4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Ignition control module
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:00 am 

Hey all does anyone know what other cars I can look for in the junk yard for a ignition control module that will fit the 4g15 89 colt? I was looking at just buying one but it's $110.xx. Or does anyone have one they can just send me? Or is there a way to check them? Ohm them out or something? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:09 pm 
The Silent Administrator

The factory service manuals are located here:

www.lilevo.com/mirage/

Everything you need to check for no spark, no fuel, etc, etc, will be in the manuals. Hope that helps.
PS: If you ever forget about this thread, check the General Discussion or maybe it is board wide, but at the top of each forum section, should be the manuals/ASA thread link.

What is the issue you are having?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:38 pm 

Thanks eagle, what I've got going on here is a guy has a 89 colt for sale. It was running fine for years then just quit. It'll start and run fine for a little while then quit. I'm thinking ICM he was thinking ecu. He wants $500 for it but I might be able to get it for $300. I just don't have the money available right now. I'm trying to figure out best guess to fix it to see if I can afford it someway so I can eventually swap over to 2.0lt and awd. Don't know if it'll ever happen though. It does it when it warms up and dies so that is why I'm thinking ICM, ecu would have more problems than that right? Thanks, Keith.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:27 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Best to do, is pull the ECU and inspect it. Couple of ten millimeter bolt heads, remove ground straps and pull down on the ECU case with all you are worth. Sure fire way to inspect for leaky capacitors and then you can tell him it will cost you a couple hundred just to get it running properly. Meanwhile an ECU from here, used might not run more than $10-50 US. Whether that is it or not, you'll have to delve deeper into the mystery.