4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:22 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

Well I was hoping to get in the high 11s before the end of this season but I guess is not going to happen since I'm still running open diff and I don't want to blew another differential, best trap speed so far 118mph, my best ET for this year 12.26@115 with a 1.9 60ft, so goal for next year get into 11s, but now which LSD options would you recommend for my Colt? She is pushing right now 400whp/tq, I was looking at the Quaife, Kaaz or OBX options but they only list LSDs for AWD s or late f5m33s but not for the early ones, I was thinking that maybe an AWD would work but I'm not too sure about that, also considering the LSD insert by Phantom Grip or FF dynamics but I would like to get opinions, my car is a DD so welded diff is not an option...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:25 am 
Some call me a god

I'm in the same boat, looking for a LSD as well.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:11 am 
The Silent Administrator

Read my build thread for info on the Quaife, AWD front diff used in the F5M33 FWD DSM transmission.

Any FWD transmission can use the AWD diff with smaller bearing seats, you just have to change to ball and cage bearings, with appropriate shim stacks behind the bearing that goes in the lower case half BEFORE you install the lower ball and cage bearing to the diff housing. You also have to get the appropriate speedo ring gear to match your speed output.
If you are using a FWD DSM transmission, then you can use the model I am using, to match 25 spline 1990-1992.5 FWD DSM axles, or the Colt/Mirage turbo axles, which are also the 25 spline.

Quaife QDH8BF

Quaife carries a lifetime warranty, transferable from what I recall.

Quaife is an automatic torque biasing style (gears using stock fluids for lubrication) that is the best option for any use, BUT it will not lock when 100% wheel slippage is achieved on one side of diff/axle. You get torque split/bias otherwise and it will give you an amazing road feel, especially in corners.

Other style diffs may give you a solid lock function or very limited slip depending upon clutch pack stacks and the options you choose for accel and decel characteristics (the money diffs, BIG money, like Cusco and others).

Solid lock side to side on a FWD is asking for trouble in anything other than a straight line. IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:19 am 
The Silent Administrator

QDH8B

What I posted at galantvr4.org
Click for thread

I have part numbers in pic form to show what parts were needed for bearings, shims etc. I did need more shims or a different size in a few spots but the trans guy "made" some with a little sanding of shims that were close.

VFAQ FWD DSM Quaife install - same thing as KM210 for anyone using that transmission

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:05 pm 

Thanks for the input Tim, very interesting now you cleared some of my doubts...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:30 pm 

I've ran a phantom grip in my car for the last couple years now. It's obviously not as good as a Quaife, KAAZ, or Cusco, but for $100 or so it's definitely a huge improvement. Never had any issues and has held up to a ton of abuse. Leaves two solid patches through 4th just to let you know it's working

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:07 pm 

Quote:
I've ran a phantom grip in my car for the last couple years now. It's obviously not as good as a Quaife, KAAZ, or Cusco, but for $100 or so it's definitely a huge improvement. Never had any issues and has held up to a ton of abuse. Leaves two solid patches through 4th just to let you know it's working
Your 11.3@137 also tells me that you have some good ft/lbs of torque right? So that means has been holding good so far, which 60ft do you usually get with the phantom grip?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:05 am 

The car made 620/470 last year and it's been holding up fine. Most of the abuse the car takes is on the street with et streets which are definitely harder on the drivetrain than slicks. At a shitty track with slicks I've cut a 1.65 60' before.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:16 pm 
Some call me a god

It is very easy to switch out the differential Irving to the smaller axle differential. I did this for the transmission in the Cordia. I highly recommend you invest in either a KAAZ or Quaife. The phantom grip is a huge waste and will just lead to another broken differential. We broke it once we started making real power in Jason's car and we also broke it in the land speed car. Both ultimately ended up with a welded differential. As you know those are track only cars though. With that said I had a KAAZ in my first Mirage and loved it. Worked exactly like is was suppose to and very predictable. I just could not spend $1000 again. So we welded mine too.