4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: HotBits Suspension
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:34 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I am in need of a Canadian member with a C50 hatcback ... or maybe even the C60 sedan, to take the car in to the following location:

HOT BITS Sports Suspensions Inc
334, Rutherford Rd. S. Unit 4 Brampton
Ontario L6W3P5
Canada
Mobile: +1 6474018030
Tel: +1 905 458 1318
Fax: +1 905 458 8963
Email : peter@hotbits.ca

I have communicated with Peter and it would be best to get a car down to him for testing purposes. He removes the wheels and measures things up, likely that is all. We have a basic suspension design with no shared mounts to the sway bars.
He has to check clearances for canister placements, depending upon the application ordered and or designed to meet this chassis setup. They do rally/race/drag/drift setups ... we don't drift so don't get your hopes up! :wink:

We need any Colt/Mirage with stock struts in place, front and back. The springs that are installed, might not make any difference. Heck even if you had the stock struts off the car, and brought the car in. I am trying to think of any and all possible variables to make this work.

They have many options for builds, not the least of which is their top of the line offerings (DT1/DT2) or stock replacements and springs with lowered ride heights <- would be more of an issue getting springs rates changed versus their 60mm racing springs that come on the coil-overs and DT1/DT2.

So, long story short, who has a car available and could be put in contact with Peter to see if we can get something going?

Post subject: Re: HotBits Suspension
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:29 pm 
Some call me a god

If I was local I would donate a car in a second.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:01 pm 
CSM Junkie

I was under the impression that HotBits already made something for the c53 chassis?

http://www.hotbits.org/catalogues-detai ... kitsid=245

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:51 pm 
The Silent Administrator

That is what I am hoping they will come back and tell me.

Then all the technical data and parts listings will be available to the Canadian/American parts builders/suppliers and then something can happen in short order.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:44 pm 

Know how long would they need the car for?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:29 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Should be around 1 hour. It's roughly speaking a wheel removal and measurement time. This is from anecdotal information, but I can always ask directly too.

I am trying my best to confirm that the application hasn't already been built up, so that if it was already designed, we wouldn't need this process at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:41 pm 
CSM Junkie

Let us know what happens with all this. It is very likely I will buy a set of these this winter and I want to make sure everything is good. They have brake line brackets on their coilovers typically too, right?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:28 am 

I have stock DSM suspension in the rear and CSM Struts w cut DSM springs up front. If I qualify I may be able to drive it up a little later in the season. The car mostly sits in the garage anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:04 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Quote:
Let us know what happens with all this. It is very likely I will buy a set of these this winter and I want to make sure everything is good. They have brake line brackets on their coilovers typically too, right?
That I would have to confirm. They only have generic product line pictures up on the site. If I had a google image of a product number ....
Quote:
I have stock DSM suspension in the rear and CSM Struts w cut DSM springs up front. If I qualify I may be able to drive it up a little later in the season. The car mostly sits in the garage anyway.
That would work. I could also loan you a stock new GR2 with BG drop spring equipped strut assembly from my car to facilitate any off car measurements. I could do the same with a front strut also ...

Many options. I think I need to contact the HotBits guy and get some more info.

*** Mental notes ***

Suspension travel - not enough
Confirm brake line mounting points and orientation
Figure out if stock upper strut mounts will work with the top of the piston rod on the new struts or coilovers.
Talk options for caster/camber with pillowball mounting solutions.
Can front upper pillow ball mounts be rotated 90 degreesto allow caster change, versus camber changes?
Can both caster and camber be achieved (with a special plate assembly) or will that require cutting and bracing the upper strut mount area due to complexity and size?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:15 pm 
CSM Junkie

Any updates?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:44 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Not as of yet. Backlogged with radiator fan details.

I have had no response from the Asian side of the picture, with direct emails to them to get the ball rolling.

I will have to speak directly with Peter/Larry about this, about the only solution to start something.

Research tells me that street guys are going to want to stay away from "rally" suspension due to valving meant to survive large bumpers at very high speeds; not pleasant from a GVR4 member telling of his suspension, and on a heavy car at that. He tried every spring combo out there. DMs recommend a stiffer spring for DSM's doing rally, but otherwise rally cars are supposed to have a softer spring setup overall. The plot thickens as I look into the rally sites and see what is being used and how it performs. This is a mainly street forum, so that is the main angle I am looking to accomodate.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:15 am 
The Silent Administrator

Sorry for a lack of updates on this.

My request for a vehicle travelling to Toronto still stands, as I don't think my Colt will be up and running when I head down to Toronto later in October.

Too many projects related to the house to allow for much time on the car.

Baseboard heater in the garage, lighting that still have yet to arrive from Arizona (also for the garage), fans to wire up in the Colt, etc, etc. Life keeps on rolling ....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:19 am 
CSM Junkie

Thanks for keeping us updated. Winter is right around the corner and I have a budget set to buy a nice full body coilover so I will be checking in often to see how this goes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:30 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I was mulling over the Hotbits main site and they actually make suspension for all of our cars already for the front. The setup pictured is on a C10 which makes me stupid exited that there is suspension bits for the rear of my car. Now to convert the currency over and see if its available.

http://hotbits.com.my/catalogues-detail ... kitsid=246

How come they can't just order the fronts and just measure up the rears for you guys?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:14 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I haven't gone past the initial email to the Canadian contact, Peter, and a couple emails to headquarters in Malaysia.

Instant response from Peter (with all details require to measure and test for fitment), no response from Malaysia.

IF stuff is already developed and Peter can confirm it (I imagine so much easier for him if it is there in his shop, but very doable with measurements), then it is much easier to deal with.

There is another thread for exact detail and related banter, located in general or tech section.