4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:53 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hey guys i just got a bone stock Eagle Summit ES Hatchback Automatic 1.5L 100k miles and was wondering what kind of mods can i do to it being stock? I want to change the exhaust up for sure but not sure which route to take with that like i want a nice deep sound not raspy or ricey and is there a place i can buy clear corner and turn signal lights?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:56 am 

Hello,
you can mod the existing engine or swap in larger and turbocharged engines. Do you have the 12 valve or 8 valve engine?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:26 pm 
The Silent Administrator

1/8" upsize in exhaust tubing. Straight thru or chambered super turbo muffler reported to flow like a straight pipe. Keep a resonator in the system and or install a helmholtz resonator if you get drone at a particular frequency.

This motor setup won't sound all that amazing with a change in the muffler/exhaust system, because of the way the motor sounds. Just the way it is.

You can do a smoother intake snorkel that gets fresh air from the fender area, but it won't be worth much in terms of gains as the motor really doesn't draw in that much air due to sizing and total rpm.

There is a TB swap and some other mods but they have to be done as a system to make it really work or you WILL run into problems.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:02 am 

I run a slightly larger exhaust (1.75 inches) from the cat. Stock is 1.5". Didn't notice anything bad regarding torque down low. In fact it seems to run more efficient. But the change in diameter is so slight it doesn't have much impact. Maybe 2.0" are okay?

I swapped the restrictive stock MAF with a C68 Lancer GTi MAF which I guess is equivalent to a 1G non-turbo DSM MAF. I have an EPROM ECU, changed to MAF calibration tables to the GTi MAF and it ran like stock... In fact it idled much better and runs smoother. It sounded much different, louder, smoother, as even my wife noticed immediately. Judging from the logs I freed up a bit of airflow above 5000 rpm.
I have yet to measure airflow with the larger TB.

With a modified EPROM all issues with these modifications are a thing of the past. As a bonus my heavily modified the AFR and ignition tables yield more power and torque overall, resulting in a much better fuel economy. I consistently get about 5.8 liters/100 km which is apx. 40.5 mpg.

But european CSMs do have knock sensors so I can run on the edge of knock and don't have to worry about destroying the engine.

As for clear indicators you'll have to improvise. You can "bake" the indicators which softens the glue. That way you can open them up and remove the yellow plastic lense.
If you're into more "exotic" stuff you can run euro turn indicators which are completely yellow. They look like this: https://www.ebay.de/itm/DEPO-Blinkleuch ... 4189429373
I do have a spare set of those that I don't need anymore in case you like them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:03 am 
The Silent Administrator

Glad to hear that there are some things that can still be put into the mix of modifications, that actually work!

There was very little in the way of actual bolt on mods that required no chip setting alterations, as nearly nobody here has that ability to follow through on. You are the exception, GTiProll.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:58 pm 

Thank you for the praise. I'm afraid diving deeper into this will derail this thread. Should I open a new thread regarding chip mods?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:37 pm 
The Silent Administrator

It would be a great idea to start a good old chip tuning thread.

Been too quiet around here in terms of development on the custom front as applicable to 4g15 hardware.