4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:23 am 
Some call me a god

Quote:

Do you remember year make and model of the seal?
Search for a post by coltsfan. I believe these are seals for a early 90 sonata.

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

Last edited by j2dapo on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:06 pm 

On a factory turbo mirage with elantra control arms a 1990 eclipse awd manual transmission cv axle fits the factory hub seal and bolts in without further modification. This is with a fairly new axle and hub seal. It does not bind and I can turn the wheel by hand with some minimal resistance. The inner part of the hub seal measures 51mms the axle measures 54mm. I could nearly push it in with my hands but it did take a couple turns on the axle nut for it to slife in place. This axle gave a lot better clearance between the ball joint nut and the axle assembly too. The factory cv axle was too close for comfort. Ad far as pop out of axle, I will drive a couple days and see.

Do non turbo csms use a different hub and seal? If so maybe switching to a turbo seal would make things easier when running this conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:38 pm 
Some call me a god

LMSTFY
Quote:
Also, use the Sonata inner seals. People don't notice this either, but the opening in the DSM seal is much larger than the CSM c/v joint.
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 82#p263941

[EDIT], this is backwards; and if you are using the bigger wagon/gvr4/dsm knuckles with the CSM axles.

If you wanted to use DSM axles and the stock CSM knuckle you'd need DSM inner seals on the CSM knuckle. Whether the DSM inner seal fits the CSM knuckle is a good question.

This is all pretty contradictory... Are the DSM and CSM turbo axles the same circumference when it comes to the hub seal...? Any one want to verify?

I would like to know as I have elantra arms, wagon hubs, and DSM axles in the parts bin. The Elantra arms are better because the balljoints are more replaceable. IMHO

94 Audi s4 - sold
88 Eagle Vista Turbo LX sedan, RIP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:44 pm 

Quote:
LMSTFY
Quote:
Also, use the Sonata inner seals. People don't notice this either, but the opening in the DSM seal is much larger than the CSM c/v joint.
http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 82#p263941

[EDIT], this is backwards; and if you are using the bigger wagon/gvr4/dsm knuckles with the CSM axles.

If you wanted to use DSM axles and the stock CSM knuckle you'd need DSM inner seals on the CSM knuckle. Whether the DSM inner seal fits the CSM knuckle is a good question.

This is all pretty contradictory... Are the DSM and CSM turbo axles the same circumference when it comes to the hub seal...? Any one want to verify?

I would like to know as I have elantra arms, wagon hubs, and DSM axles in the parts bin. The Elantra arms are better because the balljoints are more replaceable. IMHO
Just installed dsm passenger axle into factory turbo knuckles and seals with no modification besides elantra lca's.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:35 pm 
Some call me a god

I'm running the Hyundai control arms, expo knuckles, 1g hubs and 1g dsm axles. With the Hyundai control arms my csm axles would not stay in the trans.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:01 am 

So 1G dsm axles are the solution for using Elantra control arms ? Its too bad there aren't comprehensive recipes that are reliable for swapping CSMS, If you own a honda I swear there are detailed "swap recipes" and even books written devoted to the subject, those Honda guys have it too easy, how do they ever learn without beating their head against a Mitsubishi hybrid ??!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:53 am 
The happy administrator

Quote:
So 1G dsm axles are the solution for using Elantra control arms ? Its too bad there aren't comprehensive recipes that are reliable for swapping CSMS, If you own a honda I swear there are detailed "swap recipes" and even books written devoted to the subject, those Honda guys have it too easy, how do they ever learn without beating their head against a Mitsubishi hybrid ??!!

It's in the tech archives somewhere. Dsm axles are a little longer, elantra control arms are a little longer, 2+2=4. I think the last "big news" for CSM's was the expo brake upgrade.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd