4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:15 pm 

this may sound kinda stupid, but a friend told me that the guages that i got, wont work on my car as they are mechanical guages, not electrical ones, is this true? cause i am just not sure....

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny, Copy Bunny into your signature to help in his quest for worldwide domination!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:58 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The gauges you are currently running are hooked together via wiring;

Oil pressure swith will ground and light on dash to show no oil pressure - located front of block 1.5 prob same on 1.6/4g63
Mechanical oil gauge will need a capillary tube installed into the cab from a tee on the block where the pressure switch currently sits. This will get you pressure reading.

Coolant temp will come from a copper tube with spiral metal wrap cover from a location on the side of the thermostat housing (if similar as 1.5 location) you need to find the connector for the dash signal versus the one sent to the computer (you MUST leave that one connected)

Tachometer pickup is electrical as are all the other tach setups, just different inputs. Needs a special hookup on the wiring if you have coil packs but I don't know for sure.

Volt/Ammeter gauge will need an electrial hookup. Volts needs any wire but can't figure (too tired but voltage will be better if taken near the alternator because it better isolates problems (like your gauge wiring lighting up in your dash from a light socket you might have left exposed and hit metal ground while live! oops....) Ammeter uses a setup attached near/at your coil.

All the gauges may need a path to power and/or ground for backlighting
You may have to drill a hole(s) and use grommets to bring the tubing/wiring into the cabin. Haven't looked at that on much yet as far as pulling wires into the cab. Others may know more there.

That's all I can think whilst I sit at the 'puter with my eyes half way to my eyelids halfway to my knees. :wink:

Anyone else got something for our guy here?

Tim will sleep now ..... zzzzz
(hope this solves any problems)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:12 am 

wicked, thanks flying eagle, but all i wanted was a simple yes/no answer, will mechanical guages work in my car. the guy who told me is a SUPER rice boy, and so i dont really trust his opinion, but i just want an informed bit of advice

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny, Copy Bunny into your signature to help in his quest for worldwide domination!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:28 pm 
CSM Junkie

Yes they will work.

An electrical guage oil pressure guage for example converts a mechanical signal to an electrical signal so you dont have to feed a high pressure oil line into your car.

A mechanical oil pressure guage is exactly the same except it doesnt convert teh signal into electrics and just runs a mechanical feed into the cabin. It's not the safest thing in the world to have hot oil splashing on you!

Check out my website: www.members.optusnet.com.au/~onnzo

Member #31

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:43 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Sorry M4VR1K,
Kinda answered your questions in a the longest roundabout way possible, as Switch just posted yep, they will work whether you want to tackle it or not. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:52 pm 

excellent, i will try and get these to work, as they were a gift from the olds thanks a lot guys

(\_/)
(O.o)