4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 4G63T Mirage Swap
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:33 pm 
Restricted Newbie

My question is simple, i know the 6 bolts will drop right in, but how about a 7bolt motor 1995 4g63t and FWD tranny?

Is it also a direct drop in?

Post subject: Re: 4G63T Mirage Swap
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

7 bolt motors use the front/rear mount on the transmission, so it does not "drop in". Needs modification.
Then you have the transmission from a newer era and axles do not match up - spline count issues.
6 bolt or no go, unless someone can tell me of a 7 bolt crank in a 6 bolt block that works or something I haven't known about the DSM's (which is quite a bit actually!).
Then you have to wire up a harness for a 7 bolt to work in a Colt/Mirage. Big headache unless the car is gutted and getting electronics from the same type of car the motor/trans was taken from.

There are members here doing this now, with EVO motors but it is few and far between. I believe there are some 4g92 turbo motors that are setup very similar to what you are proposing and they were bolt in for our chassis's, but I have only spotted them overseas - France/Germany/Europe, and maybe NZ and AUS.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:55 pm 
Some call me a god

The engine will work, but the transmission won't. It's more of a hassle to run the seven bolt than it's worth. A 1g fwd trans will bolt right up. All the fwd turbo clutches are the same with 1g's and 2g's, same goes for the awd clutches. You will need to find a 1g turbo harness or csm turbo harness to run the engine. You will also have to find a 1g throttle body, crank angle sensor, knock sensor, ecu just to name a few. Axles are can be tricky to find for some people, also depending what year trans you have that this could confuse things even more.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:21 am 

Actually the block will have the mounting points for the rear mount but not the front. You can get creative and fabricate a mount like I did for my wagon. Uweenukr on here also dropped in a 7 bolt 4G64 in his car. You can get it to work but unless I got the parts for free I would stick with the 1g 6 bolt stuff.