4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:29 am 

Bingo’s Weekly Lesson

Here on the boards there are a lot of questions that get asked. With the right knowledge one would be able to fix their problem just by learning something about cars. Rather than posting a question that may not get replies or that may have you working on your car for hours trying to figure out if someone else’s problem is the same as yours; you could be diagnosing it yourself. To me forums have become a breading ground for misinformed people and fluff posts. E.X. How can I make my car faster (Air/Fuel = Power. More cfm’s and more fuel will give you power. Its that simple.) or the ever so common “a dummy light came on what does this meanâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 12:55 am 

Nice post Bingo perhaps the head honcho would consider to make these posts of yours stickies. Good information for newcomers.

Keep it up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:06 am 
CSM Junkie

Very good idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:39 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Quote:
Ohm’s Law
Ohm’s law can be very help full. It basically states that it takes 1amp to push 1 volt through 1 ohm.
I really hate the way that is stated. Sort of a pet peve of mine, because of how so many people look at circuits in their cars. That may be verbatim what Ohm's law is, but when someone is new to electricity, they need to understand that power is drawn by a circuit, electricity isn't being "pushed". I've often heard of people saying, "Maybe my battery's voltage surged and blew xxxx". When you can't have a battery at a given voltage push more power through something at a given resistance. Maybe someone can put this into simpler english.

I remember, it was a guy's tail light fuse that kept burning out, and he couldn't grasp the idea that a short was lowering the resisitance which DREW more amperage.

Side lesson: How to find a short the EASY way

Step 1. Install a large amperage circuit breaker in place of the fuse.

Step 2. look for the smoke

1g ECU, Injectors, Exhaust manifold, 16g evo III Turbo, SMIC, and C Exhaust cam -9*
K&N Air filter, airbox cut up, MSD plug wires, NGKs, Apexi S-AFC II, MAF translator, tubular o2 housing w/ dump tube, Full 3" mandral.

Now I ran out of fuel!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:40 am 

Oh yeah, nice write up, and great info. Can't wait to see more.

1g ECU, Injectors, Exhaust manifold, 16g evo III Turbo, SMIC, and C Exhaust cam -9*
K&N Air filter, airbox cut up, MSD plug wires, NGKs, Apexi S-AFC II, MAF translator, tubular o2 housing w/ dump tube, Full 3" mandral.

Now I ran out of fuel!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:17 am 
Some call me a god

Nice to see you back Bingo.

Where you been? School keeping you down?

8)

94 Talon TSi AWD Auto - Sold
90 Laser RS FWD 4G63T - Hit and totalled

Summer - 2000 Pontiac Fireturkey Trans Am LS1 A4
Winter - 2006 Honda CRV K24 5MT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:15 pm 

Wow! I dint expect this much feed back. Thank You. So In reply to all here goes.

JMirage
The movement of voltage I know doesn’t take place. There are many theories out there. The best way to understand it though is in the sensc that opposites attract. A negative charge will attract a positive charge. Ohm's law works well because it allows you to calculate resistance in a circuit without actually removing and measuring all of the consumers. (Like a motor that is hard to get to.) When we use these methods its not always to find a short. It could me to measure a batt cable that is corroded or even to find opens and shorts in windings. Also I wouldn’t recommend burning wires up just to find the problem. When a wire burns it will also burn wires around it and also you could be destroying relays and entire harnesses. I do respect your post and im not trying to cause any conflict. I just want people to be well informed.

akdriverjd
Yah school has been getting me down. I don’t have a computer there so when I come home for the weekend its really the only time I can post. I hope I get the internet there soon so I can post my lessons more often.

And To The Moderators
If you could please put this as a sticky or make a sub forum for them. There will be quite a few more to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 1:28 am 
Restricted Newbie

I have to agree with bingo on the burning wire thing. The fuse is selected to blow so that you don't break anything more important (wires usually are not the first thing to burn up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:25 pm 

I willl be posting my next lesson between the 25th and 28th. Please give me some electrical questions to answer in my next lesson.

Bingo--- :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:18 am 

Sorry for my inactive post. It has been a bad week. 1st the site goes down so I cant post and seccond I had to leave for school before it went back up. I will be posting my next lesson later today.

Again Im sorry for the delay

Bingo-----

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:55 pm 
"Ohm’s law can be very help full. It basically states that it takes 1amp to push 1 volt through 1 ohm."

This definition seems a little shakey...

Volts can not be "pushed" nor "pulled". Its better to use the term "potential difference" as in the potential difference of electrons AND/OR protons between two given terminals(or points).

For every "POTENTIAL DIFFERENCE" of 1, 1 amp(coulomb per second) will encounter 1 ohm of resistance.

Charge is actually what "flows" through conductors as AC/DC, not volts.

Awesome job though Bingo! This is a great idea! Definitely a trick subject to explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:14 am 

now if we wanna be suuupper technical, we can say that

1. Ohms' Law is the assertion that a current through a device is always directly proportional to the potential difference applied to the device.

2. A given device obeys Ohm's Law if its resistance R, as defined by R = V/i, is independent of the applied potential difference V.

3. A given material obeys Ohm's Law if its resistivity, defined by rho = Electric Field / Current Density (E/J), is independent of the magnitude and direction of the applied electric field.

pheeww

now you may be wondering. wtf? R doesn't depend on V? well, saying that V = iR is not a statement of Ohm's Law. that's the defining equation for resistance. it works for devices that obey Ohm's Law or not. Ohm's Law is the plot of i versus V which is linear, that is, R is independent of V.

and for completion (why not) 1 ampere is defined as the constant current which, if maintained in two straight, parallel conductors of infinite length, of negligible circular cross section, and placed 1 metre apart in vacuum, would produce on each of these conductors a force of magnitude 2x10^(-7) N/m.

most household outlets produce from 15-30amps, depending what the circuit is for (ie stove, fridge will get the higher amp outputs) and as some of you probably know that's enough to cause some serious damage.. and a car can generate that sort of current, if not more. so be warmed, before diving into your wireharess be damn careful, being electrocuted sucks massive goat balls.

OH, and while we're talking about amps, to measure current you must connect the amp metre in SERIES ie you can't take the amp metre tips and just stick them in two different spots and expect to get results.. you'll quickly blow up your circuit doing that since in essence you're created a short circuit with the amp meter (amp meter = negligible resistance, volt/resistance meter = "inifinite" resistance)

if you want to get amps, you're best bet is to just use V = iR => i = V/R. both V and R can be measured in PARALLEL so it's safe to just point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:51 am 
CSM Junkie

:o Fine stuff on both sides. (I'm really posting to keep notice.) The problem with simplyfying mathmatical theory is that the cognoscente understand because they know what was left out. Try and give some explanation that the mythical boobied blonde babe can use. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:53 pm 
This subject is pretty hard for me to grasp(im still working on #3 above :D ) but i think all the posters are doing a good job with explanation. A pen a paper really helps out with sorting out the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:56 pm 
Some call me a god

geez, what a bunch of geeks you guys are.
Im a certified licensed Electrician, and it doesnt have to be that complicated for what this board needs.
Even when in school, we didnt talk like that!

The basic of ohm's law has been stated in a simple manner in order for non-electrically inclined people to understand.