4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: 4x114.3 swapped to 4x100
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:30 pm 
Spends Too Much Time Under The Hood

figured i'd make a post here so that people not reading my thread in the members section could learn about this too.

a few months ago silverls was wondering if it was possible to swap the 4x114.3 bolt pattern on a 3G CSM for the 4x100 setup on the 4G CSMs.

i was interested because i had a nice set of 4x100 13" rims wrapped in R-Compounds, and the idea of having the non-captive brakes from a 4G car was appealing to me as well.

89mirageman mentioned in silverls's thread that it might be possible to just bolt everything together, but no one had tried yet. so a quick browse of the local classifieds found me a 4G coupe with a blown engine for 160$ and i was in business.

took me a few months here and there to get around to actually tearing it all apart to try it out. i was spurred on recently due to the local car club announcing the spring autocross season. figured if i wanted to compete with my new R-Compounds i should get off my ass :\

so i tore it all apart, got the front spindles off, along with the calipers and the flex lines, and took the rear drums off, pulled the hubs off and took the backing plates along with all the hardware as well.

jacked up the back of my car, took the drums off and stopped for a second. decided i should make sure the rear hubs really did fit, so i slid them on the rear spindle and it fit fine.

tried the drum on it as well as a 'yeah right, can't be that easy' kind of joke, but lo and behold, they slid right on. perfect. bolted the hubs on and threw the rear tires on.

done that part.

started tearing the front end apart after that. got everything off and set the spindles next to one another to eyeball compare them. looked pretty close, other than the arm for the tie-rod end. the boots on my steering rack are busted anyway, so i just flipped the tie-rods over and bolted them onto the new spindles.

everything went together flawlessly.

i tried to run the flex lines for the 4G car in place of the 3G line, since they used a banjo bolt(wasn't sure i could swap that, thought i had to keep the banjo setup), but after rounding off the nuts on the brake hard-lines, i had a bit of an anger fit and just tried the 3G flex line in the 4G caliper. worked fine, wish i'd known i could swap out banjo bolts in the first place :\ would have saved me some time and frustration.

the flex lines were a little twisted after putting the calipers on, but nothing bad enough to worry about.

wish i'd taken some more pictures of the front end while it was going together, but it got dark, i got frustrated and just threw it all together as fast as i could without thinking to take anymore pics :(

so how did it turn out?

like this:

only issue that came from installing the spindles was a 0.50 degree toe out on each side, though turning the tie-rods in a half turn to flip them over should fix that. no positive camber issues, in fact i still have a degree and a bit negative in the front from the lowering springs.

so 4G spindles seem like a nice upgrade from captive brakes, since these are most times easier to find than the VR4/Expo spindles, and the rest of the VR4 goodies just bolt onto these. you can also press the 4x100 hubs out and press Expo 4x114.3 hubs back in using the 4G bearings.

from MirageForums.net:
Quote:
Basically you remove the seal and a large snap ring, then press the hub and bearing out. Grab a 4 lug hub from a 92-96 expo, colt vista or summit wagon or a 89-93 Galant or a 5 lug hub from any 90-94 eclipse, talon or laser. Buy a new wheel bearing and inner and outer seals for the mirage and press it all back together. Nothing hard about it, just time consuming. I actually welded up a plate that screws onto the end of my Harbor Freight slide hammer/snatcher. I unbolt the caliper and knock the rotor off at the junkyard, remove the 32mm axle nut and bolt up my plate and after a few hard snatches the hub comes flying off. This way you don't have to buy the entire knuckle and bring it home to press out.
thanks for reading :)
quick update: added 4x100 to 4x114.3 hub swap information, solution to the toe out, and new image links.
TL;DR - 4G spindles and brakes fit on 3G cars, have fun.

Last edited by Devolution on Mon May 12, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:10 pm 

nice write-up... now are all 4g's the smaller bolt pattern?

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:17 pm 
CSM Junkie

Do you think only the hubs would swap on? Id love to switch to 4x100 because there are so many more rims that come in that size. Only problem I could see if I swapped is what I would use for front rotors since I did the Elantra rotor/1G DSM caliper setup, and I also swapped to rear disc. Did any of the 4G CSMs come with rear disc?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:20 pm 

Quote:
Do you think only the hubs would swap on? Id love to switch to 4x100 because there are so many more rims that come in that size. Only problem I could see if I swapped is what I would use for front rotors since I did the Elantra rotor/1G DSM caliper setup, and I also swapped to rear disc. Did any of the 4G CSMs come with rear disc?
Some 4g sedans came with rear discs on the upper crust 1.8L cars but they are extremely rare. I have yet to see one in person but I know they exist for sure. The 4g/5g csm guys are redrilling the 276mm 91/92 Galant VR-4 rotors to 4 x 100 and bolting on the dual piston calipers. This is a nice upgrade for such a small car but you also need to upgrade the master cylinder and they use a minimum of a 15" wheel.
Quote:
nice write-up... now are all 4g's the smaller bolt pattern?

Steve
All 4g csm's are 4 x 100

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:16 am 
CSM Junkie

I already have the Elantra Booster/Master Cylinder setup on my car. While this seems like a tempting swap for me, Ill probably just stick it out with the 4x114.3 pattern wheels :(

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:24 am 

for the swap, you don't NEED to change over the bolt pattern.

the stock hubs can be removed and Expo hubs can be pressed in, keeping the 4x114.3 pattern. after that you can either have a set of 4G rotors redrilled so that they fit, OR you can just bolt all the GVR4 goodies(calipers, caliper brackets, and rotors) onto it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:48 pm 
good deal man . i have been wanting to do this :partyman: but just dnt have the time..............

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 3:52 pm 

Quote:
Some 4g sedans came with rear discs on the upper crust 1.8L cars but they are extremely rare.
i seen one of this today at the junkyard.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:22 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Some 4g sedans came with rear discs on the upper crust 1.8L cars but they are extremely rare.
i seen one of this today at the junkyard.
Consider yourself lucky, if you can get the parts pretty cheap it might pay to get them. Some of the 4g guys would be happy to have them.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:58 pm 

if i had the money i would have since it was 50% weekend at the yard. so i could swap mine over.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:35 pm 
the upull it that i go to has about 2 dosen of the 4g cars. i don't understand and none of them are bairly touched.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm 

ok, so i've been hemming and hawing about how i did this swap.

when i was doing the swap, since my steering rack boots were broken, i just flipped the tie-rod ends over without undoing them.

the end result was .50 degrees toe-out.

but, if i were to do this on a car that has good rack boots, i wouldn't be able to just flip them over. so if i undid them and flipped them over half a turn, then tightened it all back up again.....wouldn't this perhaps fix the toe-out? just a thought.

and yeah, i'm necroposting, but it's my own thread, so :p

also, after driving on this setup for several months now, i can honestly say that even after flipping the tie-rod ends, i have had little to no bumpsteer. hell i had more tracking and steering issues after lowering the car than i had after putting this spindle setup on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:53 am 

Still going good?

no issues?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:40 pm 

none whatsoever, car rides great. the coupe brakes are more than enough to stop the sedan, even during autocross. generally a great setup, can even keep your stock bolt pattern if you want to do a little hub swapping.