4g61t.org

Specializing in the 3g CSM
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Re: wet floor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:29 pm 
Some call me a god

Quote:
If you guys want pictures. Give me a week. and it'll be in my garage by then. and i can do a step by step how to.
That would be awesome, maybe Flying Eagle could chuck it in the archives for the 'future CSM generation' that will no doubt come across this problem as these cars get older :lol: :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:45 pm 
The Silent Administrator

Once we get, "the covers off" on this issue with pictures and some write-up, just hit me up or one of the other moderators that are active and we can get it moved to the General section of the archives.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:00 pm 
Some call me a god

I guess those pictures were never taken? Anyone else attempted Red Sleeper's method to stop the leaking?

Its winter here and raining practically every day. Finally a break in the rain today so I got stuck into mine. Basically pulled the fender off to check out the rubber boot that houses the harness going into the car. Instructions as per this thread - http://www.4g61t.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 52&start=0

As I suspected, it's cracked. Any water that runs down the windscreen seeps into this boot and ends up in the cabin. However I think water is coming in through multiple sources, so wouldn't mind giving Red Sleeper's advice a go, some pics of the specific area in question would be nice though! Anyway, I will wait for the rain and see if I get any flooding, if not, I can finally have carpet for the first time in over 2 years!! :o

Will get pics up later :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 pm 
Some call me a god

His method worked for me. I think the leak in this area is very common due to both mentioned problems.

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:52 pm 
The happy administrator

I had and fixed this issue about 3 csm's ago, this might work for you guys. I opened up that grate in front of the windshield and shoved my hand down in there and scooped out about 4 handfuls of black sludge from various leaves/bugs/etc that decomposed into goo over 20 years and clogged up the drain.

Have a:
1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass - 468BBO TH350
Round 3:
1990 Dodge Colt-4G63T 5spd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:05 am 
Some call me a god

natedog, any chance you could elaborate on Red Sleeper's method? I'm having a hard time visualising it. Maybe it's because i'm RHD, are your ECU's in a different place?

Anyway, I finished off the drivers side about 3 hours ago. Still gotta do the other side, but it's going to be an absolute pain to get the guard off, because the monkeys who repaired the car when I crashed it urethaned the indicator in. I can't get it out, gonna try smashing it, I have a spare anyway.

Anywho...

Here's the culprit. One rubber boot, right underneath the hole where the rainwater that goes down the windscreen grate goes

Look closer, and you see the boot is split.

I taped it up good with electrical tape, and then coated it with a thick slab of urethane for good measure.

Just had a bit of rain about 20 minutes ago. Went out to check the floor after it subsided. DRY!!! Looks like this is a success, but will wait for a big downpour before I start celebrating!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:36 am 
Some call me a god

I've done the fix Red Sleeper mentioned on both sides, since I have the dash out of my NA project, I'll try to get some pictures this weekend.

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:19 pm 
Some call me a god

Maybe this picture will help, this is the inside of my drivers side of the na colt. Its right above the harness your showing in yours. Apparently they seam seal it from the factory. Over time the stuff rots out. You can see that I've already repaired this one...

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:56 am 
Some call me a god

Awesome, so it's on both driver and passenger sides? And it's on the side of the car, not in the middle somewhere? Underneath the rubber matting type stuff? I've gotta take my dash out soon and replace it, cause it has a massive crack. Just gotta find a good condition replacement first, so I guess i'll attack that area with sealant while i've got the dash out.

As for my fix yesterday. It rained all night last night, and when I checked the car this morning, found there was still water on the floor, but it's literally half the amount I was getting before. So i'd say after doing your/Red Sleeper's method it should stay dry :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:36 am 
Some call me a god

You do not have to remove the dash to do it. Depending on which side you do the fuse box of ECU and bracket will need to be removed. The rubber mat goes right up to that area, you can just pull it back IIRC. You may have to remove the lower portion of your dash, and or the speaker, but its not too bad. Just what ever it takes to get there. I used a screw driver to scrape out all the rotted sealant, then cleaned the area with alcohol before installing new. It looked like mildew may have played a factor with the sealant corroding away.

84 GMC K3500
85 Dodge D50 Diesel Swap
90 Mighty Max V6
89 Mirage Turbo
94 Mighty Max
99 Montero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:48 am 
Some call me a god

Yup i'd say mildew and constant dampness would definitely have something to do with the sealant corroding away. I've gotta remove the dash anyway, but I think i'll give this a go tomorrow if it's not raining. Awkward area to work in!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:59 pm 
CSM Junkie

Same thing here!
The water come from the antenna cable.
Dead chassis rubber boot...

And the ECU is just below :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 pm 
Some call me a god

Ok, bringing back an old thread again. I recently did the fix that Red Sleeper and nate described above. Ended up pulling my dash cause it seemed more convenient that way (and cause it was cracked anyway), and resealed all the seams under there. Seemed to work but after the car had sat for a month or so in near-constant rain (winter here at the moment), I went out there yesterday and found that a patch of the sealant was kinda gooey and damp, and water had still been seeping through, and I still had a puddle on the floor. Pretty much decided at that point that this problem has to be fixed from the source, otherwise water will still get in and even if you seal the shit out of the inside, it's gonna sit in there behind the seams and slowly rot your sealant away and start seeping through again.

So what I did yesterday is pulled the guard/bonnet/grate off and combed the area for splits. Found nothing by looking through the grate hole, but the seam at the bottom of the drain exit (pic below) was slightly split and a bit rusty. I grinded it back a bit and sealed it up. Today I poured 2.5L of water down the grate hole, and NONE of it made it through into the car. Still gonna wait for a heavy downpour before celebrating, but for now I consider this a success. So for those of you who have water coming into the car, whip your guards off (5-10min a side), chip away the old crap from this seam, and reseal it. And those of you who've done Red Sleeper and nate's fix above, I recommend doing this anyway cause chances are when it rains you're still getting water coming in, just not making it into the passenger compartment.

Sorry I didn't take a before pic, but I haven't done the other side yet so i'll see if I can grab one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:17 am 
The Silent Administrator

Awesome write-up guys. Many people have had water issues, myself included.

If the consensus is that the solutions above have worked out the majority of the water related issues, assuming no windshield leaks, then I can archive this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:47 am 
Some call me a god

I had a replacement windscreen done a year ago so definitely not leaking through there. I think the above solutions have solved the problem for me, but i'll give you confirmation when we get some rain :)