CSM Expert

works for me!!! :D

just like huked ohn foniks :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:28 am 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

Side lesson: How to find a short the EASY way

Step 1. Install a large amperage circuit breaker in place of the fuse.

Step 2. look for the smoke
hahaha :lol:

i'd call burning your car to the ground the HARD way

nah that was funny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:28 am 

Quote:
geez, what a bunch of geeks you guys are.
Im a certified licensed Electrician, and it doesnt have to be that complicated for what this board needs.
Even when in school, we didnt talk like that!

The basic of ohm's law has been stated in a simple manner in order for non-electrically inclined people to understand.
I make these posts to help people. My post starts basic but explains exactly how to troubleshoot automotive electrical circuits.

It may be a bit in depth but it is difficult to explain yourself by writing. It takes allot to build a picture for some.

If you are a certified electrician than you should be responding to this post by giving a useful opinion or information.

I do accept criticism but I don’t respect an insult.

Bingo--- :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:48 am 
Some call me a god

SO, accordign to this, how many volts were traveling through me when I got zaped and blown off the table tig welding aluminium today? I was at 160 amps at the time.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:06 am 
CSM Expert

Quote:
SO, accordign to this, how many volts were traveling through me when I got zaped and blown off the table tig welding aluminium today? I was at 160 amps at the time.
Tig welders usually have some 5 to 10 Volts or so but a really high amperage. And because it's DC, it's gonna HURT. :eew:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:21 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:
Tig welders usually have some 5 to 10 Volts or so but a really high amperage. And because it's DC, it's gonna HURT. :eew:
Oh it was sweet. :x

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:52 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
yeah it definetly is all about amps not volts....that must've really really sucked

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:12 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
yeah it definetly is all about amps not volts....that must've really really sucked
Well, a breif story behind it, I was welding some intercoolers together, and I diped the fill onto the tip of the gun, but it "took it and it sucked it completle onto the tip, basically one peice. Not thinking, I took it off the peice, and with the rod in my -bare- hand, slmed the pedal to free it, as if it was stuck on the peice I was welding. Since my elbo was on the welding table, I was well grounded. If you dont know anything about tig welding, htis wont make much sense, but let me just tell you it sucked.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:04 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

there is no way you got zapped by 160amps, that would of burned your arm right off before you even realized what was going on.

0.070A is enough to stop your heart. even a "defibulator" (that heart starting machine) runs at 0.1A->0.2A. so 160amps is enough to burn you and your house down. regardless of voltage. voltage doesn't mean anything, it's all about current.

the only reason high voltage is "more dangerous" is because there's more potential of higher currents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:17 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
there is no way you got zapped by 160amps, that would of burned your arm right off before you even realized what was going on.

0.070A is enough to stop your heart. even a "defibulator" (that heart starting machine) runs at 0.1A->0.2A. so 160amps is enough to burn you and your house down. regardless of voltage. voltage doesn't mean anything, it's all about current.

the only reason high voltage is "more dangerous" is because there's more potential of higher currents.
I will show you a pic of the settings on the welder. I have a what now looks to be permanent scar of a burn on my hand and my elbow. Its funny, it is so much juice it doent even make sense to you. Shit I am still worried when I tig shit now, I ware a ling sleve, gloves, long pants...

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:28 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
Quote:

I will show you a pic of the settings on the welder. I have a what now looks to be permanent scar of a burn on my hand and my elbow. Its funny, it is so much juice it doent even make sense to you. $%# I am still worried when I tig $%# now, I ware a ling sleve, gloves, long pants...
This is the shop welder

http://www.welders-direct.com/merchant2 ... de=K1825-1

275 available AMPS at 100% duty cycle. I was at 65% duty cycle, full pedal at the time. You do the math, I was the ground.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:42 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

All I see regarding amperage is Patent pending Micro-Start technology for state-of-the-art low amperage starting: 2 amps DC, 5 amps AC.

maybe you're mixing up volts with amps.. I just find it hard, very, very hard to believe that any human, for any duration of time, can take 2285 times the death limit for electrical current and only have burn marks / scars at the contact points.

sorry dude, I don't believe you, you're mixing concepts up. and if you're not, then you should be a super hero, and I will forever call you "SUPERMAN" :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:28 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:
for state-of-the-art low amperage starting: 2 amps DC, 5 amps AC.[/i]
Not to be a dick, but can you read? STARTING at, as in lowest setting, which is state of the art because the lowest setting for a tig is usually 15-20amps, so at 2 to 5, you can weld pop can thin metal together, which is nice.

I am not going to run around this. It is plainly pbvious what amperage the welder puts out, it is the correspondign number of the welder. You can call your local fab shop yourself and ask them the max amperage of there tig welder, or if someone here workes at a shop can chime in about there unit.....

I guess I need an S on my chest then.

06 C6 Z06- 600whp NA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:20 pm 
CSM Junkie

you guys both must've been sleeping through your hs electricity classes!

boostfreak stated that the current flowed through his hand and out his elbow!

if he would've been holding the tip of the TIG with his right hand and the metal workbench with his left hand (preferably while standing on a thick rubber mat) THEN the electricitys easiest route to ground would be straight across his HEART - and he probably would be dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:43 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Wouldn't also the body's ability to not conduct electicity like a metal wire, would have something to do with him not fully grounding out to it's full potential. Do I make sense on that one, I just wouldn't want to think of it any other way than that. Burnt flesh has to be up there with burnt hair on my list of things to avoid.