4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:35 pm 
Restricted Newbie

hi guys, i am new to this forum. i recently aquired a mirage hatch. code: C53A MNDF. Its got a 4G61T and i want to build some power, probably in the 250hp range. i am taking it bit by bit. i just got an adjustable fuel regulator and was wondering what's the best psi i should operate at? the car is currently on 10psi of boost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:03 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Run it at factory stock base pressure.
Manuals can be obtained here: www.lilevo.com/mirage/
Look for the 89 Colt Turbo labelled manual folder.
You have a rising rate 1:1 for boost, FPR right?

The most basic of mods can be cross over from the 1G platform which is the same engine setup mostly and alot of the same external parts.
Check out Vfaq.com for the best entry level mods.

Are you still on the factory turbo setup, 11b?
Stock exhaust, etc. We will need to know these things to better help you along.

First step beyond upping the boost with a MBC (Manual Boost Controller), is to install a FMIC setup, perform a fuel pump rewire kit install (also Vfaq material), and then look at cleaning up the exhaust and a few things in the engine bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:14 pm 
Restricted Newbie

THE CAR IS STILL STOCK. EVERYTHING ORIGINAL. MY NEXT STEPS WERE GUAGES (OIL PRES & AIR FUEL RATIO), COIL OVERS, SAFC 1, CLUTCH & PRESSURE PLATE UPGRADE, FMIC UPGRADE WITH PIPING AND BOV, WALBRO 255 FUEL PUMP THEN EXHAUST SYSTEM (NOT SURE OF THE SIZE). A STEP UP IN BOOST OR A TD05 16G UPGRADE WHEN ALL OF THE OTHER STEPS ARE IN PLACE. HOW DOES THAT SOUND? ANY ADVICE OR INTERJECTION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
THE CAR IS STILL STOCK. EVERYTHING ORIGINAL. MY NEXT STEPS WERE GUAGES (OIL PRES & AIR FUEL RATIO), COIL OVERS, SAFC 1, CLUTCH & PRESSURE PLATE UPGRADE, FMIC UPGRADE WITH PIPING AND BOV, WALBRO 255 FUEL PUMP THEN EXHAUST SYSTEM (NOT SURE OF THE SIZE). A STEP UP IN BOOST OR A TD05 16G UPGRADE WHEN ALL OF THE OTHER STEPS ARE IN PLACE. HOW DOES THAT SOUND? ANY ADVICE OR INTERJECTION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
A 16G would be a good upgrade, but it would require larger injectors if you really want to use it to its fullest. 550cc's are the bare minimum. EVO 8-9 injectors are a popular swap. At the same time it would also be good to upgrade the MAF sensor to a 2g Eclipse unit, or go with a GM MAF Translator (i happen to prefer to MAF Translator).

Also, turn off your caps lock and add a location in your profile, thanks.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 am 
The Silent Administrator

I forgot to add that we need the VIN for the VIN Registry, delinquent1!
If it's a Mirage, I just need the VIN to decode the car and options, but I need more to get a complete listing from Plymouth/Dodge. PM me if you are interested and I'll tell you more. Oh, General Discussion sticky has the VIN Registry post if you are curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:41 am 
Restricted Newbie

i will pm the vin info for u a bit later today. thanks for the help. the other problem i have is that where i live i believe that there are only two of these vehicles in the entire country. the evo 8-9 injectors wont be a problem to source but the maf's and other parts won't be easy. any help in this department will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:57 am 
Restricted Newbie

larger ports and valves? should i get it done or is there a head that could directly replace mine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:24 am 
CSM Junkie

You can get a 4G67 head of a Hyundai Elantra, they have the 4G63 head port sizes and the same combustion chamber size as your 4G61T head. This way you get the big ports, while keeping your compression the same. People have put the 4G63 head on a 4G61T bottom end, but it does lower the compression a good bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:12 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
People have put the 4G63 head on a 4G61T bottom end, but it does lower the compression a good bit.

Understatement of the century do to the lowest compression I think we could find over the last 40 years of mass produced automobile engines! Not razzing ya, just stating that loosing all that bottom end and having a completely improperly sized combustion chamber for the mated parts, will yield some not so good results from an "upgrade" standpoint. Grab that 4G67 head!

Last edited by Flying Eagle on Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 am 
Restricted Newbie

sorry about the late response got a little tied up. the 4g67 head. is it turbo or n/a? if turbo i have never heard of that and don't think we got that over here. also i looked on an elantra head that a buddy of mine has and it has 1.8l 3c enscribed between the cam gears on the aluminum and mine has 18 with a 5 below it in the same location, what does this mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:46 am 
The Silent Administrator

Check and compare to what we know from this post:
http://forum.4g61t.org/viewtopic.php?t=14041

You should have an NA 4g67 head, but it doesn't matter what type NA or turbo, as NA heads can be used and a port at the front passenger side of the head can be tapped for oil port supply to the turbo setup. Some NA heads already have the oil journal plug with allen key head, so you may get lucky, but not all came this way as it may just be a Mitsu thing because they are the only ones with turbo and NA versions of the same head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:50 pm 
Restricted Newbie

thanks for the info and link man. i am learning new things every day. i guess this means that i dont have to go looking for a 4g67 head. :lol: guess i could just mozey on along with my project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:52 am 
The Silent Administrator

Oh, almost forgot to remind you about the VIN('s)! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:36 pm 
Restricted Newbie

i pm'd the info as on the plate on the fie wall any additional info just ask.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:43 pm 
Questionable...

best is to start of with a stock turbo set up and just work yourself up by replacing some stuff with upgrades. Cams, intake manifold etc...