install the turbo. Once you've done that, all that's left is to bend your own coolant lines out of 3/8" bendable steel line.
Quote:
Use a stainless flex line for the oil feed, drain line should fit
He's correct on that part, and you'll want to supply your flexible steel oil line from the FILTERED part of your oil filter adapter!

Here's a picture of what I did:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:37 pm 
The happy administrator

Off the head (which is restricted to >10psi) is better imo, it doesn't see the high pressure that it would off the filter housing. The turbo only needs a few psi of oil to keep it lubricated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:54 pm 
Some call me a god

Sorry for the double post, but here's a better picture of the parts you'll need:

You can get all this at your local parts store or hardware store, so you won't have to send away to FP or someplace and wait for the EVO lines and larger banjo bolts.

Don't make the mistake I made; buy a tube of thread sealer if you don't already have some. It's a lot easier to make sure it doesn't leak BEFORE you put the turbo in the car.

You will need a little tubing bender to get neat bends, and be sure to use two wrenches when you tighten the double flared lines onto the fittings.

I don't know how you're set up for tools, but if you have a torch, you can braze the little brackets from your old lines onto the ones you made.

Have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:00 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Off the head (which is restricted to >10psi) is better imo, it doesn't see the high pressure that it would off the filter housing. The turbo only needs a few psi of oil to keep it lubricated.

DO NOT run a restrictor on an EVO3 turbo. You need pressure to float the shaft. I read somewhere that you need at least 25psi of oil pressure to keep that type of turbo working.

If it was a BB turbo, then restrict to your hearts content.

Ps. I've never heard that the pressure at the cylinder head was restricted to less than 10 psi, how exactly is that accomplished?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:33 pm 
The happy administrator

So you're saying it's good for the turbo's seals to see 100+ psi spikes when running off the filter housing? Rhetorical question, I know the answer (it's no btw).

Take oil from the STOCK location, mitsu would tell you the same thing. Oil from the head is more than enough for an EvoIII 16G.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:54 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
So you're saying it's good for the turbo's seals to see 100+ psi spikes when running off the filter housing? Rhetorical question, I know the answer (it's no btw).
If the "seals" see 100psi, then your turbo's oil return must be clogged. You should check that.

I'm not going to go into a huge discussion about the physical laws of hydraulics, but you can take your filtered oil from the head OR the oil filter housing. It doesn't really matter. If it's enough pressure to float the camshafts on a layer of oil, it must be enough to float my brand new $800 turbo's shaft on a layer of oil. I hope. Or I'll just run the new stainless line form the freshly filtered source on the filter housing.
I've rebuilt enough engines to know that the oil passage that goes to the head, is the same pressurized oil that comes out of the filter, is the same pressurized oil that floats the crank, is the same pressurized oil that floats the rods, is the same pressurized oil that floats the camshafts, is the same pressurized oil that floats the turbo shaft, is the same pressurized oil that pumps into the sides of the lifters. The only "regulator" is the main oil pressure relief valve that keeps the system from exeeding 100PSI.

I take my oil from the filter housing because it gets the oil to my turbo (where I need it) faster at startup. But it's all personal preference.
Quote:
Take oil from the STOCK location, mitsu would tell you the same thing.
BTW: If you want to run everything stock, and to the letter of how the Mitsubishi techs designed it, then why would you suggest deleting the water pipes? And I hope you aren't boosting past 11PSI.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
NOT TRUE

If you're running stock boost forever, then running the oil feed off the head is fine. If you're trying to boost more than say, 15psi, you'll need to run it off the oil filter housing for more pressure. Ball-bearing turbos only need a little bit of oil to stay lubricated, but conventional bushing turbos benefit from more pressure greatly. Obviously, there is such a thing as too much pressure, but the only turbos I've ever seen be effected by this are PTE turbos because they have shitty seals.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:05 pm 
The happy administrator

Quote:
If you're trying to boost more than say, 15psi, you'll need to run it off the oil filter housing for more pressure.

Stating this as a fact?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:10 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Stating this as a fact?
Here's what I know. I ran a 20g on one of my cars a while back and used the stock oil feed line off the head. I killed the turbo in less than 6 months boosting over 20psi like that, not really sure if anything else could have caused it, but it looked like oil starvation. There's really no reason not to run the oil-feed off the filter housing, it's cheap and as long as you're not running a BB turbo it shouldn't have any ill-effects.