4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:47 pm 

Hello all, glad to be part of this site. I finally found a 89 turbo colt, really clean car, but has 1 issue. Before i get yelled at, i did do a quick search, but didnt find quite exactly what i was looking for. The car seems to bog a bit, id say anywhere after the 1500rpm range. It doesnt cause the car to shake uncontrollably, but its annoying. I am wondering if it is the MAF, not sure. I have parts from my 92 TSI Talon, everything. What parts can i directly bolt on and use to either (a) might fix the problem, or (b) safely add a little power for now. I have future plans, but id like to make the car a little more fun for now. The turbo i have from the talon is a 14b, is this a direct bolt on? Any help is appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:03 pm 
2nd Banana

Moved to newbie tech because you obviously didn't feel like searching for the answers to these questions.

As far as the bogging, you probably have a boost leak, do a pressure test of your intake system and see if you have any leaks.

You can't bolt a 14b directly on because the Colts came with a TD04 turbo like an automatic DSM. If you have all the oil and water lines, and a 1g manifold (the colt manifold is tiny), then you can bolt the 14b directly on there. You can use the 1g MAF, but since the Colt MAF is smaller you will run leaner, and it would be a good idea to use an S'AFC to tune out the difference. If you used 1g 450cc injectors at the same time as the MAF it would cancel that out somewhat, but the Colt ECU is still calibrated for 390cc injectors and a smaller MAF, so having an S'AFC is a good idea unless you want to swap in a DSM ECU (has to be out of a '90 if you want direct plug-in.)

Post up some pics of the Colt!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:04 pm 

Thanks for the reply, i will post pics soon. I will do a leakdown test, guess i shoulda thought of that. I had kind of the same problem with my tsi yrs back, remember doing leakdown test, it was good, i will try it on my new machine. Thanks again. :supz:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:10 pm 
Some call me a god

Do not confuse a cylinder leakdown test, which is a test for blow-by and an intake pressure test, which tests for leakage points throughout the intake tract that may be present during boosted operation of the engine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:01 pm 
2nd Banana

Yeah, cylinder leakdown test not to be confused with intake leak test.

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/ICtester.html

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:37 pm 

yea i know the difference, i had a talon tsi, did the intake leak test. thx for the heads up tho :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:49 pm 
Some call me a god

I checked the base timing on my turbo mirage, while I was experiencing the affects you are having. The timing was off by three degrees. I got it set to factory timing and all the bogging was gone. Make sure you check the timing, too, if you haven't already.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:04 pm 

Ok, ill check the timing, great idea. I also am wondering if fuel could be the problem. Should I be running premium? My tsi I had too, I don't if this guy was running it or not. Sorry about not searching, I'm at work on my blackbery, otherwise I would

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:53 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Ok, ill check the timing, great idea. I also am wondering if fuel could be the problem. Should I be running premium? My tsi I had too, I don't if this guy was running it or not. Sorry about not searching, I'm at work on my blackbery, otherwise I would
Yes, you should be running premium. Running lower octane fuel will cause the car to ping, that ping will be detected by the knock sensor, which will in turn pull out timing. If you're still on the stock boost solenoid it will also pull back boost accordingly. It won't make the car fall flat on its face or anything, but it will definitely feel slower.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:16 pm 

Ok great, i just thought of it today, the car isnt in my posession yet. It is getting a new ebrake cable for safety, so tomorrow i should have it, ill take pics. But i am gonna ask this guy what fuel he was running. Hopefully thats the problem, its exactly like you said, feels sluggish, but doesnt fall completely flat. Im wondering if thats why he is selling it, he only got it 3 months ago. Ok Ill keep you posted, thx again :supz:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:39 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Ok great, i just thought of it today, the car isnt in my posession yet. It is getting a new ebrake cable for safety, so tomorrow i should have it, ill take pics. But i am gonna ask this guy what fuel he was running. Hopefully thats the problem, its exactly like you said, feels sluggish, but doesnt fall completely flat. Im wondering if thats why he is selling it, he only got it 3 months ago. Ok Ill keep you posted, thx again :supz:
It's pretty rough when you pick one of these up, not knowing the care that's been given to it. The previous owner of the Mirage I have couldn't tell me all the issues the car had.....consequently, I spent a year working out all the bugs. It takes a lot of dedication....labor of love, and a few extra bones....but it's worth it when everything lines up for you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:13 pm 

Yea finally got the car in my possession, someone thought they knew how to install a stereo, hard wired the old one in, so now i have a mess of wires, got new head unit in today. Found out i have a fuel leak, very small, its raining out so i will wait to look, but it seems to be a fuel line. Exhaust comes from left rear wheel well, so i know the exhaust has a leak(but thats getting replace front to back with 2.5"). Still bogs a bit, filled it with high test, so see if that helps, but if there is a hole in the fuel line, that could be my problem when revving the motor. Thats it so far, i will post pics when i get a nicer day, but all in all, the car is in excellent shape for being 20 yrs old, a few bugs, but definitely worth it. I think i am gonna have more fun with this car than my tsi i had.

ps. also sounds like throw out bearing has had it, just barely touching the clutch peddle and you can hear it, so add that to the to-do list lol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:56 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
ps. also sounds like throw out bearing has had it, just barely touching the clutch peddle and you can hear it, so add that to the to-do list lol
If the throwout bearing was bad it would only make noise when your foot is off the clutch. As soon as you push the clutch in more than halfway the noise should go away.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:24 pm 

Ok, thats sounds right, but i cant think of anything else it would be. When i saw touch the clutch, i mean even resting my foot on it, fluid id good, i cant imagine just resting my foot on the peddle that the clutch would already be engaging, so i dont think its the disc itself, i figured as soon as i put tension on the throw out bearing, it starts to make noise. I dunno should i ride this out, by summer i plan on doing my 4g63t swap, id hate to put money into this only to have it all ripped apart again in a few months. It shifts fine, any ideas from others would be great. thx