4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:13 pm 

Hey there all. I've got an issue I was hoping SOMEONE on here could help me figure out.

What kind of upper transmission mounting are you guys using in your 4gs? I've got a '94 Colt Base with a 7 bolt sitting in it (for mock up), with an F4A33 trans. bolted to it (FWD automatic out of a 2g DSM). I originally thought a 1g DSM auto. upper mount bracket would be the ticket but it required modification to fit and set the whole setup way too far to the driver's side. So much so I have removed paint from the driver's side frame rail because the alternator pulley has been rubbing on it.

I've been told to use the factory 1.5L frame rail mount flipped 180 degrees with two of the frame rail bolt holes wallowed out but that hasn't netted me any better of turnout.

Anything helps guys, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:58 pm 

TTT. I know the answer is out there yet!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:53 am 
CSM Junkie

Do they use a 2g style transmission where the mounts are on the support member?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:17 am 

Can you take pics of what you're working with? I'd say just chop up any 4g frame rail mount and get the engine where you want it and weld the mount up. Then worry about the front and rear roll stops.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:51 am 
CSM Junkie

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=75

On the 4g cars isnt it the "3g colt/mirage turbo" timing side mount, the golden ticket?
for the other side frame rail, dont 1g and 2g trans have the bolt holes on the top of the trans for a frame rail mount?
On a 4g car is the front roll stop supposed to bolt to the block (1g style) or to the lower front of trans (2g style).

In the link above 89mirageman shows how to change the front roll stop to go from 1g style block mount to a 2g style trans mount on a 3g car, by simply using a plate to extend the roll stop over. Im sure that idea can be used in a 4g car if needed

Keane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:19 pm 
Some call me a god

You will have to cut and weld the frame rail mount like 89mirageman said. There is no bolt in mount. I ended up moving the mount and drilling a new hole in the transmission side of the mount. This is on a 3g mirage with 1g Awd auto trans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:40 pm 

Quote:
Do they use a 2g style transmission where the mounts are on the support member?
The 4g uses a 1g DSM style bracket on the transmission and the mount bolted to the frame rail from the passenger wheel well.

Quote:
Can you take pics of what you're working with? I'd say just chop up any 4g frame rail mount and get the engine where you want it and weld the mount up. Then worry about the front and rear roll stops.
I'll have to push the car into the shop this weekend if I can muster up the willingness. Somehow being a DSM/Mitsu. guy you acquire "friends" that LOVE having you work on their car whenever you're not working. As your own 6 cars sit disassembled. For no pay mind you! Hahaha Been knocking my willingness to work on my own stuff down quite a bit. I'll see what I can do and report back.

Quote:
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=75

On the 4g cars isnt it the "3g colt/mirage turbo" timing side mount, the golden ticket?
for the other side frame rail, dont 1g and 2g trans have the bolt holes on the top of the trans for a frame rail mount?
On a 4g car is the front roll stop supposed to bolt to the block (1g style) or to the lower front of trans (2g style).

In the link above 89mirageman shows how to change the front roll stop to go from 1g style block mount to a 2g style trans mount on a 3g car, by simply using a plate to extend the roll stop over. Im sure that idea can be used in a 4g car if needed
I think the turbo mount deal is with a 6 bolt engine but I'm not sure. I do know the easiest, cheapest and quickest way is with a 2g DSM setup. I believe it only requires removing about 3/4" of cast iron from the mount to fit the block. Then you essentially have to remove the metal sleeve from the mount, drill a new hole so far over in the mount and 3M Window Weld it in.

I haven't sourced a 6 bolt longblock that is usable yet. Can't afford it when I know I can build any of the multiple blocks I have for a few hundred more and know it is good to go. That and I am an engine machinist...but am not working at a shop at the moment. Still looking for the right one or planning to settle for the time being.

As I said above a 1g DSM uses a transmission bracket with the mount on the frame rail (as a 4g CSM does), whereas the 2g DSM has a welded bracket on the frame rail with a mount that bolts to the transmission. What I've done so far is source a 1g DSM automatic bracket and modified it to fit the 2g transmission. The issue I have is it set the engine too far over. I guess a drill press or mill (for making new holes), is still the best bet.

Roll stops won't matter yet. They will be attached to the cross member. I want to run a 6 bolt 4g63 so I will have the option to do three trans. mount and one engine or two trans. mounts (top & rear roll stop), and two engine (timing & front roll stop).

Quote:
You will have to cut and weld the frame rail mount like 89mirageman said. There is no bolt in mount. I ended up moving the mount and drilling a new hole in the transmission side of the mount. This is on a 3g mirage with 1g Awd auto trans
This is what I thought might be best however..I'm unsure how far over to move it. Then drilling it straight. Also the height is an issue.. You don't want a trans. higher than it should be leaving the engine at a "down" angle..or vise versa.

Thanks for the replies guys! Might have to get some ambition going and tackle this thing!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:12 pm 

Here are some pictures I took this past Sunday. Gives you a look at all the issues I am having.

Yeah..its touching. lol

The trans. All looks well despite the other side. lol

http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/rr38 ... zfifej.jpg

I'm not sure how I'll overcome this one. More than likely just cut the sub frame to how its contoured to the transmission..? Seems a little iffy personally.

Thanks for looking!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:13 am 
Restricted Newbie

I have 7bolt 4G63t in my car, and everything fits well.
Ok, Iam using an F5M31 manual tranny, but there was nothing problem with the mounts, simply bolt on. The driveshafts fits well too.
You have to use a tranny from a 92-96 car (which have the mounts in the transmission, not in the engine), use the car's crossmember. The tranny side mount sholud be the original too, only the timing side mount can be different. I only found differences in the height. For example with ehe EVO3 mount, you cant close the hood, because it will hit the timing cover. I found RVR mount perfect for the Colt, you only need to cut one bar from the bottom of the hood.

(Originally it was a 4G13 with F5M21)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:31 am 
CSM Junkie

not sure if helpful but the expo motor mount would move engine forward about 3/4-1 in.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 pm 

Forward as in towards the front of the car (radiator support)? Its hard for me to tell in the pictures.

If I was rolling in the money I'd get an AWD 5-speed and go to town but I like my free FWD auto. Autos are larger so it explains why the manual fits easier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:51 pm 
CSM Junkie

yes forward toward radiator. 2g mount is off set more toward firewall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:58 pm 

I'm looking to run a HX35 so I'm thinking I'll have to stick to the 2g one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:13 pm 

Hmm..