4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: brake questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:42 pm 
administrator

My car has been leaking brake fluid from the proportioning valve and now both the valve and brake booster are badly rusted.

I went to the junkyard and got a 3g csm proportioning valve from a base model and wanted to make sure they were the same as the turbo model and would work. Will the Elantra, DSM, 3000gt valve also work?

I'm planning to upgrade my front brakes to twin piston and I'm thinking I should upgrade the master cylinder to the 1inch 3000gt one while I have everything apart. I'm wondering what type of effect this will have on the braking.

Another thing I'm curious about is if the 4g csm brake booster is a good upgrade or if people only install it because it is so much smaller than the Elantra one? I read the turbo mirage/colt booster has a ratio of 4:1 and the 4g csm is 4.5:1.

Post subject: Re: brake questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:30 pm 

main question is.. do you have drums or disc brakes in the rear?.. you need a prop valve with the same setup as yours..

I dont think the dsm ones work..but I could be wrong.. but I havent seen any posts about it in the 5 years ive been into csm's.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:48 pm 

Back when I swapped over to rear discs on my 3g colt I used the stock prop valve. I have plenty of the 1-1/16" 3g eclipse MC's and a few 4g csm boosters in very good shape if you need them. There shouldn't be any change in the pedal if you upgrade the larger calipers and MC at the same time. Just better braking.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:52 pm 
The Silent Administrator

If the parts are physically the same shape internally, and there are springs inside the mechanism, just swap over the internals, minus the leaky bits. Put in the matching o-rings in other words, from the prop valve you are using, onto the turbo bits that are now being swapped in. Drum brake cars likely have different characteristics for rear engagement/disengagement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:56 pm 
administrator

Thanks guys, I have a factory turbo mirage with the disc brakes in the rear and the correct proportioning valve. The new valve I got at the junkyard is from a base model with drum brakes. I just checked caps and it looks like both models use part MB316180.

I didn't realize the valve could be disassembled and rebuilt, it looks like there are some snap rings on the bottom holding it together. I will try to take the valves apart to compare them and then swap the parts over if they are different.

I think i will just replace the proportioning valve for now and wait until I am ready to install the twin piston calipers to do the booster and mastercylinder. There are tons of great brake threads on here, I am still researching and deciding if i want to go with expo knuckles and camber kits or grind down the turbo mirage hubs.

89Mirageman I will definitely hit you up first if I need some parts. I hope you are still making the 4g rear disc brake conversion kits, I have been putting off the rear brakes on my poor neglected 4g for far too long. I just realized I will have to figure out which valve I am going to use for that car too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:31 am 
Some call me a god

I vote grind down hubs.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yeah, easy enough to remove the knuckles and press out the hubs. Or even buy some new hubs and have them cut down, new bearings, seals and get it all assembled at the same place. Then you can slap on some GVR4 brake rotors. Gotta check out the GVR4 brake thread in the archives. Our AUSsie buddy pulled it off pretty well.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... lit=rotors