4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Have a Few questions.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:25 am 

I'm currently deployed so i don't have the time to research a lot of this stuff due to time restrictions & weather. Sorry about that normally i would look into everything

I am looking to buy a 89 Colt GT that has a awd 4/bolt swap done to it

I plan on using a 6bolt block & a 2g trans, is the process of swapping the trans similar to a 2g trans to 1g body?
The car currently has a 4g63 in it, i'm assuming that the harness is the same as a 1g?
Also as far as suspension & brakes go everything made for a 1g will fit the car correct? It already has a 5-lug swapped

Thanks in advance

Chase

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 pm 
The happy administrator

Quote:
I'm currently deployed so i don't have the time to research a lot of this stuff due to time restrictions & weather. Sorry about that normally i would look into everything

I am looking to buy a 89 Colt GT that has a awd 4/bolt swap done to it

I plan on using a 6bolt block & a 2g trans, is the process of swapping the trans similar to a 2g trans to 1g body?
The car currently has a 4g63 in it, i'm assuming that the harness is the same as a 1g?
Also as far as suspension & brakes go everything made for a 1g will fit the car correct? It already has a 5-lug swapped

Why a 2g trans? They mount differently than the 1g trans so there is more fab work unless the car is already set up for a 2g trans.

For the harness, it should be a 1g dsm engine bay harness either connected using an adapter harness or spliced directly into the stock body harness.

There are different routes for brakes and suspension, each with their own supporters and naysayers, all of it is covered in depth in the info archives.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=51

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:26 am 

Thanks for the link.

About the 2g trans i have a shep stage 4 with about 300 miles on it so i would like to keep it if at all possible. I'm aware of the process to swap it into a 1g DSM, just looking to see if its the same.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:08 pm 
2nd Banana

Good luck fitting an AWD 2g trans in a Colt engine bay. They barely fit in a 1g engine bay, and the Colts are much smaller. I don't know anyone who has successfully done it.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:02 pm 
The Silent Administrator

^^ Is it the trans case fitment to the passenger side frame rail ??

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
^^ Is it the trans case fitment to the passenger side frame rail ??
The 2g trans is physically much larger than a 1g unit. That is the major issue.

*edit* - It's possible this may only pertain to automatics. I have a 2g 5spd. in my 1g and it actually wasn't that hard to get in there. You need the 2g starter plate, otherwise you have to hack the 1g plate to hell to get the starter to fit.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:55 pm 

Well the car currently has a built trans in it, so i guess i will leave it in there & keep my new shep trans on the side...

As far as the front end goes is it the same dimensions as a 1g dsm? I am planning on buying a 1pc cross member from 99gst_racer on tuners

link to the thread http://www.dsmtuners.com/classifieds/fr ... hid=364058

the car has a 4g63 swap in it

thanks guys, slowly learning about the CSM thing

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

The colts have a front to rear crossmember, to which the front and rear engine mounts bolt to, as opposed to the left/right crossmember. If you wanted a challenge, you could fabricate a front crossmember, attaching to the towhooks, and integrate the front engine mount. This setup could give rise to the possibility of adding radius arms to the front lower control arms. This would lessen any wheelhop.

The other challenge for this would be: What to do about the rear engine mount.

food for thought.

Phil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:33 pm 

Quote:
The colts have a front to rear crossmember, to which the front and rear engine mounts bolt to, as opposed to the left/right crossmember. If you wanted a challenge, you could fabricate a front crossmember, attaching to the towhooks, and integrate the front engine mount. This setup could give rise to the possibility of adding radius arms to the front lower control arms. This would lessen any wheelhop.

The other challenge for this would be: What to do about the rear engine mount.

food for thought.

Phil

Alright thanks i appreciate the info...I basically copied & pasted this & sent it to him to see if you could possibly fabricate something that would work

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:37 pm 

that cross member setup he has for sale wont work unless you completely change the front subframe like I am doing.
If the one you are buying is awd now..he probably just has the modified/custom front to back cross-member to clear the x-fer case.

this is the work im doing now. putting a full 1g dsm subframe under the colt.

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=15

in the pics u only see about 40% of what I cut out.. hopefully in the next few weeks to months I will have time to get it done and add more pics of what I did. but its a total pain cause u need to remove all the metal where the rack bolts to cause the dsm one mounts inside the rear cross member.

and since no one addressed this part... the dsm front brake/suspension setup is not a direct bolt in...

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:44 am 

I forgot I posted this & saw it when i searched about the suspension & brakes.

Thanks, again