4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:05 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Alright so I have a 1987 colt premier 4g32t 1.6l or I guess its also called a 4g61t but this is what's goin on. It ran pretty good when I got it but it had some pretty bad coolant leaks out of the head so I figured replace it. So I did the head gasket and while I was at it I did the intake and exhaust manifold gaskets the throttle body and valve cover. I replaced the plug wires and plugs (Bosch wires and NGK iridium plugs) they were gapped to spec. I got it all back together and had the timing 180 out. so I reversed it at the required 10 deg. Btdc and it started idled for a but but still sounded rough and then died. I've checked the plug order over and over and just can't figure it out. I didn't replace the dist. When I took it off but I cleaned it all out and wire brushed of the points I think they are.. haha. Anyways I'm gonna run a comp. Test today and see what it looks like. It also won't build boost anymore before it was at about 11 lbs. With cracks all over the header I welded that up and now it won't even read on the after market gauge and barely reads any on the stock guage. I've heard something about an ecm default that will cut boost but I don't know if thats on my car. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:35 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You have a G32B turbo motor IIRC, as 4g61t motors were not available stateside until 1989, or 1987 in many areas closer to AUS/NZ and Asia. So, unless you are in Asia or have an Asian pre-face lift Lancer/Colt, you have the older distributor style and non-Sirius Mitsubishi motor.

With that said, when you reset the timing, did you rotate the distributor to achieve this? Are you using a factory manual for your car, which shows setting the timing? Do you have vacuum advance (vacuum hose and diaphragm) attached to the distributor housing? This hose needs to be removed, and plugged when setting the timing, because otherwise the vacuum is going to pull timing away from the base setting that you want, ie. it will advance the timing, which in effect will have your timing retarded, I believe, but no way of knowing how much. Likely 5 degrees or so. Recheck, and compression check which never hurts after changing the head gasket. Also was the distributor cap and rotor cleaned or replaced?

Did you have the cylinder head checked for flatness with a proper bar and feeler gauges? Machine shop?

Please put your location in your profile, as this is one of the key rules here. 8)