4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:14 am 

so I think i sourced out all the parts i think i'd need to do the AWD+4g63t Swap all at once.
Im looking at two different sources with parts from 3 different cars. I just want to know if they'll even work together once their all in the car. If it did, i would have one awesome franken-summit.

Here's what I managed to find:
-Gvr4 rear end, drive shaft, rear hubs, transfer case, etc. (should i get parts for front end suspension too?)
-1g Talon tsi ecu+matching wiring harness
-6bolt 4g63 engine+matching AWD tranny from an unknown car. Was running until they pulled the crankshaft, complete with everything but.

these are pretty much all the things i need right? If i did a proper swap into my 1.5 Summit sedan, it should in theory start right?

thanks for any input!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:48 am 

personally I would do the engine swap.. get the car started and running first..then do the rear end..

for 1, u will need to have the drive shaft shortened.. u need to get a custom cross member made ( I think a member on here makes and sells them). for the x-fer case to fit properly.

if the car was running why did they pull the crankshaft out?. that would make it a non running car/motor..

make sure the engine harness is for the motor you have.. IE: 90 is different than 91-94..if the harness and ecu are from a 91 and the engine is a 90.. the some of the plugs are diff and wont work.

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:15 am 

yeah, i'll take your advice and start with the engine first.

If im not mistaken, isn't the shortening of the drivshaft only required for the hatch?? Thanks for that, but is it cheaper to fabricate my own crossmember?

The crankshaft was pulled for another car that needed one. I guess the guy needed a shell and crankshaft that the engine was all that was left.

crap.. not sure if the engine would match up w/ the harness, cuz the guy with the engine cant remember what year it came out of. If there is any way to know what year the engine is without the actual car? Maybe some serial numbers something etched on?

MUCH appreciated Steve!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:52 am 

Find the plugs for the cam sensor, throttle body and the coil and see if they will plug into your engine. I think you are correct about the driveshaft since the sedans are slightly longer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:54 pm 

and you mean the plugs on the harness right? Thanks a lot for the this info. Im assuming that if the harness'll plug into the cam sensor, coil n TB, it should work no problem compatibility wise?

woot woot. my homework HAS been paying off! lol 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:26 pm 
Some call me a god

You need the equal length "Turbo" axles too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:49 am 

turbo what now? so im thinkin you mean the front and back drive axles right? agh.. maybe i should just get the DVD lol.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am 
Some call me a god

Front CV axles. You can't use the unequal length 1.5 front axles for an AWD conversion. The DSM intermediate shaft is fine, but you need something to connect the front hubs to the transmission. Hence the need for turbo CSM front axles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 pm 

Quote:
and you mean the plugs on the harness right? Thanks a lot for the this info. Im assuming that if the harness'll plug into the cam sensor, coil n TB, it should work no problem compatibility wise?

woot woot. my homework HAS been paying off! lol 8)

Exactly

Also on the axle search around on here for the elantra lower control arm and expo knuckle upgrade. This makes the track slightly wider so easy to source awd dsm axles will fit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:54 pm 

awesome thanks mirageman and coltsfan! So Mirageman, youre in the middle of your AWD swap right? And coltsfan, i believe youre allready done with yours. Did you rely on lil evo's video or did you manage without it? I wanna know if i can save myself the cash and just go off other's builds threads.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 pm 

Jason's video is worth the money for sure. Its not really a step by step deal, in other words you still have to have quite a bit of skill to get it done. It does however show you some pointers and measurements along with what you need to remove from the rear to make room.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:02 am 

Ehh didnt really expect it to be that easy lol. Hopefully its somewhat noob friendly, but is the video organized in a certain way?

another thing:

I just heard from the owner of the engine+tranny that it might have come out of a 91' DSM. What other engine years are its parts interchangeable with?

Really appreciate ur help Mirageman! :supz:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:58 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Ehh didnt really expect it to be that easy lol. Hopefully its somewhat noob friendly, but is the video organized in a certain way?

another thing:

I just heard from the owner of the engine+tranny that it might have come out of a 91' DSM. What other engine years are its parts interchangeable with?

Really appreciate ur help Mirageman! :supz:
91-94 are all interchangeable I believe, 90 was the odd ball year for the harnesses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:42 pm 

ahh, PSI, you da MAN!

So i think the Crankshaftless engine can be had at 150$ or less depending on how well i can haggle lol. He even has the matching AWD tranny with it. Anyone care to let me know how much YOU would pay for the combo? are the valve cover, exhaust manifold and coils and turbo elbow the kind of thing i should try and get thrown in for free?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:20 pm 

so by saying this.."Crankshaftless engine" you are saying you need to build/rebuild this motor?

Steve