4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Trans Swap
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:49 pm 

Hello there I am a very very noobie so my question may be silly but, I own a 1989 csm with a 4g61 n/a with a automatic trans. Im thinking to swap a manual trans (fsm33) from an eclipse... Can someone give me tips/ stuff that i need for the swap??? :D

Post subject: Re: Trans Swap
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am 

The F5M33 is from a turbo car so you'll need a fwd turbo flywheel and clutch, the starter plate that bolts to the block, a turbo colt/mirage upper transmission mount and you will have to get all of the brackets and levers from any 89-92 csm manual transmission as well as the mount from the frame rail from a 89-92 manual csm. This should have you covered as far as mounting the trans.

You will also need a clutch pedal assembly from a csm with a hydraulic setup. All of the oem lines or a full SS clutch line from master to slave (easiest route). You'll have to swap in a brake pedal from a manual car or modify the pedal pad and make it smaller. Of course you'll need the shifter and cables. As far as wiring just find the large plug from the auto transmission and take the black/yellow and red/black wires, cut them and solder/heat shrink them together. This will bypass the park/neutral safety switch and make the starter spin when you turn the key. The down side to this is that the car will start in gear. You can also grab a wiring manual and wire in a safety switch on the clutch if this bothers you. I would grab a new master and slave cylinder from Rockauto and not install used parts just to be safe since they are pretty cheap. I think that's about it. Sounds like a lot but once you have all of the parts the swap can be done in a weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 am 

OK, damn that really sounds like a lot... jejeje do you think that is another tranny that is manual and would be more easy to swap?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:24 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Any auto to manual swap is going to go along those lines. The easiest part is mounting the transmission, hardest part is getting the rest of the car to work with it. Such as pedals, clutch master and slave cyl, lines, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:54 pm 
CSM Junkie

you can ask kotscolt... he did auto to manual conversion on his.. Not sure if its in his build, but you could always send a message..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:46 pm 
CSM Junkie

Please add location. Its the rules.

Just like jomorris2909 said, Any auto to manual swap will be along these lines..

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:52 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
OK, damn that really sounds like a lot... jejeje do you think that is another tranny that is manual and would be more easy to swap?
See my thread, I haven't updated in a while, I'm working on getting all the parts before I proceed modifying anymore, but I done a 4G15 auto swap to 4G61T with KM210 manual transmission. (turbo colt/mirage tranny) might give you some indication of what's involved. i did take the easy way by just installing the clutch pedal and not the full manual assembly, you would need to narrow the auto brake pedal a bit as it will be a bit close to the clutch pedal due to it's width.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=34307

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:02 pm 

So tomorrow im buying the tranny from a fwd Eagle Talon also with the flywheel. My mayor concern is about the clutch pedal... Any help?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:15 pm 

PM Crunchymilk on here to see if he still has his. If not I can grab one at the yard for you but it'll be around $45 + shipping.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:52 pm 

Thanks mirageman, I think I found a clutch pedal that works for me. This week I Bought the F5M33 tranny and im planning on doing the swap soon, im just going to do an engine rebuild to my 4g61 first. Ill think i will upload the pics so you guys can tell how am i doing ;). I have a question, does the fwd flywheel is different than the awd? Its because i got also the flywheel from the 4g63t engine that had the tranny but a friend of mine told me that i had bought a awd flywheel... :/