4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:45 pm 

First off, is there a diffence between a 92 colt and 92 mirage? Im looking for parts and rockauto lists some for the colt but twice as many for the mirage. Also is there a way to tell the difference between the 1.8 ecu and the 1.5 ecu? 3 came with the car when i bought it and i was told 1 was for the 1.8 upgrade. Finally i removed a tach that previous owner installed only to be very disappointed and disgusted.

1994 Isuzu Pickup 3.2 V6 swapped 5spd

1988 Isuzu Pickup LS 2.6 5spd. Frame rot, hacked to pieces and scrapped

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:57 pm 
The happy administrator

The only difference between CSM's was trim level and what engine they had, the 61t's got some better parts in the suspension as well as the engine/trans, and the 145/9k cluster. All the 1.5L stuff should interchange. Do the ecu's have part numbers on them? That would be the easiest way to tell them apart. You can use vinyl+leather repair to fill those holes and then get a tach'd cluster to replace you speed/fuel/water cluster. it's a direct replacement and it'll work without having to do anything else, all the factory wiring for the tach to work is already in place. It looks like your gauge surround is busted, that's pretty common. There are some still new from the dealer but are expensive. If you find one that's not busted (they become very brittle with age), be sure to either glue supports inside or use expanding foam to strengthen it.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm 
CSM Junkie

Google the part numbers of the ECU?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:18 pm 

Havent googled the numbers yet, was just wondering if there was a visual way to tell. The car also came with what the guy said was a GT sway bar. I dont have a caliber to measure but is it bigger and better then base model sway bar? Id imagine it is but, I would just like to be 100% sure before i put it in for no reason. Finally where the hell is the CEL located on the no tach dash? When i turn key on i see battery light, oil light but nothin else. thanks for all the help, just trying to work all the bugs out of this car and now i have to diagnose my 410 HC ppm at idle that i failed inspection for :x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm 
CSM Junkie

The colt and mirage in 92 (for the US) should be the same. Everywhere else in the world they got what we call the 4g as a 92. The CEL should be on the left side of the cluster. Can't be sure which light it is. You should be able to remove the cluster and hit the back with a flashlight to see all of them illuminate ad locate it. Bulb is probably burnt out or covered up

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:09 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Havent googled the numbers yet, was just wondering if there was a visual way to tell. The car also came with what the guy said was a GT sway bar. I dont have a caliber to measure but is it bigger and better then base model sway bar? Id imagine it is but, I would just like to be 100% sure before i put it in for no reason. Finally where the hell is the CEL located on the no tach dash? When i turn key on i see battery light, oil light but nothin else. thanks for all the help, just trying to work all the bugs out of this car and now i have to diagnose my 410 HC ppm at idle that i failed inspection for :x
If you have a double jointed stabilizer link set, meaning each link has two ball and socket joints, then you have an Elantra/Turbo Colt-Mirage sway bar.
If you have the single jointed and sandwich bushing style, you have the base bar.
If you have no bar, then you have a wallowing pig of a ride through the twisties.

410 HC, assuming timing is correct and no misfiring in your ignition/distributor cap/rotor/wires/plugs , then you have a burnt catalytic converter. Unless you smoke a serious blue shade out the back, check all basic tune-up stuff then move forward.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 pm 

The sway bar in the car now has the sandwich style links, the one in my garage (GT bar) has no links at all. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and distributor all have less then 300 miles on them. No smoke at all from tail pipe and i believe cat is bad since its ringing like a dinner bell. Any chance o2 sensor may have something to do with it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:57 am 
The Silent Administrator

There could be a nut or something loose in front of the monolith inside the catalytic body.

If everything else is physically in time (checked with a timing light, etc) and all new parts are good, and no air leaks on the intake side(!), then your catalytic may have seen it's time, yes.

If it is aftermarket and was abused for any length of time, that would shorten it's expected life of 2-5 years, to something less than that.

An 02 that is getting very lazy could cause that yes. If the 02 is very old, change it as a matter of course and knowing that it should be good from this moment forward with regards to your build.
If the build goes well and you don't have any issues with boost leaks/vacuum leaks, oil useage etc, then the 02 should live a longer life.