4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:33 am 

Hey guys i have a 89 gt well one of them had the heater working then it died, came back for a day then died again for a week now. I need the heater cause theres frost on my windows at four am when i head to work. I checked the fuses and they were fine so i dont know what to do now. I heard there was a relay or something? is this correct? Where would that heater relay be please? And how can i test the blower motor and is it hard to change at all please? Thanks.. Charlie.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:13 am 
The Silent Administrator

You are talking about the blower motor/fan correct?

There are few small screws that hold it in place. Easiest thing to do is confirm you have a power and ground by plugging in a test light to the two terminals that connector to the fan motor (harness side and unplugged).

This is all right behind the glove box, cannot remember if you have to remove it or not, most you do not but if needed it's only like 5-10 phillips head screws.

If you remove the blower motor and plug it in with two wires to a 12V battery, then you can eliminate the motor as a last step, first try the test light at the blower motor connector for the motor, unplugged. Then you know you have a full power and ground circuit working. If you test on full high, the light should be full bright, then select each speed lower and the light should dim for each step down. DO NOT ALLOW THE test light wires to touch - short circuit, possible blown fuse if they do, wrap them in electrical tape to insulate if you have to. If the test light does not light up, then more than likely you have a blower motor resistor that is dying (big ceramic/wound wire resistor plate usually in the air stream near the blower motor.
If the fan works on and off, blower motor resistor or old fan contacts wearing out are most suspect.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:49 pm 

I am trying to pass smog still and put some z max in my tank and my engine. I took it on the freeway yesterday and dropped to 55 then up to 110 in a short period of time and did that over and over again. Car was hesitating and stumbling but within minutes i can feel it getting better and better. Boost was only at 10 and should be at 13 so i knew i had problems. Suddenly i realize my cars heater had clicked on. I left the swith at the center position just incase it came back on id know. I was so happy cause its been a little nippy around 50's here in cali and around freezing in the morning cause theres ice. Anyways z max seemed to help unclog maybe the heater core or something wierd going on i dont know. I hope my car still doesnt hesitate now too, going to go try to pass smog again, this time at the new star shop and they said they will tell me whats wrong and what to fix, hope so i need stickers bad..

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:42 am 
CSM Dik

It could be the blower motor resistor,which is located behind the glove box. Initially I thought the blower motor went bad,and after it checked out ok I tried the resistor. Pulled it out and the ceramic housing was cracked. Changed it,the motor purred like a kitten...until a few months later when it did burn up lol. Check out "Heaters and Air Conditioning" in the CSM FSM.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:45 am 
The happy administrator

Zmax is just mineral oil. You should do a good coolant flush and check on the blower resister.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:33 pm 

Hey guys a little update on my heater thingy and boost again. Its been great ever since I put the zmax mineral oil stuff,haha. I also figured out in the morning if my heater doesn't work I just take my club and smack the motor a little and on it comes,haha. Not sure how or where to replace the resister though so I will have to wait for that. Looks easy to replace a motor for these since its so close and out in the open like that but it is a Mitsubishi so im not so sure,haha.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:22 am 
The happy administrator

The blower motor? Take the glovebox out and it's right there. 20 minute job.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:40 am 

Ok thanks, but even the blower motor if I can give it a smack with my club and it works again? Does sound funky like its gotta dying sound,haha. Sucks I cant find anything even close to our cars with the motor in it.