4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:23 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I'm in the middle of gathering all of the parts for the AWD swap on my 89 Mirage. My car already has the following:
  • KYB AGX up front, GR2 in rear
  • Tenzo R springs (highest spring rate I could find)
  • Front and rear strut tower bars
  • VR4 RS AWD tranny w/viscous coupler eliminator (plan to weld diff)
I'm purchasing the following from Miller Import Parts:
  • 1g Rear driveshaft
  • 1g Complete 4bolt LSD Rear end
  • 1g 23 spline AWD Transfer Case
  • 1g Front Hubs
I'm not a mechanic, but I can handle the the engine and bolt-ons. I'm working with a mechanic/fabricator friend of mine to do the swap. I need help with the suspension and wheels/tires. This car will be a streetable drag car. It is not a daily driver and will be used on the street rarely except for driving to the track or if my daily driver is in the shop for a day. The previous owner did most of the current work. The fenders have already been rolled out a bit. The current set up would cause the fender to eat into the tire when hitting any nice size bumps or dips in the road. I would like to fit 15x8/r15 with 225/50s (Pirelli P Zero Trofeo R). Is this possible or do I need to stick woth 15x7s and a smaller tire? What offset for the 15x8 or 15x7? Also, I think the car will need to be raised a little bit and I'm not sure if that is possible with my current suspension. Any input there is greatly appreciated.

I know there are a lot of posts about wheels/tires/suspension. I have read through many of them. I was hoping more for a just a straight answer of Yes that works, use X offset, and your suspension should be fine.

Link to previous owner's build with pics. http://www.mx5atlanta.com/forums/showth ... ess)/page1

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:44 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I know a 15x7 +35 to +42 will work and fit well with a 225/50/15 hankook RS3 as well as a 24.5x8" slick with a set of 15x7 +40. I'm not sure about 15x8 but you could probably fit them, you'll just have a smaller window to get the offset and tire specs correct. 15x7 should be wide enough for most of the tires you'll be able to fit with your suspension setup and you'll save some weight, plus 15x7's seem easier to find. Slipstreams are the easiest solution, but it seems like everyone has them these days, including me.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:57 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Quote:
I know a 15x7 +35 to +42 will work and fit well with a 225/50/15 hankook RS3 as well as a 24.5x8" slick with a set of 15x7 +40. I'm not sure about 15x8 but you could probably fit them, you'll just have a smaller window to get the offset and tire specs correct. 15x7 should be wide enough for most of the tires you'll be able to fit with your suspension setup and you'll save some weight, plus 15x7's seem easier to find. Slipstreams are the easiest solution, but it seems like everyone has them these days, including me.
Thanks for the info! I actually have the RS3s on now, but they are 225/45s. Where did you find 225/50/15? I will look for some 15x7s. That's funny you mentioned the slipstreams. I keep seeing them everywhere online and the price isn't bad.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:13 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Sorry I meant 225/45/15 for the rs3s, but I've also ran a 225/50/15 Mickey Thompson ET Street without issue on a 15x7 Borbet Wheel