4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:13 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:12 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

unior & Flying Eagle, you're both absolutely correct.

unior, the current would go only through his arm, I only made the reference to the heart to give something to compare against so people can get an understanding of the magnitude of 160amps when it only takes 0.07A to stop your heart.

and Eagle, yeah, the internal resistance of your internals which is fair to approximate it has the same resistance as water since you're pretty much water based.

pure water sits at around 2.5x10^5 ohm resistance which is fairly high, so at 5 volts yeah I guess you could get zapped by a tig with only little burns 'cause the full out 160amps wouldn't get a chance to flow through you.

so sorry boostfreak for ever doubting you haha. but let it known that a true current of 160amps through the body would burn you inside out in milliseconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:22 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:

pure water sits at around 2.5x10^5 ohm resistance which is fairly high,
yeah, most people think water really conducts electricity....although its the metal content in some water that allows it to really conduct....so soft water = less conductivity

thats why when i had my home pc's CPU watercooled i always used distilled water in case i sprung a leak :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:45 pm 
CSM Expert

that and hard water would have started corroding things and the only way you'd find out is that burnt electronics smell coming from what used to be your processor :lol:
oh, i don't claim to know much about electricity, but i thought the more resistance you have, the hotter things get? take a lightbulb for instance. the filiment has a lot of resistance because the wire is so much smaller than all the other wire (kinda like that whole walbro fuel pump rewire thing) so it gets hot and glows. i'm prolly completely wrong about all of this though :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:39 am 

unior, heh, I've heard of people try to actually submerge their entire PCs in oil which is nonconductive to eliminate all fans.

and netninja,

Resistive Thermal Dissipation = I^2*R = V^2/R

these equations imply that the higher the resistance, the less heat it will given off. heat depends more on voltage and current, this is evident by the fact that they're to a higher power then resistance.

and the resistance in a filament of a lightbulb is relatively low, it's only in the order of severals 10's of ohms. maybe in the 100's but I doubt it. the only reason it glows so much is because of the super fast current that flows through it.

it takes advantage of bernoulli's principle which basically states that for a given volume of water (in this case, electric charge) it will travel faster in a thin pipe (thin wire) as opposed to a thick pipe (thick wire). so when a given charge goes from a thick to thin wire, it's speed (current) will increase proportionally.

this I suspect is what's happening with the walbro pumps, going from a thick to thin wire the current has to speed up in the thin wire to keep current flow density (J) constant. then when it gets back to a thick wire it can slow down again to what it was before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:33 am 
CSM Expert

:wtf: ummmmmm, ok, that was prolly the LAST thing I'll post in one of bingo's threads! HAHAHA! I'm completly lost. but don't worry about explaining further, i got the general gist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 3:15 pm 

this picture should clarify I hope...

A1 and A2 are the same volume (same amount of charge).. but A2 needs to travel x_2 distance while A1 only needs to travel x_1 in the same amount of time.. so A2 is definitely going to be travelling much much faster than A1. ie, the charge in A2 will have a faster current flow then the charge in A1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:05 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
that and hard water would have started corroding things and the only way you'd find out is that burnt electronics smell coming from what used to be your processor :lol:
well, i was toying with an amd k6-3 450 - which had a solid alloy plate on top the processor - so i siliconed a pvc water block directly onto the processor - i had trouble getting it to hold pressure though :-?

the right way to water cool is to use a sealed copper water block - so the copper is the only thing in contact with the cpu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:14 pm 

cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:49 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
cool
You have to be kidding me. This post is from 2005... so I don't know how in the heck you found it. Then... all you wrote was cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:47 pm 

Yep cool

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:31 am 
CSM Junkie

Laconic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:29 am 

Us newbies need more info like this.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:40 am 

Quote:
geez, what a bunch of geeks you guys are.
Im a certified licensed Electrician, and it doesnt have to be that complicated for what this board needs.
Even when in school, we didnt talk like that!

The basic of ohm's law has been stated in a simple manner in order for non-electrically inclined people to understand.
All we got taught about ohms law at uni was, V = I x R, I = V/R, R = V/I.