4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:51 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Odometer reset
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:01 pm 

does anyone have any tips on resetting the odometer????
have to match my new cluster mileage to the old one and would like not to ruin it since it has white dials.
Any help much appreciated!!! :oops: :oops:

Post subject: Re: Odometer reset
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:04 am 

ive tried a few times and they never seem to work.... on my van when I swapped the cluster I just wrote down the milage of old one... figured out the diff to the new one.. and put it on a sticky note and put it in the visor.. so when I need to I look at the milage then the paper and add them together.. I know im lazy like that lol...

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:46 am 

We have a yearly test in my country and the check the mileage... theyll give you a heap of crap in they know youve touched it...seen a thread on someone whos reset it but doesnt explain how

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
ive tried a few times and they never seem to work.... on my van when I swapped the cluster I just wrote down the milage of old one... figured out the diff to the new one.. and put it on a sticky note and put it in the visor.. so when I need to I look at the milage then the paper and add them together.. I know im lazy like that lol...

Steve
I actually was able to open my Vans up and "roll" it back to zero when I initially swapped it last year. I did the "JDM" odometer I bought for the tach first as a guinea pig and it worked fine so I did my MPH usdm cluster.

2003 Lancer Evolution 57k original miles
1992 Montero LS
1989 Plymouth Colt GT (AWD project)
1989 Dodge Colt GT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:22 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
We have a yearly test in my country and the check the mileage... theyll give you a heap of crap in they know youve touched it...seen a thread on someone whos reset it but doesnt explain how
For resale purposes it is highly illegal here in the states too. My van is old and I did it to keep track of my miles easier and probably never sell it, it would most likely head to the scrappers if anywhere after my ownership. Also in most states the title can be changed to say "not actual mileage" or "exceeds mechanical limits" if needed for legality reasons.

1992 Montero LS
1989 Dodge Colt GT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:59 pm 
administrator

I just changed a cluster to a GS one with the silver dials and all I had to do was remove the speedo needle and dial and replace the odometer unit that had the incorrect miles with the one from the original cluster with the correct miles, there are only 2 screws holding the odometer unit in along with a small pin for the speedo cable.

I had more trouble changing a 4g mirage S to the white LS cluster with tach because the LS speedo dial has an extra space for tenths of miles and a trip counter. I had to adjust the odometer that came with the LS cluster by removing the locking bar at the top that prevents the numbers from moving. I slightly bent the tabs at the top of the odometer unit that hold the locking bar so I could remove the locking bar. After the bar was removed I could force the numbers with my fingers to set the odometer to the correct mileage and then reinsert the locking bar and bend the tabs back.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
I had more trouble changing a 4g mirage S to the white LS cluster with tach because the LS speedo dial has an extra space for tenths of miles and a trip counter. I had to adjust the odometer that came with the LS cluster by removing the locking bar at the top that prevents the numbers from moving. I slightly bent the tabs at the top of the odometer unit that hold the locking bar so I could remove the locking bar. After the bar was removed I could force the numbers with my fingers to set the odometer to the correct mileage and then reinsert the locking bar and bend the tabs back.
^Exactly how I did mine. 8)

1992 Montero LS
1989 Dodge Colt GT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:56 pm 
CSM Expert

Easiest way is to use a drill on the speedo so you know where the MPH needle goes to. Mark it, remove it, unscrew the face and swap or adjust the odometer