4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 pm 
Restricted Newbie

I've been tracking down a lot of underhood connectors for DSMs. I've had a lot of luck with sourcing connectors that no one else seems to have in stock or are willing to buy. MAFs, ignitors, CAS, OEM injector terminals, etc. I passed this to JNZ Tuning and they are now selling many of these parts.

I know that many of the DSM connectors are common with the CSMs. But it has been a few years since I last worked on a turbo colt(and it was a 4g63 conversion), so I don't know what connectors the CSM needs. Is there any good info on what connectors are used or needed on these, with pics so I can ID the connectors? I might be able to help ID a few more. Or if there are any particular connectors that are problems on these cars, let me know.

Thanks,
Brad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:23 am 

the 4g61t harness is the same as the 90 dsm harness minus the knock sensor wire.. so they use all the same connectors as a 90 dsm.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:57 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Hard connectors to duplicate are:
4 pin connector on the coil packs for the wiring that is held at the tab where the harness plugs in
Reverse switch connector (others are similar or can have a piece filed down, on the DSM connectors, but it will not have the retainer tab.

Most frequent connectors to have to play with are:

Wiper motor pump connectors - 2 connectors (for hatch, 1 for sedan), 2 terminals in each connector, female spade style with proper tab area for retension into the connector so as to not back out when pushed into place.

Starter motor solenoid signal connector - 1 terminal female spade style possibly with a positive retainer function.

Transistor connector - 90 style and 91 style - in case any wires turn green or worse, melt a housing - 1991 DSM harness or a spare JDM Cyclone harness was used to pull terminals from, but they are not a perfect match nor is the weather seal fitted properly for replacement because it has to be made smaller to fit the hole

Injector connectors - Denso DSM/EVO/CSM/Hyundai style .... best compromise of late is to simply replace with quick connect style from a Ford Windstar 3.8L?, Dodge Caravan 3.3L?, new pins would be a bonus as to save chopping up the harness, but you will find blackened copper almost up to the turn in the harness as it enters the main tray/trough, wires are now 25 years old!

This is all I had to rewire/rework when my engine recently went back into place. I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of ....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:31 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks, that is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping to get.

I have tracked down several of these connectors, especially the ones that are Mitsubishi brand. They are normally just available in bulk from Asia. I did a few bulk buys on different ones, so that we are getting them available here, and I've put up a website with them. I've also sold them to a few shops like JNZ, Magnus, Extreme PSI.

I am pretty sure I have the coil pack one you are looking for, and the 90 transistor and early DSM injectors. And I have terminals and wire seals for them all. And I am working on the 91 style transistor.

I don't know about the wiper motor or starter solenoid ones. Post up pics, and if its a Mitsubishi connector, I may have it. If it is another brand, I might be able to point people in the direction of where to get them.

Anyhow, here is a link to the connectors I have. I am still in the process of adding parts:

http://connectors.sheridanengineering.com/index-2.htm

And I am putting together kits for different cars:

http://connectors.sheridanengineering.com/index-3.htm

Quote:
Hard connectors to duplicate are:
4 pin connector on the coil packs for the wiring that is held at the tab where the harness plugs in
Reverse switch connector (others are similar or can have a piece filed down, on the DSM connectors, but it will not have the retainer tab.

Most frequent connectors to have to play with are:

Wiper motor pump connectors - 2 connectors (for hatch, 1 for sedan), 2 terminals in each connector, female spade style with proper tab area for retension into the connector so as to not back out when pushed into place.

Starter motor solenoid signal connector - 1 terminal female spade style possibly with a positive retainer function.

Transistor connector - 90 style and 91 style - in case any wires turn green or worse, melt a housing - 1991 DSM harness or a spare JDM Cyclone harness was used to pull terminals from, but they are not a perfect match nor is the weather seal fitted properly for replacement because it has to be made smaller to fit the hole

Injector connectors - Denso DSM/EVO/CSM/Hyundai style .... best compromise of late is to simply replace with quick connect style from a Ford Windstar 3.8L?, Dodge Caravan 3.3L?, new pins would be a bonus as to save chopping up the harness, but you will find blackened copper almost up to the turn in the harness as it enters the main tray/trough, wires are now 25 years old!

This is all I had to rewire/rework when my engine recently went back into place. I'm sure there is more I'm not thinking of ....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:50 am 
The happy administrator

If you'd like to make a post up in the classifieds, we can sticky it for you. Include what you have up for sale along with any feedback you have on other sites to establish yourself.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 am 
The Silent Administrator

I made a mistake on one of the connectors!

It was the washer pump connectors, not wiper motor connector.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:47 pm 
Restricted Newbie

Thanks Mechacode, I will do that.
Quote:
I made a mistake on one of the connectors!

It was the washer pump connectors, not wiper motor connector.
Is it the same as on the DSM? This is the one on the 90 harness images from DSMTuners:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/153372381-post4.html

The black 2 pin connector I have should be the right match. It looks a little different on the terminal lock, but it is the same. Over the years of production, the manufacturer of those connectors has made a few changes on several of the connectors. But they all still plug in identically. A good example of that is the 8 pin MAF connector. It looks totally different with the white terminal lock in the center, vs the older design you would have on your cars. I was getting the older design, then they just switched me over to the new style a few years ago.