4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:23 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

I am looking into the option of this. Done quite a bit of research only to come up with mixed info everywhere. My question is if anyone here has done this or is running this? If so the AWD trans has to have the center diff welded, and you can have the VC removed and the output shaft out as well. Does the welded center diff make it more difficult to drive in FWD mode? or would that only affect the cars that are still AWD? would it be worth it to put a quaife lsd in the trans? Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 pm 

im running a auto awd trans with welded center diff for my fwd car.. I havent had any issues at all.. and didnt notice any difference between it and the fwd trans that was in it before... only time u will notice it is when u go awd..tires will chirp when making sharp turns...but thats only when u go awd..

and I left the shaft in.. just make sure it has the clip on it to keep it in place.

Steve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:51 pm 
2nd Banana

Quote:
I am looking into the option of this. Done quite a bit of research only to come up with mixed info everywhere. My question is if anyone here has done this or is running this? If so the AWD trans has to have the center diff welded, and you can have the VC removed and the output shaft out as well. Does the welded center diff make it more difficult to drive in FWD mode? or would that only affect the cars that are still AWD? would it be worth it to put a quaife lsd in the trans? Thanks for the info!
I have ran my AWD trans in FWD mode using a VC eliminator. It seriously sucks. You haven't experienced wheelspin until you've tried this. The shorter final-drive ratio in the AWD trans makes it a lot worse, but if your car isn't making a ton of power it could make it more fun.

To answer your questions though:

You would have to either weld the center diff, install a spool, or use a VC eliminator. It doesn't make the car more difficult to drive; because the front diff isn't effected, you just get more wheelspin because of the shorter final-drive ratio.

As far as a Quaife goes, you'll just spin both tires instead of one, but it would definitely improve handling. My car has a Quaife front diff, and I was getting 3rd-gear wheelspin at half throttle once it came up on boost, and torque-steer definitely still exists with an LSD and equal-length half shafts. Granted, my car was at 511whp with this setup.

Hope that helps.

http://www.facebook.com/captaintonus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 pm 
Some call me a god

I have a TRE spool that I'm not using if you prefer to go that route. I used it for a summer to run my W5M33 in FWD mode, but removed it and put my center diff back in a few months after I got my AWD conversion finished.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:59 pm 

Thanks for all the info! That is the answers that I am looking for. I have 2 options right now.
1. Rebuild my FWD tranny myself and hope the intermediate shaft lines up correctly without binding again.
2. Pick up the shep stage 4 AWD tranny and just use it fwd. The inter shaft should line up with this for sure.

I guess first I need the moneys!

Thanks again for clearing that up!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:52 pm 
The Silent Administrator

I was just over at HPAuto who are pretty local to me, but over on the Quebec side. 1lowcolt runs the shop, and had some advice for me; he never broke a transmission while he was running modified Colts. He had an AWD trans with a VC/lock to operate in front drive mode. He also loved the EVO3 5th gear upgrade to drop the RPM on the highway. He's owned well over 10 Colts and the last one I remember was caged and 600+ HP with a half cemented block. Got some advice on how to get my Quaife installed. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:19 pm 

Nice! That is kinda the route that I am thinking I will be going. I want it to be fun to drive, not tons of HP, but still be able to cruise in it. What clutch combo are you using? I am thinking I might try to find a stock flywheel for the AWD and I have heard some good things about the southbend clutch setups.
Biggest issue will be trying to convince the wife that I need to spend the money on it! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Check out my members thread: http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12968

I list all the clutch and flywheel parts there.
Installed to a stock type KM210 FWD trans, but will now be going inside an F5M33 FWD DSM trans with a Quaife.

Essentially the new ACT2100 with an 8.2lb aluminum flywheel.

Hindsight, I would like to install an SFI approved harmonic dampener pulley (ATI/Fluidamper) or go and possibly go back to a stock weight flywheel setup.
Adding weight to the 8.2lb flywheel and rotating mass, or ditching the flywheel and getting the heavier flywheel.

Heavy flywheel and balance shafts (read this article by Jack's Transmission on keeping Balance Shafts for improved transmission life and high RPM shifting http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages ... nce-shafts) can help keep your transmission from making crazing noises on accel/decel, as well as help stabilize idle due to crank wip effect.
Things will last a lot longer, with fewer noises.

I love the speed at which you can shift when racing around, with a lightweight flywheel and even using a full face clutch, but would like a softer pedal (for the forces applied to the crank thrust bearing!) and might not notice shifting issues with a heavier flywheel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:29 pm 

Quote:
Check out my members thread: http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12968

I list all the clutch and flywheel parts there.
Installed to a stock type KM210 FWD trans, but will now be going inside an F5M33 FWD DSM trans with a Quaife.

Essentially the new ACT2100 with an 8.2lb aluminum flywheel.

Hindsight, I would like to install an SFI approved harmonic dampener pulley (ATI/Fluidamper) or go and possibly go back to a stock weight flywheel setup.
Adding weight to the 8.2lb flywheel and rotating mass, or ditching the flywheel and getting the heavier flywheel.

Heavy flywheel and balance shafts (read this article by Jack's Transmission on keeping Balance Shafts for improved transmission life and high RPM shifting http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages ... nce-shafts) can help keep your transmission from making crazing noises on accel/decel, as well as help stabilize idle due to crank wip effect.
Things will last a lot longer, with fewer noises.

I love the speed at which you can shift when racing around, with a lightweight flywheel and even using a full face clutch, but would like a softer pedal (for the forces applied to the crank thrust bearing!) and might not notice shifting issues with a heavier flywheel.
Jack needs to not write tech articles that show how little he actually knows.

On the AWD trans useage, I currently have on in the swapped C52a I just picked up. The main reason I did this is to avoi using the weak FWD output shaft. I have piles of them from DSM fwd guys who were making power (or too bullheaded to back off if the throttle when they start getting wheel hop).

I just welded both diffs and welded the transfer case output shaft hole closed. I'll probably change the welded front diff back out for an LSD version in the near future as I'm less interested in just driving this car in straight lines.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:05 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Good to know!

Thanks for posting.