4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 9:19 pm 
Nobody Important

the FilterDongle(tm) works great. I have all '91 parts in my car save for the '89 turbo cluster. All my gauges work perfectly.

Just gotta get off my arse and write up some sort of howto. (If I had a camera I would have just taken a boatload of pictures when I did it)

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:29 am 

hmm, thanks alot, out of my research 91 harness will plug into the shell, im gona try it, and i dont see how the tach woulnt work, almost positive itl work, if i use evrything form the same year.

Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:50 am 
Nobody Important

Now with all this harness talk, we need to be specific on which harness we are talking about.

Front bumper harness (includes fuseblock both under the hood and in the car)

Engine harness (runs engine management, this one plugs into the ecu)

Chassis harness (I'm calling this one pretty much anything that is NOT the above 2. Engine harness and Chassis harness hook together to make gauges work etc. This is the one behind the dash among other places)

Ok now that we have some names down, the degree of plug-and-playability depends on what you have.

a 91 engine wiring harness will: (as per my experience)
- NOT plug at all into a C/S/M chassis harness
- NOT plug 100% right into the front bumper harness
- WILL plug nicely into a '91 engine (duh).
- NOT drive the 3g C/S/M tach. (You need the filter from an '90 DSM coil pack)

My engine was from a gvr4 so I didnt get the true plug and play version which is:
'89 Turbo C/S/M engine harness
3G Chassis Harness
'90 DSM 4g63t

All of those play nice AND your tach works.

With enough solder though, anything can work ;)

-paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:22 pm 

ok , let me clear the harness stuff.
Its a 89 Mirage turbo shell, it has the front harnes for the alt,lights and all that, it doesnt have the ECU (engine) harness that goes form ECU to the fuse box underneath the hood. I have been told a harness form 91 eclipse,dsm... will plug in, evrything will work, as long as I keep evrything from 91 such as, tb+sensors,coil pack,transistors,ecu,cas.

Your sayin a 91 "ecu"/ "engine" harnes form a 91 4g63 won't plug into the mirage ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:27 pm 
Nobody Important

Quote:
ok , let me clear the harness stuff.
Its a 89 Mirage turbo shell, it has the front harnes for the alt,lights and all that, it doesnt have the ECU (engine) harness that goes form ECU to the fuse box underneath the hood. I have been told a harness form 91 eclipse,dsm... will plug in, evrything will work, as long as I keep evrything from 91 such as, tb+sensors,coil pack,transistors,ecu,cas.

Your sayin a 91 "ecu"/ "engine" harnes form a 91 4g63 won't plug into the mirage ?
IF you keep your engine, ecu and engine harness all '91, then you are almost there. That is what I'm running right now.

You WILL need the tach filter to get a working tach. The C/S/M cluster does not understand the signal from the '91+ coil pack. I suggest hooking it up to the engine with it out of the car if possible. It just makes it that much easier to get those stupid 4 bolts out. (But it is not too nasty if it is in the car, that is how I did mine)

Now, I am not sure but I think I have a GVR4 engine harness, so YMMV. Assuming it is the same thing it will NOT plug into the chassis harness AT ALL. You will need to do plenty of work to get it all happy. 95% of the wires mate up color for color though so it just is a PITA. You will need to run a line from the relay box thing (MPI relay?) to a plug up under the hood fusebox. This is right out of the howto here on the forum.

I did all of my wires with those little blue vampire taps first, then after I finally got everything working I spent a day with the solder + heat shrink to clean it all up.

One more important thing. The harness I have does not fit quite right(again, YMMV). All the wire lengths are a little bit long or short. Nothing too bad (all in the HOWTO). The one thing that I dont remember if it is in the howto or not is that the lenght of wire on the ECU harness between the firewall rubber-duckie and the ECU plugs is not long enough to reach the stock C/S/M location very easily. Since I pulled out my A/C, I just used that hole to route my ECU harness through. That took up some of the extra slack in the engine bay while giving me a little more play under the dash. It is still pulled pretty dang tight but at least it does reach.

In hindsight, I should have just relocated the ECU. Although I'm not really sure where I would have put it.

questions?

-paul