4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:28 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I have a 91 eagle summit hatch 4 speed.

Donar car: 95 mirage coupe 4g93 5 speed

Looking to do the 4g mirage spindle swap and im wondering about other part compatability. I went to the junk yard today to pull the parts since i had no good way to separate the ball joints i just took the front suspension, cv axles with lower control arm and will separate later because i couldn't there..

The lower control arm looks like it will fit only problem i can see IF IT DOES FIT is the stabilizer bar is a bit different mounting. I could just put it in the hole and tighten but im not sure what havoc that may cause bc its about an inch too far forward. Would the 4g mirage stabilizer bar fit and should i take its inner stabilizer bar mounts/bushings for proper fitment?

I also grabbed the front suspension which looked great (kyb gr2 w/ stock springs) until i tried to put it in and noticed brake lines were ran weird on my car and the top 2 bolts were off by like 1/4 of an inch or so. Can I swap the top hat/plate? On my old shock the top is already separated (rotted) but i cant get it off the top of the 4g shock..

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:41 pm 

the 91 is a 3g..the 95 is a 4g..(as u already know)......... I know alot of 4g and 5g parts interchange with each other... but I dont think anything from them will work on a 3g car.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:21 pm 

Quote:
the 91 is a 3g..the 95 is a 4g..(as u already know)......... I know alot of 4g and 5g parts interchange with each other... but I dont think anything from them will work on a 3g car.

Steve
spindles, rear brakes and hubs in their entirety, front suspension if you swap the top hats(brake lines mount differently), rear suspension will bolt in on top but the shocks might be too short(never had a chance to check), front sway bar/stabilizer bar won't fit, front control arms might fit but the sway bar end links are in different positions.

just to emphasize, the suspension will FIT, but it could be another case of AWD DSM suspension, wherein the spring mounts are different and the car won't be at the proper height. i'm not sure, since the last time i had the suspension off a 4G car, it was going to scrap and i didn't take the time to measure things.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

Shifter is a direct swap too, and highly recommended.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:33 pm 

I will return the lower control arm, shocks and cv axles when I go to get another pass side caliper and rear brake stuff . Why should I get the shifter ass? Lighter, spare, quality?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:41 pm 

Quote:
I will return the lower control arm, shocks and cv axles when I go to get another pass side caliper and rear brake stuff . Why should I get the shifter ass? Lighter, spare, quality?
it's like a poor man's short throw shifter. works great though.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:25 am 
The happy administrator

Quote:
just to emphasize, the suspension will FIT, but it could be another case of AWD DSM suspension, wherein the spring mounts are different and the car won't be at the proper height.

Nothing wrong with the awd dsm suspension. I ran 1g awd dsm agx's with lowering springs on them with no issues for years.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:52 am 

Im not familiar with the 1g awd dsm suspension swap stuff. Are you saying the 89-91.5 T/E/L suspension will bolt up to my 91 eagle summit hatch? No top hat swap or anything?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:57 am 

Quote:
Quote:
it's like a poor man's short throw shifter. works great though.
I was looking into Rpw's rally spec short shifter as an upgrade one day has anyone bought one?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:05 pm 
The happy administrator

Quote:
Im not familiar with the 1g awd dsm suspension swap stuff. Are you saying the 89-91.5 T/E/L suspension will bolt up to my 91 eagle summit hatch? No top hat swap or anything?
You can use 1g awd dsm front struts, stock springs (will sit too high) or lowering springs (sits just right) but you will need to swap the upper mount from the 3 stud dsm one to the two stud csm one.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26736

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:23 pm 

I did the spindles this weekend and everything went well. Only problems i had was with my old rusty brake lines and i had no line wrenches... One side was ok but the other side i had to spin the spindle to unscrew the brake line to caliper. Didnt think of removing the caliper and doing the same till after...

I NEED TO KNOW HOW TO REMOVE THESE ROTORS. Thats why I did this spindle swap. I found that the caliper and rotor is garbage so im going to try to pull another from the junkyard but cant figure out how to remove the damn rotor.
Also how to release drums on 4g mirage.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:59 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Two types of drums. Integrated bearing type and slip on drums ( no bearing race integrated ).

Slip on drums can be stuck if there is a wear and / or rust ridge.
Shoes can be adjusted looser through a rubber plug at the backing plate, and slack off the adjuster.

Integrated bearing style drums require removal of the dust cap and then removal of the cotter pin, bearing and the drum. Bearings should be cleaned with varsol, hot water rinsed, air dried, then repacked.

I'm wondering if the front steering racks are an upgrade with matching lock to lock ratios of the '89 turbo models. rallysjd tuned me in to this.

Front rotors are captive.
Slide hammer the front outer hub and related bearing race, out.
Unbolt rotor from hub.
If reinstalling, you wil need new bearings and races, and have to remove the old bearings races.
Good time for new seals to keep the bearing grease from flying out past the outer axle cup sealing surface.

I'm not sure if the geometry is different on the 4G front spindles or not, but if it was useable, it would make an easy swap for installing a non captive rotor setup. Only problem being that you move to a 4x100 bolt pattern.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:39 pm 

I have completed the swap.. My 3G has 4g spindles Im guessing my rotors are rusted to the 4g hubs i was tapping it with a 4lb deadblow and did nothing

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:07 pm 

i usually just hit them with a nice big hammer(2.5lb small sledgehammer is my favourite) between the studs till the rust gives way. don't hit in the same place over and over though, hit once or twice hard, turn rotor, hit again in the new spot, so on and so forth, and they'll come off.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:31 pm 

Ok thanks, ill give that a try tomorrow morning. Anyone know a good way to remove wheel locks without key? They are mcgard wheel locks i think (junkyard 95 mirage auto)
i want its rims/tires rear drums if they are the correct type, possibly both calipers and rotors. Only need passenger side tho. Maybe the brake lines too