4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: '88 Colt DL tranny noise
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:25 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Hello,

My '88 Colt DL sounds really rough when the clutch is engaged, only during acceleration and deceleration. Its a dull grinding noise, not very audible until gears 4 and 5.

It has nearly 200k miles on it, and the clutch was recently replaced (1-2 years ago).

I've read it could maybe be an input shaft bearing, and I don't think it could be a throw out bearing. Can't smell anything either.

Thanks for the help

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:28 am 
The Silent Administrator

Input bearing noise I diagnosed on the W5M in the 2006 Lancer that a coworker has, only goes away when the car is idling, and he steps on the clutch pedal and the input shaft/bearing is no longer rotating. Release clutch and noise is back with a vengeance. It makes a nasty whirring/grinding noise when accelerating in all gears.

Check out this link for transmission related noises and the other imbedded link for clutch noises:

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/Manu ... d-Symptoms

You may need a bearing rebuild, and more before it gets worse. You got great mileage out of the first set. A used trans may cost less than a rebuild with labor, so consider the options if someone has one laying around that isn't full of noise, or wasn't before being parked and or parted out. My coworker was quoted $500-900 CDN for the bearing replacements and reshimming the case (assuming they would even do that!). You never know if you don't ask, and get the spec before and after!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:40 am 
Restricted Newbie

Hmm. How loud is the noise on the lancer? Its pretty unnoticeable for me while accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears. Can't really hear it unless windows are up, radio is quiet, and Im cruising in 3rd 4th or 5th below 2500 rpm

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:31 am 
The Silent Administrator

Very loud. Like something almost knocking in the motor and it got worse in a short period of time.
Trans started leaking fluid due to the excessive bearing play, and the coworker sold the car cheap. This was yesterday.