4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:25 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:57 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi all,

Recently i got my hands on a 1991 csm, it belonged to my girlfriends granny who had it since 1994. (http://mitsumiracle.blogspot.nl for pictures)
It is now time for a new heart. The 1.3 12v carb HAS to be replaced with something bigger, this lack of power is disturbing.. There are so many options, there has been a guy from Germany that fitted a 6G7.. but that is a bit too much for me.

My plan is to get a dsm (for about 500 euros) and use the engine, gearbox, harness, etc. for the csm. I am hoping to get a nice dailydriver with around 150hp fwd.

Okay, so here is what i think is correct after my research

The 1g dsm until 1992.5 has a gearbox that can be used with the same unequal length axles as the 1.3/1.5
I need a harness adapter (made by the geniusses on the forum) so the engine harness can go on the rest of the csm harness
I can use the brake calipers and brake cylinder and hyundai discs for the stopping power

Is this info correct?

The info on the forum for the swap of a 4g63t (copied from this site):

'89-92 Mirage/Colt/Summit Non-Turbo 1.5L

You will need the following parts:
-complete engine (injectors, turbo, manifolds, tb...)
-flywheel/clutch (from the same year engine that you are going to use)
-ecu
-DSM wiring harness
-DSM tranny(or mirage turbo tranny)
-Mirage Turbo timing belt mount
-Mirage Turbo rear metal mount
-Complete Mirage Turbo transmission mount
-MPI relay
-DSM starter
-Injector resistor pack from DSM
-upgraded fuel pump

So i know what i can use from the dsm, but.. can i use more from it? Instead of an upgraded fuel pomp, will the fuel pump from the dsm do?

For the mounts, do i need only the turbo mirage mounts? None of the 1.3/1.5?

Any help is appreciated!

Peace

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:01 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

you can use a stock turbo dsm fuel pump, but it will limit how much power you can make to... basically what dsms make with vary light mods running a 14b it should be okay,but I'd recommend you at least get an evo 8-9 fuel pump, or a walbro 190lph, just in case you decide to raise the boost or power in the future, plus a used fuel pump [depending on how many years of abuse it's served and the condition of the strainer] can be a liability.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:50 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi mitsukid!
Great advice, thank you! Another fuel pump wont be hard to come by i guess.
Upping the power in the future wont be necessary. Ill buy another car for that haha, i want this as my DD with a bit more guts. As a stock NA 4g63 made 150 hp give or take, i guess the custom exhaust and the cold air intake are enough to keep me happy with this car. My 1.3 uses 9L on 100km so i guess that the 2.0 wont be a big shock too!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:02 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

you can make the wire harness adapter... if you take some time and research all the connectors, I'm still in that process, but if you need it now and have the funds then just contact 89mirageman.

The 1989 Turbo Mirage mounts, can be a hard item to find, but you can source some from the 1992-1995 Hyundai Elantra [In some other countries the Elantra is known as the Lantra] just make sure the timing belt side motor mount is out of an Elantra with a manual transmission [if thats what your planning to run in your 4g63 swapped csm... if your planning on running an auto 4G63T then vice versa] also I recall reading somewhere that you can use the front motor mount from a 4g15 as is, and the rear needs some steel spacers or something like that, to bolt it to the 4G63T rear mount, I have yet to do the swap on my csm but this is from what I recall reading on here take it with a grain of salt.

I'm not too sure on the transmission mount, I think you have to use a combination of dsm and csm brackets and mounts but i could be wrong maybe it bolts in directly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:50 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hi mitsubishikid,

Thanks again for the input!
I cant really figure out what mounts to use, reading as much as possible on the forum, but there is so much info on 4g61 swap to 4g63, and so little on 4g13/15 to 4g63 swap..

In my other "thread" (introduction) and on the mirageforum. From my introduction i learned that a 4g63 dsm manual trans has the same axle diameter etc. so i can use my stock axles.

