4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:08 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hi All, I'm new and just starting to learn this stuff. I'm hoping someone here can direct me. I have an 89' Colt Vista wagon, with a 4g15 in it. It is the 3 speed auto. The engine is dead. I was wondering, is there and engine and trans swap I could do all at once - and get a 4 speed auto (some kind of overdrive).

The 4g63 sounds like a good engine. But was there one out there that was mated to a 4 speed auto? What kind of donor car should I look for? Something that can bolt right in, if possible. The simpler the better. Thanks for any info.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:30 pm 
2nd Banana

Moved to newbie tech. Welcome to the forum. Please put a location in your profile (I'm guessing it's Detroit.) Yes, the 4G63 was available with a 4spd. auto. You can do any kind of swap your mind can imagine (within reason), just depends on how much money you have to spend, and what kind of skills you have when it comes to wrenching and stuff. If you don't possess those skills, then it will just cost more. Not many people have done swaps on the '89 "C10" minivans, but it is doable for sure. The 92-95 minivans are much more popular, and there is a lot more documentation on it.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:52 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

does your car look like this

or this

because if it's the second one, and you're in North America, that car never came with the 4G15 here. it only came with a SOHC 4G63, so if you know 100% that you have a 1.5L in it, it's already been swapped. once we know where you're from, we'll be able to help more.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:00 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Sorry, I'm in Michigan. It is the 2nd one. FWD. So I guess then it is the 4g63. So does a 4 speed auto trans out of something else bolt right into the 3 speed space? I've done a few engine/trans swaps, but that's was old VW's. The Mitsu is new to me. I'm wondering the easiest cheapest way to get this back on the road, with a 4 speed auto if possible.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 pm 

they came with the F3A22 transmission, so if you want a 4 speed, your best bet is to hunt down something that has an F4A22 in it, so non-turbo 2L or 1.8L 90-94 Talon/Eclipse/Lasers, 90-93 non-turbo DOHC or SOHC 90-93 Galants, and 1.8L 93-96 CSMs. there's a few others to pull from, but those would be the most common. you'll also need the TCU from the donor car, though i'm not 100% sure that'll plug right in, lemme dig through my service manuals and i'll get back to you.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:23 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Wow. Thanks so much! That gives me something to start Craigslist'ing for. Yeah, any more info is much appreciated! :hail:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 3:01 pm 

the TCU is gonna be the mystery here, because from what i'm reading(and i'm super bad with wiring diagrams), is that your car has a 13pin plug for the TCU, and the 4speed has a lot more pins, anywhere from 33 up to 42. and i could also be completely wrong, because i don't work with that automatic witchcraft, i stick with manual transmissions. in my honest opinion your best bet would be to just find a 5speed transmission from a non-turbo galant/DSM and swap that instead, your stock axles will even work with it. should be able to use the clutch/brake assembly from a 3G CSM, or if you're lucky enough to find a 5-speed Colt Vista/Vista in the scrap yard, just steal all the bits and do that.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:23 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hi Devolution, You're right with TCM. I'm sure it will be different. Probably something I couldn't sort myself. Which makes me think, forget it and just stick with the 3 speed. I do like the idea of doing a 5 speed swap. But probably more work than I want to put into the car. If I do figure out a 4 speed swap (and attempt it), I'll be sure to post such an undertaking. Thanks again for the help.