4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:59 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I just recieved a 86 Colt DL (Stripper lightweight model, 30,000 miles) and I'd like to do a turbo conversion. I realize the gas tank tank and fuel lines will we require upgrade (It" a carburetted 1.5) . Are there any drive line packages that will make the swap easier) I'd like some thing with the engine , trans and electronics as a package. What years would be compatible. Can anyone recommend a good source?
Thanks,
Guy Douglas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:25 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

The easiest swap will be from an '86 Turbo model with a G32B motor. You'll more than likely have to find a donor wreck in a salvage yard to strip everything from. Radiator, harness, engine/tranny, axles, knuckles/hubs/calipers/rotors, power steering rack, master brake cylinder, fuel lines to the tank and fuel pump. Its a big job. You'll be fortunate to find a donor close by. The '85 and '85 turbo colts and mirages would also be donor candidates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:27 am 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks, Phil. I've checked all the local wreckers, no luck. I was hoping that some of the newer generations might also be compatible.
Guy Douglas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:08 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Guy, Read back through the 1st-2nd gen group here and the archives. Many swaps are documented. My knowledge is limited. The '88 G32B that I have was purchased last Dec. from ebay for $100 - complete car - with a shot automatic tranny. I do know that there are subtle differences between the 86 and 88 G32Bs, engine mounts, intake and exhaust manifolds, oil pan etc. that would make even that swap and blend of the parts from both engines/chassis.

My guess is that after studying, you will be able to build a list a acceptable/desireable motors to watch for, then watch for one to pop up somewhere. Motors popup for sale on this forum regularly.