4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:32 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Ok I noticed there was a plastic ring and thought nothing of it at first but upon further inspection i saw it said "gorilla" on it. I broke it and slightly tapped the rotor and it basically fell right off.

In all the pics i have seen i never saw those plastic ring. I thought it was a hub ring thing for rims. It had a STRONG hold on that damn rotor

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:34 pm 

My next order of business other than rear brakes and stuff is lower ball joint or elantra control arms. I have read the 3g ball joints are a nightmare so i was considering buying some elantra lcas but have learned of some issues that it causes..

1 camber issue which can be solved with Yosi fab top plates, camber bolts?, or ksport coilovers.

2 elantra Lca is about 3/8 longer my concern is if i have my car at stock height can i get away with my stock driver side axle or do i need a dsm awd axle. Dsm awd axle = T/E/L 89-91.5?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:28 pm 
The happy administrator

Using the elantra control arms is one "trick" to use stock un-equal length axles with the 63t swap. Depending on the personal opinion of various members, there are a few "better" ways to go about it.

Up front I went with 1g awd Dsm struts, eibach sportline lowering springs (for 1g awd), Galant VR4 front knuckles, drilled out the tie rod ends for proper installation, used Yoshifab's camber plates to align it all, and used the Turbo Mirage equal length axle setup (an awd dsm intermediate shaft will work with the axles).

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:45 pm 

Quote:
Using the elantra control arms is one "trick" to use stock un-equal length axles with the 63t swap. Depending on the personal opinion of various members, there are a few "better" ways to go about it.

Up front I went with 1g awd Dsm struts, eibach sportline lowering springs (for 1g awd), Galant VR4 front knuckles, drilled out the tie rod ends for proper installation, used Yoshifab's camber plates to align it all, and used the Turbo Mirage equal length axle setup (an awd dsm intermediate shaft will work with the axles).

I have a 91 eagle summit hatch

What is an awd intermediate shaft? What cv axles would i use on my 4g15/f4m21 or f5m21 which I may put a 4g63/f5m21 in the future what will I need to do axle wise if i change my lower control arms

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:25 pm 
The happy administrator

When using the 4g15, you'll be best off just using stock parts and not changing anything. Once you go to a 4g63t, that's when you'll be better off swapping parts and switching to the equal length axles and upgrading the brakes.

To do the equal length axles, you need the driver and passenger side axle of a '89 Turbo Mirage (listed usually as a '88 turbo mirage), there are threads with the part numbers here on the forum. You will also need the intermediate axle, this one goes into the transmission and bolts to the back of the block, "extending" the axle drive point. Then the drivers cv shaft (axle) mounts to that on the drivers side, giving equal length axles to combat torque steer.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:06 am 

Ok I gotcha ill keep my stock axle set up and lca. I have a question about my hub/spindles though please help.

I just did the 4g spindle swap and one of the rotors and calipers is trash and im at 4x100 in the front. I am aware the expo front hubs can be pressed in but then I think I may have another set of problems.

1. What year mitsu expo/Dodge Colt Vista etc.. Also will the bearings/seals (may replace) in the 4g spindle with the expo hub. I found on partsgeek for a 93 DCV for $51ea w/o bearing.

2. What are my brake options? I can put a dsm/expo caliper on my 4g spindle with an expo rotor with no mod right?

3. Will I be able to bolt me ole 13 steelies back up with expo hub/rotor and caliper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:02 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Ok I gotcha ill keep my stock axle set up and lca. I have a question about my hub/spindles though please help.

I just did the 4g spindle swap and one of the rotors and calipers is trash and im at 4x100 in the front. I am aware the expo front hubs can be pressed in but then I think I may have another set of problems.

1. What year mitsu expo/Dodge Colt Vista etc.. Also will the bearings/seals (may replace) in the 4g spindle with the expo hub. I found on partsgeek for a 93 DCV for $51ea w/o bearing.

2. What are my brake options? I can put a dsm/expo caliper on my 4g spindle with an expo rotor with no mod right?

3. Will I be able to bolt me ole 13 steelies back up with expo hub/rotor and caliper
1. 92-96 Expo/Summit/Vista
2. Unsure if just doing the hubs
3. You will need 14" to clear Expo/DSM brakes (single piston) and 15: to clear GVR4/DSM Big Brake option.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:16 pm 

Well i pulled the trigger and ordered all the bushings for the shifter from a mitsubishi dealer and the shift collar too from find it parts. Mitsubishi dealer was $67 and FIP was like $14 more than i wanted to spend but it will be good for a while. A diagram of the shifter and part #s is here. http://www.neoriginal.ru/cat/chrysler/p ... 50#ddtr_31

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:22 pm 

Also bought reman 4g caliper from advance and rotors are only $20ea so i will get those sometime. And bought some 15in steelies! They were from a chevy cobalt and they are a perfect fit. Just in case i want to do the twin piston in the front sometime down the road. Still need to swap rear to 4x100. I will try to take a few pics it looks kinda funny but i may drive it like this for a bit lol

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/Mitch ... z/library/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:02 pm 

Well I rebuilt the shifter and went to put it in and ran into a few xissues still waiting to be resolveed.

2nd gear rubs so I need to cut the base plate

shift cable cotter pin wont go in bc the shift cable connecting to lever seems to be shorter and the plastic ball thing in the shifter cable I will probably just notch it with the dremel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:00 am 

I'm guessing you put a dsm shift lever on? I noticed the pin on the bottom was too short too. I ground the weld off the original and the longer pin fell out. I then did the same thing on the dsm lever, swapped them and welded it back on putting the longer pin on the dsm shift lever.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:25 pm 

I just dremeled the plastic thing in the shift cable and I got the cotter pin in its sll good now and got both strut mounts installed. Also scrubbed on the tranny for an hour orr so