4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:52 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I've been contemplating turning my power steering into a manual setup, possibly via the method in this 240SX thread. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/howtoo ... grack.html I figure as light as these cars are it shouldn't be too bad with manual steering.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this and how did it steer afterwards. Also, does anyone know if a different car or steering rack that has a tighter ratio than a turbo CSM factory one will fit in a '89 CSM? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:41 am 
The Silent Administrator

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36269&p=291814&hilit=rack#p291814

I don't recommend a manual rack, as it came stock.

Doing what Remy did, however, makes sense on two fronts; safety and maintaining your lower turning ratio (input for wheel movement).

I would not use this on a vehicle that got daily use, low speed traffic and parking lots.

I know you have a major commute Shawn IIRC, so less of an issue, but it will require more effort all around.

The 4g cars are rumored to have the same ratio, as the 89 turbo models. Better solution, as compared to tearing apart a turbo rack with no recourse in the end.

Search my username, I believe I compared the racks in a post about a month back.

I just looked back and saw you wondering about a turning ratio, or a better option with an even lower ratio than the 1989 turbo/4g.

Might I suggest a steering quickener? Rally guys and many race cars are setup that way. Just an inline set of gears that will be available in any

combination you can think of. I'm not sure how that affects feel well off center, as most racks are progressive due to the gear fingers action

.... or maybe I'm wrong. I don't want to send anyone off the road so to speak, but it is a bit of technology worth looking into if easily sourced

alternate racks are not a viable option.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:22 pm 

Great info! Thanks. I saw the thread from a month ago about converting manual to power but didn't think much about it since it was opposite of what I want to do. A steering quickener would be interesting for sure but probably more than what I'm looking for. Basically I just wanted to free up space under the hood and less parasitic hp loss. I've driven my Talon with the ps belt pulled before back when I was racing it. It only sucked for parking and I've read where a proper manual steering setup is much easier than a ps setup with the belt removed. Plus the Colt weighs almost 1000lbs less than my Talon. I figure it can't steer that bad. Haha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am 
Some call me a god

I just removed all of the related parts and looped the lines, been driving and racing like this for a couple years now. I know it's not ideal but I keep a close eye on it and nothing has changed in terms of play or feel. I do have a non-turbo manual rack waiting to in if this one causes problems. The car is fine drivablility and parking wise, no complaints.

07 ZX6R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:54 am 

That's probably a good idea to at least try before I ruin a factory rack. :D Then if I feel I want more I can go beyond the point of no return.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:30 am 

An alternate to a steering quickener would be to cut the hub where the outer tie rods mount. Then move them in something like 1/4" and reweld them in place. That will quicken the ratio. That mod is done on 240sx's a lot, but they move the points in 1/2" for maximum quickness and steering angle. I have been strongly considering this on my car since it has a factory non power rack, and I do not want to convert it to power.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:36 pm 

I went ahead and removed all the ps parts today and looped the lines on the rack. For the pinion valve I cut the lines off and pinched the end in a vise to crimp them shut. It steers pretty well I'd say. It was kind of a pain to do though but luckily all the lines broke loose fairly easy. I dropped the downpipe and front/rear engine mount cross member to get better access to the rack.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:11 am 
Some call me a god

Yeah, when I did mine the engine was out :P I was thinking it would be a good idea to check and change my steering fluid and possibly replace it with something a little better. I haven't changed the fluid since looping the lines. You got me thinking about it and it should be done.

07 ZX6R