4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:33 pm 

umm. unless i can just stick a new or maybe junkyard crankshaft in there without doing that whole silly process :wink:

haha but yeah i think even though the engine looks pretty clean already, im gunna go ahead and take the sucker apart n get a rebuild kit while im at it. Something to keep me busy while i gather all my parts for my AWD swap ya know?

so is the 4g63t the only engine i can scavenge for a Crankshaft? Would i be able to get away with a N/A crank instead or are they two different things? sorry if that was a really noobish Question :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:02 pm 
Some call me a god

The 6 bolt 4g63 crankshaft as per rock auto's listing:
"STANDARD CRANKSHAFT Part # 13570
Mitsubishi Built Eng; Crankshaft Neck Length Is Approximately 1 1/2". Flywheel Flange Has Six Bolt Holes; Forging #: 64; Ge,weight: 38"

Turbo or N/A, same part.
Quote:
haha but yeah i think even though the engine looks pretty clean already, im gunna go ahead and take the sucker apart n get a rebuild kit while im at it.
Sorry to tell you this, but if the crankshaft is out of the engine, it's already taken apart.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:44 pm 

Nice, so it doesnt matter whether its turbo or not!

And yea, im sure they couldnt just wish the Crank out of the block lol. Is it possible that they could have re-assembled it without the crank though?

Oh, anyone have any suggestions or tips for acquiring a relatively cheap crankshaft? Im looking at aftermarket crankshafts on the interwebz but they all cost so much!! LOL. as much as possible, I dont want the crank to cost more than the whole engine itself, and keep my project on a budget.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:01 pm 

So I looked at what needs to be done to disable the 4ws from the gvr4 and decided it was too much extra work lol. Anyway just this afternoon and saw a perfectly good talon awd with its rear in tact!

Anyway I just need to scrape up some dough(120 or so) and figure out exactly what I need and how to take em out. Are there any special tools i'll need to get before I go out there again? And what other things should I get besidesmthe rear? Drive shaft and motor mounts?

Thanks in advance for any help. And lmk if u need anything and I'll do my best to make a run for you 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:07 pm 

so we have a couple of talons, one black, manual FWD the other is white, auto with AWD.

I plan on taking out all the AWD goodies from the white one, which include: The rear subframe, transfercase, rear hubs, axles and driveshaft. If theres anything more i need please dont hesitate to let me know :D

From the black car, i just need the crankshaft and the 3-spoke leather steering wheel.

Would i need the fuel tank for my AWD swap as well? thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:48 pm 
Some call me a god

I used a DSM tank in mine, but lots of others have went with a racing fuel cell. It's really up to you. Chances are you won't be able to find a good place to mount the original tank.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:04 pm 

so your going auto with yours huh? thats whats my plan is also..

now when you say crank you mean this right?
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=dsm+cran ... CBA&zoom=1

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:46 pm 

hmm i see. fuel cells sound expensive lol. so i think i'll go with a tank from one of the talons.. shit i have 9 days to get all my crap out before they crush the car.. and my dreams haha.

and not quite steve, im only getting the AWD parts from the auto talon. and yeah, thats exactly what i meant by crank. would anyone be so kind as to tell me the steps to take one out of a 4g63? i know i need a deep socket for the spark plugs and FAT ass allen wrenches. any other special tools? :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:50 pm 

you basically need to strip the whole motor down to get that out.. and once its out there is no reason not to do a complete rebuild.

so you getting the awd auto trans..x-fer case..and rear end right?..that means your going auto awd :axe:

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:02 pm 

yeah, im getting just the crank outta the busted manual transmission engine.. probably the wiring harness as well if i can. but im getting a pretty clean engine, and it looks like they somehow put it back together without the crank if thats even possible.

and no, im getting the manual transmission that came with the engine im about to buy. hopefully since im getting both from one guy, he can give me a package deal :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:04 pm 

Quote:

so you getting the awd auto trans..x-fer case..and rear end right?..that means your going auto awd :axe:

Steve
i thought i can get the an AWD rear end from an auto transmission car, and not necessarily have an auto end product just as long as its matched with a manual tranny? :weedman:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:22 pm 

different gearing...auto is 331 (ish)...manual is 355 (ish).. gear ratio

steve

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:53 pm 

Quote:
different gearing...auto is 331 (ish)...manual is 355 (ish).. gear ratio

steve
wha??! crap so AWD parts from an auto transmission car CANT be paired with a manual engine and transmission?

dammit if its true cuz that means i wasted some time at the junk yard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:01 am 
Some call me a god

Just go with the auto man, it's gonna save you a lot of work and be way more reliable!

edit: Your car is'nt auto is it? Damn every time I see a sedan I instinctively think it is auto because mine is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:32 pm 

Quote:
Just go with the auto man, it's gonna save you a lot of work and be way more reliable!

edit: Your car is'nt auto is it? Damn every time I see a sedan I instinctively think it is auto because mine is.
aww auto shmotto.. jk jk, ehh just so bored of auto though, so i guess i'll just wait..