4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 1993 Lancer 4g61T swap
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:14 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Last year I bought a 4G61t off a fella who told me the turbo was shot but the engine is in good nick. I was planning to do a swap for a long time, but work got in the way, the engine been sitting in the garage for a year now. I got the head skimmed, changed valve stem seals and re-freshened the head. I also bought a non runner 1993 Lancer with a 4g13 MPI in it, its in great condition bar the ecu that died. Now yesterday I removed the sump and found a few small bits of metal and the block itself is very sooted from the inside, I guess it has a lot of miles, or lack of oil changes. The bores look spotless though, I can still see the honing marks. Since the engine is apart I will do the bearings and rings no questions about that. I have a set of 510cc injectors off an evo iv and a 16g twin port turbo to which I`ll have a manifold fabricated later on. However the engine harness that came with the engine was cut an inch off the ecu connectors. :-o I posted in the wanted section already that I`d need a complete harness, still waiting for somebody to offer me one, however the reason I started the thread is to ask what I`d need to make this conversion work. I am unsure about the wiring and electrical aspects of things, mechanically I know what needs to be done. Since I am planning to run a bigger turbo with bigger injectors ideally I`d need a different maf sensor too, or better go with a map sensor instead? What about tune? What options I have to correctly tune the car with the above mods in mind?

Please note my location, parts for evos and for this particular engine are rare as hens teeth. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:32 am 
The Silent Administrator

Run a stock turbo and ECU for the motor until you can deal with upgrading later on.

I assume your 1993 Lancer body looks like a C70 style bubble rear window Lancer, like the Galant Eterna 6th generation? If not, then this may take some work.

You only need a few extra wires run to make the turbo setup go with your stock loom. You will need knock sensor wiring, end to end with no cuts, including the insulation over the wire jacket!
Any turbo harness from a Eclipse/Talon from 1990-1994 will work, even the USDM Galant VR4, or J1 Elantra USDM 1992-1994.5, or stock 1.3/1.5/1.6L USDM Colt/Summit/Mirage. You will have to re-pin some of the ECU harness connections/splice into, but that is easy enough when you have the diagram to show your pins and can ohm out the wires to confirm where every pin is going on the engine bay side before setting the newly spliced wire into the ECM connector..

What we mainly need to see is pictures.

Pictures of the engine block you have, front, back, side and side, and the transmission you are going to use. Plus, pictures of the body style and mounts currently with the car.

You have a bunch of work ahead of you.

What is your timeline for this car/project? Till running?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:13 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks for the response, below a couple of shots I`ve taken today.

I wont`t be able to use the stock turbo because it is completely shot, since I have the td05 I`ll just go ahead and get a manifold fabricated.

First pic is of the car, currently garaged.

Next up is the current engine bay.

Couple of shots of the block I plan to swap in. The head is a big port 1.8 stamped and is ready, skimmed and all.

This is the ECU side of the harness as it was cut. I consider myself lucky as the wiring colours are still there at least. :D

A couple of pics of the bearings and journals-not looking too good. :(

I have no time limit to finish it as I have an other daily driver, a 4g15 c62a, however I would like to gather as much info as I can about the conversion and what I`ll be needing to complete it so I can prepare in advance. As I mentioned before parts here in Malta are hard to come by so I have to plan ahead.

PS> I have no idea what a Talon or Eagle is, I heard about the Eclipse but that`s about it. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:21 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The Talon/Eclipse is produced in Normal, Illinois, USA and were mainly built for the US and Canadian markets. They were shipped to Europe in limited numbers, and some may be over in the Asian markets too.

Okay, so you do have the Lancer CC platform, which for America/Canada was the 1993+ model year, it was earlier for cars made to go to the Asian markets. The CC platform got all weird with timings and body style carryovers if you search the wikipedia listing for Mirage cars.

The pics you show with the bearings removed and the actual retaining parts, don't look bad, because they only have to be flat and straight so as to retain the bearings properly, and not deform them while they are held in place and put through their usual stresses. A little dark spot on the face on the bearing, going across the shortest path, indicates wear but it is not into the copper/lower material yet. Everything that is placed on the top of the bearing is there for slickness and imbeddability, and you are just going through that material now.

As for your turbo manifold, you can use an 2nd generation Eclipse (95-99) or Evo 3 manifold, as they are essentially the same shape and design, and any td05 frame turbo (14b-16g/16G EVO3) will bolt to them. No need to fabricate and have to deal with those massive issues that will ensue as a result. No need for anything aftermarket, as bolt on factory parts can take you well into the 250-300HP/ft/lb mark with ease.

If we run short on answers, the boys over at http://www.mirageforums.net/ are the bomb-diggity for anything newer than our platforms. They specialize in the 4th generation Lancer (1993+ USDM and onwards).

Essentially, you may be looking for 7 bolt blocks and related transmissions, that use front and rear mounts on the transmission case versus the "ears" of the block.

What you have with the 4g61t motor is a 6 bolt motor.

I am lost as to which items cross over with regards to timelines, as I have only ever delved into the 6 bolt affair with some gusto.

We do have some active guys here who do however have lots of experience talking 7 bolt!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:32 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I am pretty sure that the engine mounts are the same, so the swap will be fairly straight forward, however the electrical part is still a mystery to me. Anyways I finished the car today, the replacement ECU has arrived, did a quick oil and front pad change and prepared it for a road worthiness test(it`s called vrt around here)-she is booked on monday. This car is actually one of the first of the new body shape models indeed, I think its CB body. Thanks for the info on the bearings, its reassuring that the engine is not bolloxed :D I`ll be sure to check out the other site you recommended Flying Eagle. I`ll throw up a picture of the current ECU maybe you`ll have an idea as of what needs to be done regarding wiring.

Cheers
Greg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:07 am 
Restricted Newbie

Well, I was a bit hasty about the mounts, as they are indeed different, the timing belt side has no L shaped mount just a straight one, and the subframe ones are located on the gearbox not on the block as Flying Eagle said. I hope the box do mate up with the block though, so I only have to make one custom mount. Pics to follow on the ECU.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:03 pm 
The Silent Administrator

When you check out the number of bolts on the crank that hold the flywheel/flex plate, 7 bolts and mounts on the transmission are the paired combination. You have a motor that will have 6 bolts on the crank shaft. They did not install the 4g61 motor with the newer styles transmissions, because the blocks were different. I don't think they would mount a block and transmission that both accept mounts ... never seen that way before.

Pictures of the ECU case, and you can find it's specs listed on partsbase.org (Online Mitsu parts program) or here in the engine archive at the bottom of the entrance page. It should be listed in the ECU swapping thread.