4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:43 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Okay so I've looked around the forums for any info related to this wire connector, and I guess ether I missed it, or someone has yet to decipher where/ what all the wires, and and pins go to, so since I have the pigtail here in my hands I'll take a snap shot of it and post it here, if anyone can help Identify the functions of this connectors wires, and where to connect them on a dsm it might help others in the future.

I own a "91 3 speed auto colt, but I some day intend to go 4G63T auto trans, so having all the right amount of wires for the O/d switch and power eco switch 4 speed sensors etc, so I sourced an auto trans pigtail from a 91 eagle summit, with a 4 speed O/D transmission, and now I got to figure out what goes where from a "91-94 1G dsm auto turbo harness to this under dash connector.

It's a light Grey connector with 15 pins, and according to my research, the connector is known as c-18 and its for the auto transmission, I'm still working on figuring out what the dsm auto trans harness needs to see in order to work properly with all the 3g csm O/D, and pwr/eco switches etc, but this is a step in the right direction.

Below are 2 helpful images of the same connector.

Side A
Side B
[I know I only need one of these dash pigtails to mate to a dsm c-67 connector, but I chose to include an image of both sides because I have not gone under my dash yet to find out which side I need yet.]

Pins and wire colors are as follows.

[pin#] [wire color ID from "91 summit 1.5, 4 spd o/d model made in DSM plant]

1:Green w/ White stripe.
2:Black w/ White stripe.
3:Not used? [no wire on both sides of connector C-18].
4:Red w/ Black stripe.
5:Yellow w/ Red stripe.
6:Brown.
7:Red w/ Green stripe.
8:Black [only present on connector side A, not present on side B, of the 4 speed O/D connector].
9:Not used on ether side A or B.
10:Yellow w/ Red stripe.
11:Black w/ Yellow stripe.
12:Red w/ Blue stripe.
13:Black w/ white stripe.
14:Green w/ Blue stripe.
15:Yellow w / Black stripe.

So thats what we need to decipher, if anyone has the functions of this connectors pins please share it here.

I plan on making other connector pin-outs to help members on here in the near future.

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Tue May 28, 2019 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:11 pm 

Some more findings related to this: I took a look at my "91 Dodge colt GL 3 speed, C-18 connector under my dash, and I noticed some more of the wires were missing from the connector, my thoughts are these wires have something to do with the 4 speed O/D switch, cluster illumination, and and perhaps the power/Eco switch. Miraculously all wire colors were identical to what I posted for the 4 speed C-18 connector, but in addition to pins 3,8, and 9 being absent, pins 4, 6, and 7, were also absent on the 3 speed connector... so pins 4:[Red w/ Black stripe] 6:[Brown] and 7:[Red w/ Green stripe] are the differences between the two transmission options. I'll do more research and get back with all findings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:28 am 

Here is what I have been working on, I'm not sure if it's all correct it needs further testing, but thats what this is all about trial and error.

Another thing I never discovered is, if the 3rd gen CSM cars had ever came equipped with a power/eco switch, like on the dsm cars, but worst case I guess I'll just custom wire that in separately.

Here is a reminder of the connector wire colors: CSM C-18

1:Green w/ White stripe.
2:Black w/ White stripe.
3:Not used? [no wire on both sides of connector C-18].
4:Red w/ Black stripe.
5:Yellow w/ Red stripe.
6:Brown.
7:Red w/ Green stripe.
8:Black [only present on connector side A not on side B].
9:Not used on ether side A or B.
10:Yellow w/ Red stripe.
11:Black w/ Yellow stripe.
12:Red w/ Blue stripe.
13:Black w/ white stripe.
14:Green w/ Blue stripe.
15:Yellow w / Black stripe.

Again this is not a tested to work 100% wire pin-out or anything, please excuse any errors, I will update info when I undergo the swap officially, but if anyone on here has swapped in the 4G63T with the F4A33 auto trans, please chime in and if you have the time, look over my pin-out theory for any errors, and Thanks in advance.

