4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:12 am 
The Silent Administrator

Ebay has recently had some OBX ATB type gears listed for 3000/Stealth transmissions, but nothing showing for DSM AWD 90-99 like our KM210's and F5M33 which require a new style bearing (x2), shims for the diff side of the bearings and or case side shims(!!) and a new speedo gear. OBX's sometimes show up with speedo gears installed, at least for 3SI FWD's they do.

Compare to the Quaife. Only difference I can see would be the lack of lifetime warranty.
Just a thought if anyone wants an LSD on a budget.
Regular gear oils for your trans are all that's needed.

You would need to heed some warnings about parts installation.
When you install the bearings (AWD smaller inner diameter fitting, ball and cage type), you must shim under the bearings before they are installed. So, buying a third bearing (identical bearing) may be advisable to hone out the center area just enough that it can be slipped onto the diff without side to side wobble (not detectable), and then set your distance to get the final drive lined up. Add shims, double check and you now have your shims for the diff portion as it sits in your case half with the final drive.
I installed my bearings, hastily apparently, and now have to figure out how to get enough outer case bearing shims, to make up the differences.

Learn from my mistake and check out this option for getting fun in the twisties. I have since purchased 3x more bearings just in case. They can be sourced from local bearing suppliers with the part numbers. Doesn't have to be OEM, but if you want the stuff from the OEM bags, you will get a KOYO

EDIT I removed the link because it had a FWD 3000GT/Stealth diff listed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:35 am 
Some call me a god

You sure this will fit in a DSM transmission? The link is for a diff for a FWD Stealth/3KGT...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:50 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

How many splines does it have?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:21 am 
Some call me a god

The spline count for the CVs will be important, but there are other factors that determine whether it will fit in a DSM trans or not. The Stealths/3KGTs came with v6s and as such should have more robust transmissions.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:10 pm 
The Silent Administrator

ACK, I think I jumped the gun on this.

The AWD DSM front diff is the one that is needed.

Must be a spline and dimensions match to this one:

The one I bought.
QDH8B
https://www.rtmracing.com/xcart/product ... t=0&page=1

Likely the same part #
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/colle ... t-diff-awd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:28 pm 
Some call me a god

Jumped the shark! Good job Tim!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:31 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Yes, match up the diff's what was written here and it's golden:

http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... e&start=15

AWD DSM's were all 25 splines from 90-99, 1G and 2G.

FWD DSM at 92.5-94 were 27 spline.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:27 am 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

According to what i know splines on F5m33s from 3/S are like the splines on DSM F5m33s from 93-Up, so it would fit without problems...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 pm 

Quote:
Ebay has recently had some OBX ATB type gears listed for 3000/Stealth transmissions, but nothing showing for DSM AWD 90-99 like our KM210's and F5M33 which require a new style bearing (x2), shims for the diff side of the bearings and or case side shims(!!) and a new speedo gear. OBX's sometimes show up with speedo gears installed, at least for 3SI FWD's they do.

Compare to the Quaife. Only difference I can see would be the lack of lifetime warranty.
Just a thought if anyone wants an LSD on a budget.
Regular gear oils for your trans are all that's needed.

You would need to heed some warnings about parts installation.
When you install the bearings (AWD smaller inner diameter fitting, ball and cage type), you must shim under the bearings before they are installed. So, buying a third bearing (identical bearing) may be advisable to hone out the center area just enough that it can be slipped onto the diff without side to side wobble (not detectable), and then set your distance to get the final drive lined up. Add shims, double check and you now have your shims for the diff portion as it sits in your case half with the final drive.
I installed my bearings, hastily apparently, and now have to figure out how to get enough outer case bearing shims, to make up the differences.

Learn from my mistake and check out this option for getting fun in the twisties. I have since purchased 3x more bearings just in case. They can be sourced from local bearing suppliers with the part numbers. Doesn't have to be OEM, but if you want the stuff from the OEM bags, you will get a KOYO

EDIT I removed the link because it had a FWD 3000GT/Stealth diff listed.

As opposed to buying the third bearing, double your investment costs but get one if these:

http://www.gradeatools.com/mobile/produ ... 2D0030%2Da

This is what we use to set shim specs. No extra bearings, no solder. Measure and get your clearances.