Since im buying the whole dsm for the swap i have the dsm mounts ;)

The elantra/lantra mounts are a good idea! I think ill just source all mounts for the elantra/lantra to be shure ;)

This week its finally time for my new schockabsorbers and springs. Next month the DSM, and hopefully a christmas present for myself, a swap during the holidays haha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:40 am 
Restricted Newbie

Okay, so there's some progress.
I bought the turbo mirage engine mounts. I lowered my car using a "cheap" coilover kit and now im looking for a 1g dsm NA with low milage.

I found out that the 1g NA dsm has a f5m22. Elsewhere on the forum i read that the f5m22 is like a km210. And if im right the km210 is a stock csm gearbox right?
So im going for the 4g63 NA with my original tranny (because of low milage and good condition) and the dsm clutch.

Could it be that simple? Am i (at least a bit) correct?

I hope someone still reads this haha
Any help is much appreciated!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:31 am 
CSM Junkie

I may be wrong, but what you want is either the F5M31 (KM210) or the F5M33. So, either the manual that came with the 2,0 NA DSM or the transmission that came with the Turbo DSM. Both fit with no modifications. The F5M22 is a weaker unit and not the turbo CSM tranny.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:53 pm 
The Silent Administrator

KM201 is the stock 5 speed 4g15 mated transmission. KM210 came with the 4g61 turbo motor. KM206 came with the 4g61 NA. Hyundai Sonata from the early 90's had the KM210 also I believe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:21 am 
Restricted Newbie

Okay, okay..
I don't know how i got confused haha

Thanks for replying (helping out a noob) Thomcasey and Mr. Eagle!

The F5m33/F5m31 can't be found here. At least, i tried but ended up with nothing.
Could i use my km201 in combination with the 4g63 from the eclipse?
Using the clutch from the eclipse trans?

The cheapest donor car that i can get is around 1500 dollars pre 1992.5
600 dollars if i get a 1993...
So the choice is easily made i would say but i dont know if the km201 will hold up.

I still hope to do the christmas swap. Just need these last details to go..
I eventually found a post in the archive by LILEVO explaining how to do the swap:
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=301

Btw, for a how to on making the Fox coiloverset for the mk4 csm fit on the mk3 take a look here:
http://mitsumiracle.blogspot.com

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:49 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Okay, makes kind of sense since i didnt find much info about the km210 and f5m22. Found a post where multiple people said that the km201 will fit, wtih the NA clutch plus flywheel, good news, im going to get a 93 eclipse, probably next week or so :)
Jeeh for me!

Thanks guys, appreciate the help and the forum for all its knowledge :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:37 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Be careful because the F5M35 FWD DSM transmissions switched to larger number spline count on the axles/center differentials at 92.5 model year!

The difference is 25 to 27 spline and a thicker axle.

All early and AWD transmission (standard shift) came with 25 spline axles Pre 92.5 model year.

You need 25 spline count axles and a transmission with a 25 spine front differential. It can be swapped if it is a larger spline count but lets not go there.

I'm not sure what motor would have been the breaking point where they installed the larger diff setup, but it may jump past the 1.8L NA DSM's )Talon/Eclipse/Laser) and only have been the 4g63t FWD models.

Be aware of this fact when you are reading through the threads from the past. If you have access to Euro ASA, then you can build the car, and almost assuredly find the transmission that should go with it and be able to backwards decode it from there (IE they tell you the trans code and you spec it to a chart of known codes - google).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Flying eagle,

Thanks for the reply!
I understand what youre saying, but those differences only were in the transmission right?

I mean: if i use my 4g13 trans on the 4g63 2.0 NA, i can use the flywheel and clutch from the 4g63 trans right?

In this post:
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37949

They say everything bolts right up. But still, itrust you more than anyone on the forum.. Your name is literally in every topic ever :0

I have found two f5m22 here in Holland. Its just that these cars are very hard to come by, especially the turbo ones..

Thanks for the help!