CSM C18 Wire functions...or so what I think they are from pouring over my "92 FSM guide:
1: Shift selector light [negative side]. {confirmed}
2: Dimmer switch signal for shift selector light [positive of shift select bulb] {confirmed}.
3: -Not used on my harness-
4: TCU power supply?
5: Auto trans self diagnosis [pin 6 on C-56].{confirmed}
6: Accelerator pedal switch ?
7: Over-drive off signal[goes to connector F-01 pin 2 on shift knob O/D switch] ?
8: -Not used on my harness- except on side A [I think it's a ground wire?]
9: -Not used on my harness-
{Note: so far the below functions have been confirmed to be correct on my csm}
10: L to Gauge cluster illumination.
11: 2 to Gauge cluster illumination.
12: D to Gauge cluster illumination.
13: Neutral to Gauge cluster illumination.
14: Reverse to Gauge cluster illumination.
15: Park Gauge cluster illumination.

This is as what I figure I'm looking at... well at least for now, I'm waiting for my manual wire harness to arrive for my mirage, which should be a bit simpler then the auto setup, but in the future I aim to swap my colt over to auto Trans 4G63T, that way I can sample both setups, have a good one everybody.

Last edited by mitsubishikid on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:42 pm 

I never bothered to map these out since 99.9% of the people swap to manual. I can tell you that my old 1.6L 89 Summit sedan did not have the eco/pwr switch like the auto dsm's do if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm 

Thanks 89mirageman, and I'm part of that 99.9% that wants a manual 4G63T lol, then again I suppose i'm also part of the other .1% as well, considering I took most of last night pouring over my fsm for the info on color functions lol.

I think I recall hearing about some dsmers adding the additional connectors from auto trans equipped dsms, and then just splice wiring them into there manual turbo dsm engine harness, to get the sensor signals they need... again I'm not positive on this, I'm not really into the auto trans cars by nature really.

but this much is certain I'm determined to find out what we need, in order to run the auto trans, it might take some time [since I will soon be focusing on my manual mirage swap]... but seeing as how my 3spd colt has a majority of this wire colors the same I can rule out a few of these, I'll use my ohm meter and see if at least the illumination wires are correct.

Breaking Update: Some good news, I went into my 3spd colt pulled c18 connector apart, and I just confirmed that pins 10-11-12-13-14- and 15 are all exactly what I have them listed as above, they light the green outer gear select lighting on the instrument cluster.

will edit the above post: I found out some other things were a tad off, but I was pretty close.

Also in case anyone is wondering, side A, of connector C-18, is the side you need to make a patch harness, and side B is what you will leave under the dash as is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:46 pm 

I did some further research, I went out to a wrecking yard and found a 4 spd csm, well it's really interesting to note what I found, it appears that the F4A22 trans has many of the same sensor connectors as the "91 Eclipse GST harness, I think it might even work for a swap, only I doubt it will hold the power of the 4g63 as well as an F4A33.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:19 pm 

Okay so I actually bought a 4spd gauge cluster, it has the over drive on/off light that is the only visible difference from my 3spd cluster so far...

After looking at the pins on the back at the parts yard, it appears the red w/ green stripe wire [pinout #7] also goes to the cluster as well, I think it is the O/D light for the dash of course this does not surprise me most of the wires from C-18 go eventually to the cluster, but this was one of the wires absent on the 3spd harness, and aside from going to the O/D switch on the shift select knob, it also sends power to the O/D illumination on the gauge cluster, letting the driver know if the car is in O/D or not.

I doubt the 3spd cluster has this wire on it's cluster connector, so I might need to pull a pin from a cluster pig tail at the wreckers, in order to add O/D, on/off cluster lighting, and btw the connector on the cluster that the red green pin #7 wire goes to is closest to the drivers door.