4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:41 pm 
Restricted Newbie

since my ex blew up the original engine in my poor 1989 dodge colt gt (?1.8? automatic fwd) has been just sitting. after seeing one modded on the tv show pinks i've been toying with the idea of doing this upgrade. though i am planning on going a little basic in comparison. im looking to switch to the non turbo 2.0 dual overhead cam with an automatic front wheel drive. now i can assume that there is alot more to it then just dropping it straight in. now as of yet i do not have my donor car. dose any one know where can i find a cheap possibly wrecked one. and what all is going to be needed to be done other than modding out the wiring harness i would love a step by step and an idea of how much time this may take to do. as i am quite tired of having a bike as my only transportation. once this project is complete i will gladly share any knowledge i come across and compile it to one place so with luck this will be one of the last time this question will be asked..
thanx much, Eyezwizeguy in tampa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Have you had a read through the archives yet?
Bottom of the main screen. Have a gander there and see what you can soak up first, then we'll chime in. The easiest thing beyond all this is to find a GS model with a DOHC 4g61 (NA) installed. Then if you want, swap in an automatic transmission/mount, Auto trans ECU (TCU), and possible axle swap. You'd be set. You however are better off starting with a Galant GSX or GGSX (forget which one is AWD non-turbo) and you get a 4g63. Go Base model Galant and you get FWD with a 1.8 or 2.0 and you might find an automatic version, probably more autos than sticks still left but you never know.

Why the fascination with a 2.0L and automatic in a C50/60 chassis? Tons of cars come with 130-40HP and require no mods and less work to maintain. Heck you can stuff in the 2.4L SOHC, but you need to fabricate a few things; once again more work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

ok so i can use a galant for a donor car aswell nice to know. what years are the easiest to put into the 1989 dodge colt since i thought it was best to find a first gen (90/94) eclipse , talon ,or laser. Now i do know how to drive stick just thought not having to switch that would be a few less steps not to mention the less attention needed while driving plus its nice to have your hands free. The reason i was planing on sticking with the fwd instead of the awd is mainly for weight and less cost as far as needing to have parts made (lower moter mount) and such basicly i am on a very tight budget trying to get this done as fast and cheap as possible but yeah i can see finding a galant without the higher sticker of the sporty eclipses also i often wondered if the front clip from a galant would fit onto a colt seems to me that the galant has just a lil bit more stream line design as far as the engine i've heard 2.0 dohc was the way to go hearing the other engine (not sure if it was the 1.8 or 2.4) wasn't really a great engine. now the reason im leaning away from the turbo is cost of maintence and not wanting to have to use the preimium gas (yes im a total cheap skate)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:40 am 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

Ingredients:
Find a running donor; cheap auto turbo/NT 2.0 1G eclipse(not hard if you wait about 3 months); you can get an AWD auto(only comes in turbo) one too and just convert it to FWD by welding the center diff, have 89mirageman make you a harness, order some colt turbo CV axles(although you have other options too if this is an issue), and get the mounts from an automatic second gen Elantra. You will have a mostly plug and play setup with that. And that is usually the least time consuming/cheapest route. There are cheaper and alternative ways to go though, if you hit any snags along the way or a certain piece of the puzzle is hard to source. Get most of those parts and then we can better help you to build a monster. Expect to pay $500-2000.
My experience has been, DOHC gallants of the generation that is swappable, are harder to source in the USA.

Tips:
Don't throw away something unless your sure you don't need it for the swap.
Get a running donor car(sux to complete the swap and have to tech the issues, that may or may not be related or to get a non rebuildable engine)
^If your a gear head and like the thrill of teching, go ahead and pick up any random 4g63
Unless the donar car hcomes with a workorder that says the timing belt/waterpump was just done, assume that you have to replace it
Make sure you have a clean gas tank and fuel filter.
You can use the DSM fuel pump, but it might be easier to just get a walbro 190 for cheap.
ECU's for these cars suck. Have spares.

PS: if you can find a running 1.8 auto 90-95 elantra(they all come in DOHC) you can snag the engine out of that, it is very similar to the 4g63t 2.0 N/A engine in the eclipse and galant. These cars are not rare at all. They also can be had for cheap. Mounts right up and you can probably get away with the existing fuel pump. Only thing to modify would be the wiring from the dash to the engine. Also the wires come in through the firewall at different sides. So with about 30 dollars in wire, this fixes that issue.

You are not at the step by step period yet until you complete most of your shopping list. Again if you cant find a component, there are usually 1 or 2 alternatives. Just ask.

Even more notes: you can use regular gas in a 4g63t, because it has a knock sensor, it can change the ignition timing on the fly.
The 1.8/2.4 DOHC(Galant/Elantra) is just as reliable as the 2.0, albiet the 2.4 dohc is super rare. I have nothing to say about the 1.8 SOHC(Galant/DSM) though.
The biggest maintenance issues on these cars is the ECU, and timing belt/water pump. NT and turbo have the same issues in these respect.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:32 am 

is this the car..or a diff one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTocrtV2pA

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:10 am 

Also your 1989 colt has a 1.5 liter if its sohc, if its DOHC its a 1.6...not 1.8. Although if its a 4 door wagon then that changes everything completely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 pm 
Restricted Newbie

mine is a hatchback much like the one at the top of the forum and yes even thought it has a GT sticker i believe it is a 1.5 sohc and no body kit other than the standard trim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:12 am 
Restricted Newbie

so i can use an engine out of an Hyundai Elantra Second generation (1996–2000) aswell? so as i understand it right now i can use one of the following for a 2.0 dohc :

1990–1994 (1G) Mitsubishi Eclipse (GS 16v), Eagle Talon (Talon or Talon ES), and Plymouth Laser (RS)

or a galant not sure what years

or possibly a Second generation (1996–2000) Hyundai Elantra (GLS)

are there any other easy swaps available

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 am 

92-95 Elantra I believe. It was made by mitsu and put in these cars. Came in 1.6 and 1.8 flavors. Later ones were made by hyundai and wont fit(without severe modifications).

Some 92 Sonata's have a 4g63 DOHC n/a in them also.

And yes the 1g eclipse, talon, and laser dohc engines work well also. I believe all 89-93 galant DOHC engines work well too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 pm 
Restricted Newbie

any ideas on where to find a cheap eclipse or other for the swap ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:17 pm 
The happy administrator

Google for a local dsm forum, keep an eye out on craigslist, put your location in your profile because there might be a member close to you that can help you out, etc.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd