4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: noob question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:16 pm 

Since I plan on doing the 4g63t fwd swap on my 1.5 5 speed eventually. Ive been trying to collect the required parts.

My issue is I think my trans is going out but i have a 90dsm 5 speed trans in working condition in my back yard. Would I be able to just have it on in the mean time? im assuming the axles are different?
thanks

Post subject: Re: noob question
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:49 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Yes - you would need the DSM FWD axles as well (hubs as well). I'm not sure if the DSM FWD trans would fit onto the 1.5L motor.

2003 Suzuki GSX-R600

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:56 pm 

Quote:
Yes - you would need the DSM FWD axles as well (hubs as well). I'm not sure if the DSM FWD trans would fit onto the 1.5L motor.
thank you very much

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:30 pm 

The next problem would be your flywheel/clutch. You didn't mention if the 90 trans was a turbo dsm trans or not. I'm not sure that you'll find a larger flywheel that will fit the 5 bolt pattern from the 1.5 crank. Also does your car have a hydro or cable clutch setup?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:28 pm 

its turbo dsm trans and my colt its a cable clutch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 am 
Owner/Admin

Jaimer,it would just be easier all around to find a turbo car and go from there. When you start trying to find all the parts you need to make it work, you'll find it might be better to just start with a known pathway that works faster-Thats if you want to go turbo and can find 1 of these cars FYI. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:27 pm 

Quote:
Jaimer,it would just be easier all around to find a turbo car and go from there. When you start trying to find all the parts you need to make it work, you'll find it might be better to just start with a known pathway that works faster-Thats if you want to go turbo and can find 1 of these cars FYI. :drinkers:

true. Is there any dsm which is preferred hence 91/92. I know the 90 is the bastard child and should I avoid it? The only reason I asked i have a 6bolt and 90 turbo dsm trans in my backyard. Might just keep those as spares and look for a 1g and do the swap. Thanks for the replies

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:28 pm 
Now Drives a hybrid :(

actually the 90's have very similar electronics to our cars. They are the most compatible.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:42 pm 

Thanks. Worse part is ive had 2 1g "90" turbo dsms before. If I only knew ahead of time I was going to be a colt owner I would of kept em for the swap parts instead of scrapping em. sigh :x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 pm 

going to drop the trans tomm and going to see the damage. Im hoping I dont need to get a rebuilt done : / someone local to me is selling a trans off a gt. im assuming you cant use one of those on the 1.5 right

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:26 pm 
The Silent Administrator

You could probably use it with a proper starter plate and quite a few bits that you would have to source separately, like a large FWD or AWD flywheel and matching clutch. It might be a little on the heavy side of the stock 1.5l had a lighter flywheel from the factory. I am sure it is also recommended to use turbo axles and the intermediate shaft that bolts to the block, if you are lucky those holes are there from the factory, cause Mitsu did make the 1.5L with a 4WD chassis setup (Britain comes to mind). Without the holes in the block, you could not use the turbo axles and it would be more or less a crap shoot for fitment to the trans. You would also need to change the trans side mount to a turbo KM210 mount. I'm pretty sure that is the only difference aside from the internal guys of the transmission; higher torque capacity and different gear ratios.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 pm 

Quote:
You could probably use it with a proper starter plate and quite a few bits that you would have to source separately, like a large FWD or AWD flywheel and matching clutch. It might be a little on the heavy side of the stock 1.5l had a lighter flywheel from the factory. I am sure it is also recommended to use turbo axles and the intermediate shaft that bolts to the block, if you are lucky those holes are there from the factory, cause Mitsu did make the 1.5L with a 4WD chassis setup (Britain comes to mind). Without the holes in the block, you could not use the turbo axles and it would be more or less a crap shoot for fitment to the trans. You would also need to change the trans side mount to a turbo KM210 mount. I'm pretty sure that is the only difference aside from the internal guys of the transmission; higher torque capacity and different gear ratios.
thank you for the clarification

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:21 pm 

Since I can get a hold of a 89 colt gt trans. In order to do a 4g63t swap. Would I be able to use the trans with my front stock (1.5) axles or should I get the axles off the gt.
Would i save myself the headache of just buying a 1st gen dsm and transfering things over or is it simpler to piece together parts from a gt (wiring harness,trans,etc)

Reason I ask just found a 67k miles colt gt in the junkyard and its still pretty complete. Someone local to me is also selling the 1.6 motor and trans for a good price.
My original plan was saving up for a 1st gen then doing the swap.
Dont know which would be the best route to go

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

If you can get the gt axles and if they are still the real og turbo axles jump on them and get em. And all the rear brake stuff aswell so u can swap to disc brakes