4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Drag launch suspension?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:18 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

ok, so I'm not real sure how drag suspensions are best for a FWD. Does one want:
-Hard rear and soft front
or
-Hard rear and hard front

NO Sway bars! from my understanding sway bars are the enemy in drag racing. (And Zeroing your camber would help too I guess)

to get the hardest possible rear, I was thinking: 1G AGX AWD (set on full hard) along with 1G AWD lowering springs
same goes for the hardest front,
and for softer, of course, you want the stock stuff on. The main thing I'm not sure about is if having too stiff of a front suspension would add to or prevent wheel hop at the strip, I'm in the dark on this, any help is good.

(oh, and this setup wouldn't exactly be ideal by any means on the street IMO. I would only be running it at the strip)
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:01 pm 
CSM Expert

AWD AGX's with AWD lowering springs is going to lower the rear of your car over 4 inches I don't think thats the right choice...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:12 pm 
CSM Expert

Ideally, the rear shocks should have stiff compression phase and the fronts should have easy rebound phase, all in the effort to reduce weight transfer to the rear and keep the front wheels in contact with the asphalt. Raising the rear end and/or lowering the front would help too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:26 am 

I've had great luck with Konis in the back and stock up front. This is all I've ever tried but it provides a smooth ride on the street and consistent 1.7 60' times on 22" slicks at the track. But for your setup...

An all-out drag suspension would be coilovers with some experimenting on the settings. The problem with the AWD AGXs IMO is they are a good deal shorter. Ideally you want to jack that rear end up a few inches to plant the weight on the nose and slicks.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:42 am 

soft front, hard rear
lower the front, keep the rear stock or raise it.
Some extreme people weld the rear shocks solid, or use wheelie bars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:56 am 
I'm actually considering going to a similar setup for autocrossing.

I'm going to increase the rear springs to somewhere around 400lbs. I've already removed the rear sway-bar and the car feels more stable now. I'm also going to unhook the front sway-bar to see if I can get more power to the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:17 pm 

hey Jason you might be on to something ! i was looking through an old grassroots magazine and the CSP national champ was helping dial in a suspension on a 2G CRX with ground control coilovers with a much stiffer spring arrangement than stock . they unhooked the front sway bar and picked ~ 3 tenths on a 40 second course , the front tires had much more grip than with the sway bar hooked up . of course relating to drag racing i'm not sure this would make as much of a difference .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:10 pm 
CSM Expert

Quote:
they unhooked the front sway bar and picked ~ 3 tenths on a 40 second course , the front tires had much more grip than with the sway bar hooked up . of course relating to drag racing i'm not sure this would make as much of a difference .
That makes a lot of sense, especially if the car has an open diff. With the sway bar the inside wheel lifts and loses traction-- and tenths.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:14 am 

Hmmm...So its better to have only a rear sway bar then. I've read its best for a FWD to have soft springs in the front and hard in the rear. Same with the sway bars. It is so that the front can have good traction for good handling. I think it applys drag in the same way. $.o2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:14 am 
CSM Expert

There's no way removing the front sway bar would help you on a road course. When the bushing slips on my front sway bar I can tell straight away as the handling goes to sh!t (can anyone say "excessive body-roll"?).

Can someone explain how removing the front sway bar will help on dragstrip? I would have thought that since the sway bar will prevent the drive wheel from lifting relative to the other wheel it would be a good thing. By preventing wheel hop and maintaining even tyre contact pressure...??? I think you'll find that particular theory only applies to RWDs and not FWDs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:56 am 
Removing/Reducing the front swaybar is (may) only going to be beneficial if you can get springs to compensate for the increased body roll. We're talking springrates that are at least three-four times as stiff as stock, maybe even more.
Here's a good write-up, aimed directly at RWD cars, but it helps.

http://www.stealthtdi.com/SwayBars.html

If you're building a drag only car, then a swaybar is just deadmetal... You can use stiff springs to decrease wheel hop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:18 pm 
CSM Expert

Yah, in a pure drag car I can see that. Although I think for a street car occasionally dragraced a good size stiff front sway bar is a good thing since you dont want 600lb springs in a FWD road car.

What I can say and be quite sure of is that wheelie bars help FWDs alot by decreasing front end lift while accelerating which keeps the weight on the front wheels. Magnusmotorsports use them on their 11sec FWD Talon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:28 pm 

Hey Homer...

I'm doing the AGX/GC coil-overs up front. [So I can lower the front]

And the Koni Yellows with B&G springs out back [low, but not as low as the front and ADJUSTABLE]

Hope this helps,

Geoff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:30 pm 
Some call me a god

i will be going with awd agx in the rear, and weld a 2" taller mount on the lower portion, the beam axle to make up the difference in the awd strut length compared to the colt's.

Up front , will be either just gr2 for the colt, or agx for 1g talon.

Keeping the sprint springs all around.

This will be done within 4-6wks time. I will post later on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:36 pm 
CSM Junkie

Quote:
Quote:
they unhooked the front sway bar and picked ~ 3 tenths on a 40 second course , the front tires had much more grip than with the sway bar hooked up . of course relating to drag racing i'm not sure this would make as much of a difference .
That makes a lot of sense, especially if the car has an open diff. With the sway bar the inside wheel lifts and loses traction-- and tenths.
What if you had a lmtd.slp.diff. ? Would it be any better with the sway bar hooked up? Or just one or the other? Bill Spruill, oldest Colt :-?