4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:18 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I happen to have a fwd 1g non turbo 2.0 dsm rack and pinion IIRC it takes 2.75 turns lock to lock, my question is has anybody made one of these fit in a 3rd gen hatch? I have heard of them being modified to work in 4th gens, I'm just curious if theres any information on getting them to work on the hatchbacks, I know obviously I could custom make it work, but if theres any reference information I'd like to read it in advance thanks for any input.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:41 pm 

I dont think anyone has attempted this yet..as the mounting brackets are diff i think.and possibly the locations of them as well..but if u can hold one up in place u might be able to make your own custom mounting brackets?

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:37 pm 

[idea #2] I have another idea... If I can find a non power csm rack, I could adapt the steering shaft to an electric power steering setup using a deciphered electric motor for a gm setup it seems more conducive to a future 4g63t swap, with the extra engine bay space, plus no more p/s fluid everywhere thoughts people?

of course I'm already on the lookout for a non power assisted rack for another member on here :lol: so I'd have to find at least 2 of em but I might be in luck.

The dsm rack has slightly movable rubber bushings, so they likely could be moved to the csm points, and mounting it might be a little easier then I initially thought, it looks like the brackets bolt hole distances are close to he csm racks it might work If I do do this I'll document it...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:25 pm 
CSM Junkie

I have looked at doing this in the summit wagon. it has a 3.0 rack and It handles well enough to need the 2.75. problem is the front frame is integral to the car so the rack mounts are right against the firewall. unfortunately the power lines are in the wrong spot on the talon racks. they would interfere with the firewall.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:13 am 

I remember reading about the differences on some website. I remember they said the 4g has a better ratio and to put a ps 4g rack into a 3g with some modification if I remember correct.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:55 am 
The Silent Administrator

Ninja Edit:

I previously wrote that the 93-95 rack would be a quicker ratio. This was not the case as rallysjd has pictures and evidence that only the quicker ratio early model Colt/Mirage turbo rack (1989) or the DSM/Expo all with 2.75 turns lock to lock. The DSM rack as mentioned puts the lines into the firewall, if being installed in some fashion on a firewall mount style car like the 89-92 CSM.

About 3/5's of the way down the page as I read it, lots of steering rack pics and comparisons.

Click for racks.

Looks like a DSM rack works in a 4G, so .... if the 4G mounts similarly to the 3G, then you may be onto something.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:18 pm 
CSM Junkie

what ratio is 4g mirage? what years are 4g?

according to rock auto those power racks are 3.25.

Last edited by lancerman on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:23 pm 

4gs are 93-96

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:14 pm 

Quote:
what ratio is 4g mirage? what years are 4g?

according to rock auto those power racks are 3.25.
my findings are the same 3.25 oh well more reasearch for me :lol:, I got an electric steering unit to play with now so hopefully it will have the same splines we will see:D

Also if anyone needs a 3rd gen manual rack... [just wanting to share some of the goodies with members]I happen to have seen 1 extra one at the yard last time I was out there, I pulled 2 of em one for me and another for a member on here, the third is available for anyone else thats close by... or maybe shipping might be an option not sure just pm me if you seriously want one...