4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 91 csm
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:52 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys my name is danny im new to this site i just picked up a 91 eagle summit 4g63 awd swapped. Ill be running a dbb t67 turbo full supporting mods. Just had a few questions on the car im going to need to upgrade the suspension the previous owner put in 1g awd rear struts and stock front suspension. was just curious where i could get some front suspension components looking for some lowering springs or a good set of a coilovers im new to these cars so im not sure where to buy parts. Ive owned a few dsms in my past and im not a total newb to them. any help would be great thanks

Post subject: Re: 91 csm
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:02 am 
CSM Junkie

Some options are for budget you can get KYB GR2's, these are basically just a replacement, the KYB AGX's are an upgrade and are adjustable and more expensive, another option but more money again are the Koni Yellow's which are great and fully adjustable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:24 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Some options are for budget you can get KYB GR2's, these are basically just a replacement, the KYB AGX's are an upgrade and are adjustable and more expensive, another option but more money again are the Koni Yellow's which are great and fully adjustable.
I should add that they don't make the KYB AGX's or Koni Yellows in a CSM-specific design anymore, you will have to use 1g DSM stuff. This poses issues, because the DSM suspension is longer, therefore you get less suspension travel. Once you factor in lowering the car, your ride quality and handling will go to complete shit. With that said, I used 1g DSM KYB GR2's with stock 1g AWD springs up front on my car, and I cut off one coil...the car actually rode and handled awesome, but the ride height was basically stock. I cut one more coil because I wanted it lower, and it completely ruined everything.

K-Sport makes CSM-specific coilovers, and it's pretty much one of the only options available if you really want to do it right. I never had success trying to use DSM suspension parts on my CSM. It will work, and you will get the look you want out of the car, but you will sacrifice handling and ride quality big time.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:51 pm 
The Silent Administrator

GR2's have also been renamed to Excel G's. Re-badge, same parts.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:01 pm 
Restricted Newbie

will the awd stock springs and struts just bolt right in? or should i just get the summit gr2 struts and 1g awd springs? i just want the car to atleast to sit level right now the car sits ass down front up

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:20 pm 
Some call me a god

That ass-down look is likely from the AWD swap being done on the quick-and-easy. The rear DSM struts have to be elongated or the strut hat mounting surface on the chassis of the car has to be lowered. If neither has been done then the back end will sit very low.

The AWD springs and struts will bolt right in but would give you exactly what you currently have now, ass-down front-up unless modifications are made.

Something that I have never seen attempted on these cars is elongated strut hats to move the strut mounting point up above the strut hat. I have seen them on plenty of other cars, but never a CSM. Might be something worth trying if you are wanting to go low with the car and have good ride quality.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Something that I have never seen attempted on these cars is elongated strut hats to move the strut mounting point up above the strut hat. I have seen them on plenty of other cars, but never a CSM. Might be something worth trying if you are wanting to go low with the car and have good ride quality.
Do you think this could work on the front struts so that we could get "More Suspension Travel", when using DSM Struts or with the OEM GR2's and DSM springs? I've googled extended top hats and it seems like a common procedure on hondus.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:06 pm 
Some call me a god

I honestly do. You will have to fabricate your own, but it will move the "bottom out point" of the strut up allowing for more travel.