4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:08 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Okay I don't normally post up questions like this on here, but here goes, I just recently bought a 1992 Mitsubishi mirage hatchback SE, with the 12 valve 4G15 1.5 5 speed hydraulic clutch, now the car has no tachometer and I'm trying to locate the under hood test connector for inspecting the r.p.m with an analog or digital gauge, so I can make sure that my idle speed is correct, if anyone knows where the wire connector is located please let me know, thanks in advance I appreciate any help thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:03 pm 
The Silent Administrator

When these cars were produced they really only had strobe light RPM tach setups, hand held. They wrap a probe around a spark plug wire (#1 plug wire!) and it fires the strobe.
Basic models have it set to fire instantly, but higher end models can off set the degrees to make it look like -10 is actually 0 TDC, but forget this is you have a standard model with no dial.
Would have to see a link to your other models to know what you are attempting to use on hand.

I just picked up a car with no tach (92 base model), and it is missing the little capacitor device at the top corner of the intake manifold. It could have been integrated into a spot near the ignition coil and likely is there, but I am going by memory and have not owned a 4g15 powered model since the 20 aughts.

Manuals are located here for quick reference: www.lilevo.com/Mirage/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:53 pm 

your advice helped a lot, thank you flying eagle, I have a two wire capacitor on my intake [image below circled in red Image
I hooked my dwell/rpm gauge up and it worked, but I had to add two pins into the back of the wire for some reason it won't display right unless the capacitor is left connected or at least thats what the case was with my analog/dwell tach meter.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:58 pm 
The happy administrator

If you want a tach, it's s simple as picking up a tach'd cluster from any CSM. A quick swap and you have a factory tach.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:15 pm 

Quote:
If you want a tach, it's s simple as picking up a tach'd cluster from any CSM. A quick swap and you have a factory tach.
Yeah believe me I've been looking for one man, where do you guys get em from? I've looked in all the csms at my local and near wrecking yards around me, one yard local to me had 2 1988-1990 style mirage sedans [looked like lilevos body style] and a handful of 89-92 hatchbacks none had the tach, I did however luck out and I found a 1993 elantra so I pulled the sway bar, I was going to pull the lca's from it as well, but decided to pull expo knuckles that happened to be there they had 2 expos so if anyone needs expo knuckles let me know I saw another one out there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:28 pm 
The happy administrator

Post up a WTB in the classifieds section here, 89Mirageman might be able to help you out as well.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:56 pm 

Warning do not get the white face clusters as they are different from the normal black ones dont ask how or why they electronically the same but do not work. I have 2 clusters and they do not work like the regular black backed clusters

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:17 pm 

Quote:
Warning do not get the white face clusters as they are different from the normal black ones dont ask how or why they electronically the same but do not work. I have 2 clusters and they do not work like the regular black backed clusters
I know this is an old post but figured i would add to the discussion 6 years later lol:
Not sure which white face cluster you used, but i recently installed a white gauge cluster that i got from a 91 eagle summit, built at the dsm plant, and you might be on to something, i installed it and it did not work at first i checked the dash tach signal on the car i got the cluster from, and the wiring is 100% the same as a base or c53a gt colt, so i took the cluster out and noticed the screws on the back were a smidge loose, i tightened them snug and it sort of worked then went out...i lightly shifted the cluster not tap, lightly left and right then it worked i think there must be something wrong in the contacts on the back of the cluster, or the dash wire connector on the back of the cluster, so this should be inspected before claiming they don't work 100%.

i am still working with it so will update if i find out what is causing it...Update: after some time working on it i found out that the tachometer can be taken out of the cluster and separated from its own circuit board via the 12 nuts on the back of it, so i removed mine and replaced the 2 capacitors on the circuit board and the tach now works 100% in my car.