4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:15 am 
Restricted Newbie

Yes, Another thing wrong with my poor Colt. Yesterday I got in the car to drive to work. Started it up, let it run for few mins and then shift it into Drive. Nothing it just jerks and shuts off. Did this 2 more times same result. Only way to get it going was to rev it up, get off the gas, put into D and back on gas hard and quick and take off with some wheel spin(wet roads raining last night). Once it was going it ran slow like it had no power, and if I came to a stop, it shakes and shuts off. It feels like a stick getting ready to stall and you push the clutch in and its fine. So what can it be the torque convertor? Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed please.

When I came home friday from work, it ran fine nothing like this. It sits over the weekend and now this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:20 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Sounds like moisture trouble with the dist cap or plug wires. If your ECU has not been repaired then get it repaired NOW! High humidity or condensation's will cause the currant to short or take another path of least resistance causing the engine to mis-fire. As the ECU capastators start to fail high humidity can cause them to start to short. I know this first hand. My colt did this for about 3 months before the ECU just gave it up and I had to find another! As a newbie I was going crazy trying to figure it why some days it would run great and other days it wouldn't. However like I said I would always check the dist cap and plug wires are good the my next step would be having the ECU repaired with new caps and have it checked for leakage.

Post subject: So its not the tranny?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:10 pm 
Restricted Newbie

So it has nothing to do with the tranny? So If I let it sit for a day or 2 to dry out it should be fine? I hope its that simple, I been meaning to get a ECU at the local u pull it, but just havent had time yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:14 am 
The Silent Administrator

Pick and pull ECU's may be the reason the car is there in the first place; they all fail with the capacitors that were installed at the factory between 198x and 1994. See if you can rebuild the capacitor setup on your current ECU if the traces aren't eaten through, or last resort get another working ECU from a member and rebuild it. Don't take chances on a scrapyard electrical part with no warranty at all! Just looking to save you some trouble if it comes down to replacing the ECU.

Check your timing, and ignition system and see if something is out of whack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:20 pm 
Restricted Newbie

No its something in the tranny. I started it to move it today, and I put it in Reverse, it jerked hard and died. I had to Neutral drop it to even get it moving, and it sounded bad.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:22 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Bump- Same issue- Any solution before I put in a different ECU?

Car sat for 3 months. (Out of Province.)

Came back to this problem.

Ian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:55 am 
CSM Junkie

There is also a TCU (transmission control unit) on automatic vehicles. I would pull it and check for corrosion or leaking capacitors. The TCU resides in the center console, iirc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:10 pm 
Restricted Newbie

It started one day, and drove fine all weekend.

I left it for 7 days, back on base- now, same problem.

fruit and banana,

Any other tips- My bud is going to take a peak it it while I'm gone again- If all fails, I'm calling the local transmission shop (Good dudes @Macs).

Ian