4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: My DSM vs. a 400+whp RX7
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:21 am 
2nd Banana

So I've known this guy for a while who was doing this monster build in a 2nd-Gen RX-7. It's originally an N/A car, but he converted it to Turbo. The car was down for at least over a year getting a fairly stout 13B built for it. High-compression rotors, big street-port, Haltech EMS, T70 turbo, big fuel system, 18psi (a LOT for a Rotary). He had it dyno-tuned, and it made 417whp on a Mustang Dyno on 100 octane unleaded, so it's hard to say what it would put down on a DynoJet. Either way, he's always wanted a piece of my Eclipse, and last night he called me out, so we met up earlier tonight for a little action.

My car literally had sat for about 3 weeks prior, I did nothing special, haven't changed the tune in ages, just pulled it out of the garage and drove it to the meet-up spot. It's running 30psi on 111 octane leaded racing fuel, and it's tuned to somewhere around 11.9-12:1 afr's. I can't really up the boost any more as I'm maxing out my injectors because I still have a single in-tank pump and stock feed/return lines. :oops:

I have no clue how much power my car is making, I've always guesstimated it at 450whp, give or take. He claims his RX-7 weighs 2,650lbs. with him in it, which seems light to me. My car has to weigh at LEAST 3,200lbs. with me in it, so I'm not sure how it will turn out. I know I will definitely have a major traction advantage on him going from a 2nd-gear roll, which is what we were doing.

So we line up on the freeway side-by-side, I'm brake-boosting, and I'm pretty sure he is too. He honks 3 times, and we're off. I immediately pull quite hard on him, at least 2 cars it seems. I no-lift-shift into 3rd and maintain my lead, crack 4th and he's still way back there! I feel happy. 8) He claimed he had major wheelspin in 2nd, but I didn't notice from my car, his car seemed to pull clean through the gear.

He signals to me that he wants to go from 3rd, so I agree. We line up again, only this time he decides not to honk and just goes for it. I'm brake-boosting in 3rd, but I'm still way out of my powerband, but I go for it anyway. He pulls on me, but I stay with him. I hear his car breaking up pretty bad, then he mis-shifts into 4th. I shift into 4th and fly past him. He comes around me with his hazards on, and pulls off to the side of the freeway--blown motor. Yep kids, this is why I will never own anything powered by a Rotary. He no longer has any compression, we had to push his car off the freeway and he had to call AAA for a tow truck. I drove my DSM home safe and sound. :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:21 am 
The Silent Administrator

Better tear down the motor and see what the carnage really was! Bring along some custom stickers with that say, "PoWned by OG Mitsu", to place on every piece that failed in glorious and simultaneous harmony. :twisted:

It's too bad things weren't closer in at least you would be better able to determine how both cars truly react in a dead heat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:22 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Better tear down the motor and see what the carnage really was! Bring along some custom stickers with that say, "PoWned by OG Mitsu", to place on every piece that failed in glorious and simultaneous harmony. :twisted:

It's too bad things weren't closer in at least you would be better able to determine how both cars truly react in a dead heat.
I think if he didn't jump out on me in 3rd gear it would have been just about even, his car has tons of top-end, but mine does too. As far as from a stop, well we would both need slicks, and I'm told his car launches quite hard even on street tires, but that was back before he started putting down 400+ at the wheels.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:30 pm 
Some call me a god

Nice kill... :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:49 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Awsome win! That sucks for the rotary guy...and we think we have it bad sometimes. Those thing break if the wind blows wrong. meh. I'll take my unefficient, iron block, piston engine any day over a rotary. Now just swap the motor into your CSM and come play with the 130 mph club. What tuning system are you using in the DSM also?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:54 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Awsome win! That sucks for the rotary guy...and we think we have it bad sometimes. Those thing break if the wind blows wrong. meh. I'll take my unefficient, iron block, piston engine any day over a rotary. Now just swap the motor into your CSM and come play with the 130 mph club. What tuning system are you using in the DSM also?
Hehe, they don't break as easily if the person tuning/driving isn't an idiot. He took it to a place that specializes in tuning Haltechs, but they don't specialize in tuning Rotaries. This guy has a history of running his car on the ragged edge anyway, it was only a matter of time.

I'm sort of hoping to be in the 130mph club with this setup in my DSM, at least I don't think it's too far off. This setup in my Mirage would be ridiculous! Haha. I'm using an ECU+ piggyback with a GM MAF blow-thru, and have LOTS of EPROM modifications. It's not an ideal setup, and I'll probably go MegaSquirt pretty soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:49 am 
1595 cc's of fury

Quote:
Quote:
Hehe, they don't break as easily if the person tuning/driving isn't an idiot. He took it to a place that specializes in tuning Haltechs, but they don't specialize in tuning Rotaries. This guy has a history of running his car on the ragged edge anyway, it was only a matter of time.

I'm sort of hoping to be in the 130mph club with this setup in my DSM, at least I don't think it's too far off. This setup in my Mirage would be ridiculous! Haha. I'm using an ECU+ piggyback with a GM MAF blow-thru, and have LOTS of EPROM modifications. It's not an ideal setup, and I'll probably go MegaSquirt pretty soon.
The new version of DSMLink aka ECMLink is looking very promising. 130 mph at 450 awhp in a 3200 lb car is going to be tough. Most calculations for that weight and hp put you in the low 120's, but if you put it in a 2600 lb car, your estimated trap speed is 130.40 mph...do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:59 am 
2nd Banana

Quote:
The new version of DSMLink aka ECMLink is looking very promising. 130 mph at 450 awhp in a 3200 lb car is going to be tough. Most calculations for that weight and hp put you in the low 120's, but if you put it in a 2600 lb car, your estimated trap speed is 130.40 mph...do it.
I really need to dyno my car, because I have no idea how much power it's making. It could very well be over 450whp. I raced a buddy's 240Z powered by an LS1 making 411whp, and got him by 1 car, but I had to let off because I started to blow out spark. It could have been a pretty even race, and his car weighs maybe 2,600lbs. with him in it, possibly less. I'm thinking I'm making a lot closer to 500whp, but that's still probably not good enough for 130 traps.

Not putting it in my Mirage. My Mirage is my daily-driver, and it will not have more than 350whp as that is enough to make the tires spin to well over 100mph.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:38 pm 
1595 cc's of fury

Nicely accessorized 1G's make great daily drivers. 24" slicks will handle the power. Just try it for a weekend and get back to me...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:54 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Nicely accessorized 1G's make great daily drivers. 24" slicks will handle the power. Just try it for a weekend and get back to me...
Haha, man, that's way too much work. I've often thought about making my 1g the daily driver and making the Mirage a race car, but my 1g is way too nice to daily drive, and the Mirage is way too rare to cut up and turn into a race car. I like what I've got going on presently. :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:59 pm 
CSM Junkie

Nice Job Tonus!

Nick needs to dump that pos rotard he keeps blowing up and put a real engine in it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:03 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Nice Job Tonus!

Nick needs to dump that pos rotard he keeps blowing up and put a real engine in it.
Agreed, but he's in too deep at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
Nice Job Tonus!

Agreed, but he's in too deep at this point.
Prob spent WAY more than an LS1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:29 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
Prob spent WAY more than an LS1.
Oh, without a doubt. He'd probably spent that much before he dropped the mad cash to have his current blown motor built. What a sucker...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:19 pm 
Some call me a god

Well since he grenaded his motor, tell to join the dark side....