4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Clash of the sleepers
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:52 pm 
Digital Baby Troll

Today I was at my parents house helping them out and my friend whom I sold my old 1990 Taurus SHO to came over to say hi. The SHO was my old sleeper to embarrass the hell out of Civics and most other rice burners, the thing runs with stock Audi S4's without much of a problem. I had my Mirage over there so I asked him if he wanted to run old vs. new...ish. A little back ground on the SHO motor for those who don't really know about them... well to say the least its probably the most empressive engine I've come across in a stock baseline car. The motor was produced by Yamaha and is a DOHC V6 which from the factory redlines at 7,200rpm. Needless to say I really do miss that car. He agreed to the race to compare them and honestly I thought I was going to get smoked. The SHO, like my car, is pretty much stock. My car is a 4G61T Mirage with a highflow cat, thats it.

We decided to run from 40mph so there wouldn't be as much wear on the clutches or tires. I ran up the stats in my head when we were both pulling at 40 next to each other waiting for him to do the three honk go. The biggest advantage I saw that he has is his car will pull from 40-68mph in second gear, I have to shift from second to third in that time. My advantage is a turbo, since we're running at over a mile high. The horn is honked and we both get on it, let me just say that the SHO sounds like a symphony when your next to it. When I had to kick from 2-3 I decided opposed to power shifting and risking blowing the tranny I'll try my luck at a fast double clutch and a slight slip into third to keep the boost up, success, he did not gain any ground on me during the shift. The whole time we've been running dead even, neither of us gaining ground on the other. When he kicked 3rd gear is when I hit 4th, I did gain a little ground on him there but other than that the run to 90mph was dead even. Needless to say I am very, VERY impressed with how well the Mirage did, though if we were at sea level or ran over 90 I'm pretty sure he would have had me in the end.

I'm glad my Mirage will keep up with my old car, at least I know I didn't down-grade. :D

72 Dodge-Pedo'van

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:29 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

coming from another X SHO owner. there really nice car's and TQ'y as hell. but they dont compare in any way to a audi S4... thats like a civic owner comparing the two. S4's are factory 14 flat's. where as our SHO's with a mtx, with a good driver, and a really good condition car are like a 15 flat.

i still miss my sho though. it was alot of fun. only issue it ever gave me, was i replacing the starter 2-3 times a year! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:11 am 
Digital Baby Troll

The S4's would pull on her but she did get their attention, it was just the best comparison of power I could think of at the time. And I do share your pain in the starter problem, and clutches. But the SHO would stilled pull pretty hard on my 240sx with a built N/A ka24 motor, so I was just happy to see the Mirage keeping up.

72 Dodge-Pedo'van